Lucy at Marineland

It wasn't meant as a harsh criticism of Lucy as some people say, it was just a fact and she'd be the first to admit it herself.  But she never considered herself beautiful so she used all the make up tricks they had in Hollywood, as she stated in the Young Fans episode, LOL! 

And do you think Shel, that some actresses, due to their status at some studios were given the best make up and hair people to work on them?

That would make a lot of sense. Not fair though. There is that story of Lucy getting kicked out of the makeup chair for Hepburn.

That was a great story.  Katie was doing Mary, Queen of Scots, a costume epic and always had first dibs in the make up department because of her status at the studio.  Lucy got the guy to work on her as she had a photo shoot or something, on the proviso that when Hepburn got there, she had to exit pronto.  When Kate arrived, Lucy was practically thrown out of the chair and in her rush to leave left her very expensive caps for her teeth.  She tried to get them from the guy as she really needed them, he totally ignored her, repeatedly, so Lucy got upset and threw a coffee cup at him, it landed on Hepburn, who left in a huff.  Hepburn left for the day and it cost the studio a bundle to not have her there for the upcoming scenes to be filmed.  Lucy almost got fired for that stunt, it's said Lela Rogers defended Lucy who had to apologize to everybody, including Hepburn.  It's also said that Hepburn told Lucy that you had to get much higher in the pecking order at the studio to pull a stunt like that.  There, that's the 100th time I've told that story, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Just looked at an old aerial view of Marineland (LA). The whale stadium and the porpoise pool were WAY far away from each other (like, opposite ends of the park) so how the hell did she throw the ball that far? :marionstrong:kt5x0nd92v-d3e13881.jpg If you look at the pool on the bottom of the picture you see that tall high dive made out of stone that Lucy was chased up to.

Maybe she threw it over the wall of the Whale stadium and then it rolled all that way and made it's way over to the stairs of the porpoise/sea lion stadium and kept falling. And this all seemed like it happened in 2 seconds. She throws it and then looks over and it's magically in the pool.

I was at Marineland Canada yesterday. I kept thinking of Lucy. Of course it was nothing like Marineland of the Pacific (which I never went to cuz it closed 2 years before I was born). There were no rides at Marineland CA. And Canada's had Norwegian/viking motif with a lot of trees and there was also an elk/Buffalo/deer/brown bear exhibit.

• 1 year later...

I hadn't seen "Marineland" is quite some time and looking at it again, the opening scene with Harvey Korman, the scene in the bank, entering Mainland with Mooney: all very well-written and well-played.  Overlooking the fact that the move had already happened as the significance is barely referred to, Viv's marriage is glossed over in two sentences and the unbelievable coincidence of Mooney once again managing her trust fund, it's a really solid script.   And touching just the surface of what had happened was not Bob O'Brien's fault.  I'm sure he was told to deal with the transition quickly to get it out of the way

The porpoise tank scene, which should have been the highlight, is where the show falls flat.   This was a bad one to foist on first-time director Maury.  The result was a mishmash of footage edited together so that is just barely has any continuity, and it's a stretch to say it has any. 

My favorite little exchange:

After Lucy lists about 7 or 8 jobs she had in New York, then reveals she lived there two weeks: "It was a matter of adjustment.  New York just doesn't adjust well to some people."

This is the only TLS location show, I don't remember them doing so much dialogue looping in the HL location shows.   The scene with Harvey; and meeting Mooney at the bank certainly could have been done before an audience.  The canned laughter is not too obnoxious because the laughs are THERE in the script. 

Lucy is still at her charming, beautiful best---an improvement, I think, over some of the 3rd season shows where she comes across as a little too harsh---pushing the comedy a bit too much (she had to, when she had little support from the script). 

When Bob O'Brien was at the top of his game, he wrote some of the best of the 4th and 5th seasons: Music World/Wingding, DannyThomas, Dean Martin, Undercover Agent/Countess,Choirmaster, George Burns, Carol Burnett 1 and 2,John Wayne, and Substitute Secretary.  I'm not wild about "Gun Moll" as an episode but it shows Lucy to good advantage (and her singing was never better)  "Main Street part 1" is enjoyable for what it is.  "Main Street part 2" is little too much "Main Street".  His only real dud is "Tennessee Ernie". 

Archived