Lauren Bacall has died

HarryCarter

Watched that clip of Bacall getting her much deserved SPECIAL Oscar.  Her five to six minute speech was delightful.  Also read that one time, Gloria Vanderbilt gave a special dinner for Claudette Colbert, and Betty Bacall was a guest.  At the dinner table, Gloria's 14 year old son, Anderson, got into a spirited discussion about the Middle East and the fact that there should be a Palestinian state.  Miss Bacall, a pro Israel devotee let him have it with both barrels and 14 year old Anderson Cooper left the table in tears. 

Watched that clip of Bacall getting her much deserved SPECIAL Oscar. Her five to six minute speech was delightful. Also read that one time, Gloria Vanderbilt gave a special dinner for Claudette Colbert, and Betty Bacall was a guest. At the dinner table, Gloria's 14 year old son, Anderson, got into a spirited discussion about the Middle East and the fact that there should be a Palestinian state. Miss Bacall, a pro Israel devotee let him have it with both barrels and 14 year old Anderson Cooper left the table in tears.

Considering my strong dislike for Cooper, I love this.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if she was buried with anything.

In her 1944 movie debut, Lauren Bacall told Humphrey Bogart, “You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together and ... blow.” Sometime during their fabled love affair, Bogie gave Bacall a golden whistle charm to honor the meeting. When he died in 1957, the charm was buried with his ashes. Bacall had it engraved with the phrase, “If you want anything, just whistle.”

Archived