Lucie on Sirius radio April 25

Luvsbway

I caught the show for a second time today and wanted to give a short recap.

Lucie talked a bit about the cabaret show, a bit about moving to palm springs and some random stuff about her parents. Nothing new to report on those fronts.

Seth then got into talking about They’re Playing Our Song and they reflected on how it was a shame no one got the money together to record the show on tape and the only thing that exists is the Tony performance. Was Lincoln Center recording shows back then? Seth asked about any mishaps and Lucie recounted one where the turn table did not function properly and she came into the scene that was supposed to be her apt and the whole set was shifted over to the edge of the stage and the phone she was to answer was already off the hook. Lucie talked about her opening night and how Michael Bennet who was her date kept her from the party for 40 minutes as he was trying to get her to arrive late to be able to take in the whole experience and remember every moment. I have her whole opening night story in a Bway book I need to scan and post sometime.

Another Michael story I enjoyed was about Seesaw. Lucie says they were on tour for about 3 months and Michael in a break from Chorus Line was coming to visit the show. He came backstage to see Lucie after the show and asked to talk to her privately. Lucie thought uh-oh this isn’t good. Michael goes on to say that she was the worst of her understudy, the worst of Michelle Lee and the worst of Lanie Kazan who was fired from the original run of the show. Michael says to meet the next day to go over the show. So Lucie says she couldn’t sleep and cried all night. Turns out it was just a few minor things she was doing which was basically delivering the funny lines as she knew they were funny rather than in the moment. I think it’s called telegraphing the joke. She also said that when they were staging the show Michael had her up to his apartment for drinks, and at one point he says I feel like dancing, dancing with me. Turns out what he was doing was seeing how she naturally moves and how he needed to fit choreography to her.

Nice interview, I was hoping Seth would have had her sing.

I signed up from the Sirius free trial and listened to the interview. I thought it was a great. I'm enjoying my free month of Sirius. 

Seth then got into talking about They’re Playing Our Song and they reflected on how it was a shame no one got the money together to record the show on tape and the only thing that exists is the Tony performance. Was Lincoln Center recording shows back then? 

The Lincoln Center Theater on Film and Tape Archive started in 1970. They mainly concentrated on straight plays at the beginning, but there are some musicals from the early years recorded in poor quality black and white including the national tour of Company (with only Donna McKechnie from the original cast) and the original Off-Broadway production of A Chorus Line. During the run of They're Playing Our Song, Sweeney Todd and Sugar Babies were both recorded, It's a such a shame They're Playing Our Song wasn't. 

Archived