Carol Burnett to accept award from museum...

Brock

... the relatively nearby Jimmy Stewart Museum, that is. ;) (Sorry, I couldn't resist given many Lounge discussions over the past weekend in J-Town.) :lucythrill:

Earlobe-tugging television legend Carol Burnett has been named this year’s winner of the Harvey Award to be presented by the James M. Stewart Museum Foundation.

Burnett, an actress, comedian, singer and writer best known as the star of “The Carol Burnett Show” from 1967 to 1978, will accept the museum’s award at a dinner and ceremony Friday, Oct. 3, at the Chestnut Ridge resort near Blairsville in Burrell Township.

Museum Foundation President Jeffrey Tobin announced Burnett’s appearance today.

“What a statement Carol Burnett has made, to offer her time and talents in support of our museum fundraiser,” Tobin said in a news release. “This gift is a testament to the life of Jimmy Stewart and to the value of continuing his legacy here in Indiana. In spite of her hectic schedule, she chose to join us during our fundraiser to recognize his life and legacy.”

http://www.indianagazette.com/news/indiana-news/carol-burnett-to-get-harvey-award,20401771/

Hopefully this plants a seed or two of who should be among the first inductees in the National Comedy Hall of Fame. ;)

I've been to the Jimmy Stewart Museum twice, I really love the place. Not much in the way of costumes (which probably would have been fairly boring anyway), but they have tons of movie posters, ads, etc. Their real showpieces are items from Jimmy's childhood home (including the bed his father made him) as well as his home on Roxbury (from the front door to his office). But considering how much trouble I've heard the place has been in, I'm surprised they were able to throw something together to get Carol. Clearly the folks in Jamestown need to take notes...

I've been to the Jimmy Stewart Museum twice, I really love the place. Not much in the way of costumes (which probably would have been fairly boring anyway), but they have tons of movie posters, ads, etc. Their real showpieces are items from Jimmy's childhood home (including the bed his father made him) as well as his home on Roxbury (from the front door to his office). But considering how much trouble I've heard the place has been in, I'm surprised they were able to throw something together to get Carol. Clearly the folks in Jamestown need to take notes...

Hopefully Journey sees this and it will be extra incentive to get Carol to Jamestown.  :)

It seems like ever year there is the i wonder if Carol will be the headliner. Was she ever officially asked? If so why did she decline? And if it was for temporary reasons was she ever asked again?

My understanding is that Carol has been asked.  The last time she was asked, as I was told by a Center employee, Carol wanted $100,000 honorarium plus her own private flight/airliner.  Assuming this is true - aside from the private flight - she wouldn't be that much more than Leno, who I heard go $60,000...and he was only there for a few hours.

It seems like ever year there is the i wonder if Carol will be the headliner. Was she ever officially asked? If so why did she decline? And if it was for temporary reasons was she ever asked again?

Be a GREAT question for arrdubya (if you'd get the truth, that is); seems she WAS invited (supposedly); she sent a letter of apology; but, that (supposedly) if 'planets re-alligned', or somesuch' language in apology, she would try to make it. 

I never saw the 'letter of apology'; just the excuses, and/other fairy tales.... 

Probably translated into dollars; but, was certainly years after Carol retired from weekly shows (so I'm told) - I was full-time, or nearly, volunteer from October 2002 - July 2007 - seems the planets and/or stars never re-alligned....  someone out there knows the 'story'; but, 'they' are absent now.

Lucie got John Edward to come to Jamestown (2002); wonder, I 'they' are as close as Lucie says, Carol would have come for HER, if asked....  Maybe she STILL WOULD....

Be a GREAT question for arrdubya (if you'd get the truth, that is); seems she WAS invited (supposedly); she sent a letter of apology; but, that (supposedly) if 'planets re-alligned', or somesuch' language in apology, she would try to make it. 

I never saw the 'letter of apology'; just the excuses, and/other fairy tales.... 

Probably translated into dollars; but, was certainly years after Carol retired from weekly shows (so I'm told) - I was full-time, or nearly, volunteer from October 2002 - July 2007 - seems the planets and/or stars never re-alligned....  someone out there knows the 'story'; but, 'they' are absent now.

Lucie got John Edward to come to Jamestown (2002); wonder, If 'they' are as close as Lucie says, Carol would have come for HER, if asked....  Maybe she STILL WOULD....

We can thank Barbara McNair for this one:  [was editing her entry on the day she passed away] and look-y what I found:

2/4/07:   

The Post-Journal: Famous Actress Is Impressed With Lucy Museum: A personal note from Carol Burnett: ‘To Everyone in Lucy’s Hometown: Lucille Ball was my good friend. To her, I was ‘The Kid’, and she was a tremendous friend and mentor. Her passing left a hole in my heart that can never be filled. I am thrilled at the work you are doing to preserve her legacy of love and laughter. Should the stars align properly, I will welcome the opportunity to visit Jamestown and celebrate her legacy with you,” published this date in 2007.

ARNCHAGLAD I'm doing this??????  And, speaking of arrdubya, wonder what he would think of it; it was his idea, you know (and he tried like crazy to get me to 'sign off' - and it was a mere cuppla hundred pages at the time - now, approaching 1000.......

My understanding is that Carol has been asked.  The last time she was asked, as I was told by a Center employee, Carol wanted $100,000 honorarium plus her own private flight/airliner.  Assuming this is true - aside from the private flight - she wouldn't be that much more than Leno, who I heard go $60,000...and he was only there for a few hours.

Mary Jane:  I've NEVER heard THAT story!!!!  Thanks for sharing; sometime, you MUST share it with me who told you such...

Loving you, JK

Archived