Jacques Bergerac has died

HarryCarter

"Lucy and the French Movie Star" guest star Jacques Bergerac has died at the age of 87. :( He was also Ginger Rogers' fourth husband. I cannot find any English language obituary at this time. Below is one from a French newspaper poorly translated into English.

French actor Jacques Bergerac, a former Hollywood star and husband of Ginger Rogers, died Sunday, June 15 at the age of 87 years on his property Anglet.

Jacques Bergerac, born in 1927 in Biarritz, spotted by a recruiter studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in Paris when he was a law student, had won its first contract in Hollywood at age 25.

During his career, Jacques Bergerac toured with George Cukor ( The girls , 1957), Vicente Minelli (Gigi , 1958) Ettore Scola or ( hundred million disappeared 1964) and had even won in 1957, a Golden Globe as "Men foreign revelation of the year" .

He married Ginger Rogers in 1953, a meeting which opened many doors in the city of cinema, where he rubbed shoulders with Ava Gardner, Gary Cooper, Humphrey Bogart ...
Passionate rugby

Divorced Ginger Rogers in 1957, Jacques Bergerac remarried in 1959 with Dorothy Malone, with whom he had two daughters before divorcing in 1964 also.

Jacques Bergerac had finally turned the page on the big screen in the late 1960s and returned to France where he was engaged in business, including heading the cosmetics company Revlon France and Parfums Balmain.

He then combined his passion for the sport and commitment to the Basque coast, taking the direction of the rugby club Biarritz Olympique 1980 to 1981.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/cinema-mort-du-comedien-de-jacques-bergerac-ex-mari-de-ginger-rogers-2646628

One of her all time BEST episodes with a real great looking charmer.  Always wondered if it was Ginger who asked that Lucy hire him for her show.  Don't recall ever seeing him in much else.  He was terrific in that part.

Did he remain close with Ginger Rogers?  They divorced ten years before he appeared in that episode.

One of her all time BEST episodes with a real great looking charmer.  Always wondered if it was Ginger who asked that Lucy hire him for her show.  Don't recall ever seeing him in much else.  He was terrific in that part.

Definitely not Ginger's doing - they were long divorced and he apparently was kind of "Desi-ish" with the ladies apparently.  He and Dorothy Malone had a bitter divorce  that's all over the movie mags of the mid 1960's about the time of his TLS appearance.

Sorry, did not know that.  Just assumed, seeing as he was not that well known, that Ginger had asked for her beau to get a job, and Lucy obliged, had no idea they were already divorced.  Didn't care for him much at the time but I do now as CTS plays his public domain ep about once every couple of weeks so I've grown to love the show he did with Lucy.

Ginger was responsible for Jacques' career, though. There are many conflicting accounts about his life before Ginger and their courtship. Most people say that Jacques was studying law in France when he and Ginger met. She either brought him back to Hollywood or he followed her there. Ginger arranged for a screen test for him, which led to a short-lived MGM contract. Ginger and Jacques starred together in the movie Twist of Fate during their marriage.

Very interesting. Now what can you tell us about that Wolders guy Audrey Hepburn was involved with for many years?

I don't know much about Robert Wolders. The only thing I think I've ever seen him in is an episode of Mary Tyler Moore as a guy Mary dates only because he is so good looking. Wolders was married to Merle Oberon for a few years before she died. Then he was with Audrey for years. After Audrey died, he and Leslie Caron dated for a while. For quite a few years now he and Shirlee Fonda have been a couple.

On the Dean Martin roast of Lucy, when Foster Brooks refers to Lucy as being called LOOSE back in their college days, or at least THAT'S WHAT THE FOOTBALL TEAM CALLED HER.  That used to be my favorite clip to play over and over but this one with Jacques Bergerac, where he asks an intoxicated Lucy, ARE YOU READY?, and she answers FOR WHAT?  Cracks me up every single time.

Archived