Lucy MUST SEES

C L A U D E

Besides the 79 Lucy movies, My favorite Husband radio shows, 180 I Love Lucy eps including the pilot and Christmas eps, 13 Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours, 156 Lucy shows and 144 Here's Lucys. Not to mention the various Lucy specials, tributes, talk show appearances, variety show and game show ones, there are also . . .

Besides the 79 Lucy movies, My favorite Husband radio shows, 180 I Love Lucy eps including the pilot and Christmas eps, 13 Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours, 156 Lucy shows and 144 Here's Lucys. Not to mention the various Lucy specials, tributes, talk show appearances, variety show and game show ones, there are also . . .

CBS Salutes Lucy, the First 25 Years which is one of the best tribute specials ever made, and the 50th anniversary one which is one of the worst in my opinion, too many stars on there who had nothing to do with her and an overly long Spanish tribute. Variety Clubs salute to Lucy, one of the most entertaining tributes. The Kennedy Center Honors, more boring than entertaining and HER tribute is too short. If at least the medley saluting her had been with Betty White instead of Pam Dawber, along with Valerie Harper and Bea Arthur, that would have been better. But i think i read that Lucie was supposed to be among the three but her dad had just died the week before, so . . .

Lucy's induction into the very first televised TV Hall of Fame along with Uncle Miltie and the head of CBS William Paley as well as others. The second Night of 100 stars, Lucy missed the first on gary's bad advice, there will be no BIG names there, he was wrong here as he was with most things regarding her career, even Princess Grace and James Cagney in a wheelchair were there. Lucy also missed the third as she had passed on by then, but she was shown in the memorial tribute and got the biggest hand of the night. Lucy at the Oscars, with Bob Hope, one month before she died, they presented these young performers who would be the Oscar winners of tomorrow, 19 young performers, among them Carol Burnett's daughter Carrie who later passed away from cancer.

When Lucy died, there was a famous Nightline tribute with jerkface jerry lewis, and TV pioneer Sid Ceasar. A CBS prime time special called Lucy, hosted by Dan Rather and including President Reagan, Dinah Shore ad the great Dick Van Dyke. All the morning news shows and the nightly newscasts featured tributes and some interviewed friends and associates. Bob Hope finally made a GREAT special with his BOB HOPE'S LOVE AFFAIR WITH LUCY featuring some of their best sketches. One of the all time best is Lucy and Desi, a Home Movie, featuring film footage made by Lucy and Desi over the years and put together by their daughter who got an Emmy for this work.

Some of Lucy's BEST talk show interviews were with Merv on The Merv Griffin Show, The Dick Cavett show and The Mike Douglas show as well as The Tonight show with carson and three better ones with Joan Rivers, two with her guest hosting The Tonight show and the other one when Joan had her own show on Fox. Lucy also appeared often with Dinah and Virginia Graham and even did a Tomorrow show with Tom Snyder. We Lucy fans have been waiting for a copy of that one over the decades.

There are many Lucy appearances on game shows, the best ones being on Password which Lucy loved, some with family, some with friends. And of course there are loads of variety show gigs that Lucy did over the decades and her guest stints on comedy series, BEFORE they started handing out Emmys for those. :lucyblah:

Now that MOST of these are coming out on dvd, any Lucy fan can get to see Lucy's best work over the decades and see why she earned the title of First Lady of Television, Queen of Comedy added to her film titles of Queen of the B's or Technicolor Tessie. Adding to her four Emmy awards, two for I Love Lucy and two more for The Lucy Show, and her Governor's award Emmy given to her after she passed on and accepted by gary. Five Emmys in all after thirteen nominations. The Cecil B Demille award at The Golden Globes, two Friars tributes, one with Desi and one as the first woman so honored. Induction into the first ever TV Hall of Fame ceremony and the Kennedy Center Honors the year Desi died and the year of Life with Lucy. The Presidential Medal of Freedom after she passed on and several stamps with her likeness from the US Postal Service, and she did not need to ride a conveyor belt at the post office to get those.

The Danny Kaye Specials with Lucy were once issued on Beta, hope they do it again on DVD. The Jack Benny one with Lucy on his show and with George Burns came out also, please reissue. And it would be nice to have the Carol Burnett special, Carol Plus Two which were Lucy and Zero Mostel out on dvd also. The special served as a pilot for her long running variety show and features two great Lucy and Carol sketches, goodbye baby and Chutzpah!

Wow, fantastic summary, Claude! My neck hurts from nodding along as I read your posts :) . I like the First 25 Years DVD, too, & remember watching the Kennedy Center Honors show when she was one of the recipients. What sticks in my mind is when someone onstage read a note from Desi who had died only a few days before. He had ended it with " ...I Love Lucy was never just the name of a show" (or something along those lines). They cut to Lucy who had started sobbing & I just wanted to reach through the television & hug her. It was so touching that even on his deathbed he wanted to take part in her tribute & tell her again how much he loved her. :lucydesi:

Wow, fantastic summary, Claude! My neck hurts from nodding along as I read your posts :) . I like the First 25 Years DVD, too, & remember watching the Kennedy Center Honors show when she was one of the recipients. What sticks in my mind is when someone onstage read a note from Desi who had died only a few days before. He had ended it with " ...I Love Lucy was never just the name of a show" (or something along those lines). They cut to Lucy who had started sobbing & I just wanted to reach through the television & hug her. It was so touching that even on his deathbed he wanted to take part in her tribute & tell her again how much he loved her. :lucydesi:

The story is that Desi himself was supposed to be there and read that or rather SAY THAT to her in the tribute, but he got sick, so sick that he couldn't leave his bed as the ceremony got closer and he died a few days earlier. Lucy found out while she was doing Password with Betty White and Betty says that Lucy turned to her and said something to the effect that she didn't realize how much his death would affect her. So, they asked Robert Stack, who had starred with Lucy on her show and had done The Untouchables for Desilu and has he got his job from Desi in real life, he read the comments from Desi to the crowd. It was I LOVE LUCY WAS NEVER JUST A TITLE. It doesn't matter that he was not there to tell her as they had both told each other how much they still loved each other on the phone and Lucie was a witness to all that and told us later. Typical Lucy is that the night of the Kennedy Center honors and especially seeing Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn getting their tribute together as performers and a married couple, she felt Desi should have been up there with her, receiving the honor alongside with her.

Archived