Robin Williams Has Died

FreddieMertz

Yup, that's what Schneider intimated, that the medication had all these weird side effects.  Like those commercials we see that have so many bad side effects for certain medications that they list everything and I think it would scare the average person to just not take it, you're better off fighting one ailment rather than having ten new ones,.

Oh I don't think he planned it. You could tell he really loved his kids and if he had given it a great deal of thought I think he would have talked himself out of it. Plus the cuts on his wrist suggest he just found himself in a very dark place and he snapped. Mental illness can be evasive but depression can rear its ugly head after several compounding events in your life. And for Robin I think the cancellation of his show was one of them. I know there doesn't have to be a WHY with depression but still.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Geez, he's gone but still with us . . . not only does he appear in the movie Night at the Museum currently playing in theaters but he also had a cameo on the Kelly Clarkson Christmas special that just played on NBC tonight.  And i read that other movies he completed before his death are still to be released.

LittleRickyII, for a 6 year old you're quite insightful.

Robin Williams illustrates the paradox so frustrating throughout time.  That downside to genius.  You can't be as crazy, zany and manic as Williams and expect to then function as a normal person.  We see the great fun they're having.  We don't see their struggles off-stage, where the bulk of their time is spent.  Same with Judy, Liza and a host of really intense artists of history.  It's so sad.  We love them, but from afar.  ("the audience that adores you blindly" as sung by Lauren Bacall in "Something Better" from "Applause") And that's not something they can take home.  I don't know anything about Robin's home life, but Judy and Liza's were disasters.   From all accounts of peers, Robin was the nicest person who never had anything bad to say about anyone, a rarity in show biz. 

Like Jonathan Winters, I always felt Robin was funnier than his material.  Never really got into "Mork".  You can't take someone like Robin Williams and confine them to a stilted scripted show.

I never got the impression that Lucy was that type of performer.  She loved to perform and lived for it, but I don't think she needed to be "on" in her personal life like a lot of comics.

I'm seeing lots of similarities between the two. I keep hearing that Robin Williams was a totally different person in private, and had a hard time relating to people one on one. Sound familiar? I remember hearing someone who knew Lucille Ball personally (Lucie maybe?)  say it was as if she had an on/off switch.  And when the switch was off, she would withdraw and become dark and quiet.  One of Robin Williams' friends said the other day that when he didn't have at least two or more people with him -- an audience -- he would become quiet and remote, almost like you were strangers.  One of his friends said he lacked social skills and was uncomfortable on a personal level.  But when he was performing, he came alive.  That's when he was his happiest.  He needed to work.  Lucy also needed to work.  Like him, without work she became very depressed.

Robin was in a downward spiral recently, and it appears the cancellation of his TV show, and his Parkinson's diagnosis had something to do with his depression.  Both of these things meant he couldn't work.  Like Taylor commented, his comedy was very physical.  Parkinson's would have put an end to that.  On top of that was a very expensive divorce a few years ago, the death of one of his two brothers several years ago, and that of his long-time best friend, Christopher Reeve, back in '04, which he may have never gotten over, and the death of his friend and idol, Jonathan Winters, last year.

• 2 weeks later...

LittleRickyII, for a 6 year old you're quite insightful.

I guess it must be because I'm a six year-old that Jimmy and Brock brought Wanda to see Pippen instead of me?  ;) Ageism!

Robin Williams illustrates the paradox so frustrating throughout time.  That downside to genius.  You can't be as crazy, zany and manic as Williams and expect to then function as a normal person.  We see the great fun they're having.  We don't see their struggles off-stage, where the bulk of their time is spent.  Same with Judy, Liza and a host of really intense artists of history.  It's so sad.  We love them, but from afar.  ("the audience that adores you blindly" as sung by Lauren Bacall in "Something Better" from "Applause") And that's not something they can take home.  I don't know anything about Robin's home life, but Judy and Liza's were disasters.   From all accounts of peers, Robin was the nicest person who never had anything bad to say about anyone, a rarity in show biz. 

Like Jonathan Winters, I always felt Robin was funnier than his material.  Never really got into "Mork".  You can't take someone like Robin Williams and confine them to a stilted scripted show.

I never got the impression that Lucy was that type of performer.  She loved to perform and lived for it, but I don't think she needed to be "on" in her personal life like a lot of comics.

I was a fan of Mork at the beginning of the series.  Of course, I was also a kid at the time, which may explain the appeal to me back then.  But I agree, the show was beneath him.  He really showed was he was capable of in his movies.  Mrs. Doubtfire and Goodwill Hunting are a couple of my all-time favorites.  As for Lucy's performance style, no she was not manic like Williams, but some might say she was somewhat that way with the intensity in which she worked, often juggling many things at one time -- more than she needed to.  They both were very driven people, beyond what most would consider normal and healthy.  And by most accounts, when the lights were off and they were not in front of an audience, they became very different people.

I guess it must be because I'm a six year-old that Jimmy and Brock brought Wanda to see Pippen instead of me?  ;) Ageism!

I was a fan of Mork at the beginning of the series.  Of course, I was also a kid at the time, which may explain the appeal to me back then.  But I agree, the show was beneath him.  He really showed was he was capable of in his movies.  Mrs. Doubtfire and Goodwill Hunting are a couple of my all-time favorites.  As for Lucy's performance style, no she was not manic like Williams, but some might say she was somewhat that way with the intensity in which she worked, often juggling many things at one time -- more than she needed to.  They both were very driven people, beyond what most would consider normal and healthy.  And by most accounts, when the lights were off and they were not in front of an audience, they became very different people.

Saw Mr Williams in two movies i owned but had never watched before, The Night Listener and One Hour Photo, his range was incredible.  My boyfriend's fave movie of his, he's a huge fan of his work, is Good Will Hunting, mine is Dead Poet's Society.  Saw Mrs Doubtfire recently and had forgotten how great he is in that.

• 5 weeks later...

So now it looks like Robin's kids and widow are in an ugly battle over some of his personal belongings...though im sure its more than that. To tell you the truth there's something about his third wife that's rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe im being unfair but... anyway im on the kids side with this one.

So now it looks like Robin's kids and widow are in an ugly battle over some of his personal belongings...though im sure its more than that. To tell you the truth there's something about his third wife that's rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe im being unfair but... anyway im on the kids side with this one.

Well, obviously he couldn't have been that happy with his bride of three years, i mean, if he committed suicide.  Weren't they mostly living apart too?  Anyway, these THINGS she is stopping the kids from getting are from his work over forty years, an Oscar, several Golden Globes and Grammys as well as collections he aquired over the years, but shocking is the wife wanting his watch collection, can you imagine?  His wife depriving his kids from getting his watches, it's not like she'll wear them. 

I don't blame Susan for Robin's depression...depression is a mental illness and its not her fault. Ive just been really bothered by the fact that she didn't check on him before she left the house the day he died. I mean he looked AWFUL in the pictures taken before the suicide. If I had a loved one suffering like that id be checking up on them. I don't blame her for his death. I just don't like how she left without checking in on him. Very weird.

I don't blame Susan for Robin's depression...depression is a mental illness and its not her fault. Ive just been really bothered by the fact that she didn't check on him before she left the house the day he died. I mean he looked AWFUL in the pictures taken before the suicide. If I had a loved one suffering like that id be checking up on them. I don't blame her for his death. I just don't like how she left without checking in on him. Very weird.

I understand that, knowing how suicide works, the only person responsible for Robin's death is Robin.  But stopping his kids from getting things he willed to them is what i'm upset about.  I remember all three of his wives and have no idea why he wound up with this one at the end.

In the articles ive read today it states that she "panicked" after someone from the Robin Wiliams trust (im assuming that's who it was) came in to appraise certain things that should go to the kids. Really? You panicked? If your relationship with the kids is even decent why not just ring them up and let them know how your feeling? Instead she's blocking them from the house. This tells me everything I need to know about her relationship with them. Not good. I know this is a terrible time for everyone but still... you PANICKED lady?! Good grief.

In the articles ive read today it states that she "panicked" after someone from the Robin Wiliams trust (im assuming that's who it was) came in to appraise certain things that should go to the kids. Really? You panicked? If your relationship with the kids is even decent why not just ring them up and let them know how your feeling? Instead she's blocking them from the house. This tells me everything I need to know about her relationship with them. Not good. I know this is a terrible time for everyone but still... you PANICKED lady?! Good grief.

Very well said and so true.

Archived