Lucie to direct reading of "Hazel" musical

HarryCarter

Lucie will be directing a reading of the musical version of "Hazel" (not Pierce) in October. The musical is written by her good friends and collaborators Ron Abel and Chuck Steffan.

Lucie Arnaz will direct an upcoming New York City reading of a musical based on Ted Key's cartoon character Hazel — best known for her appearance in a 1961-66 TV sitcom of the same name.

The musical, which was first announced to be in development for Broadway in 2010, is written by composer Ron Abel (the musicals Rockwell: Life on a PaletteTwist of FateBlame It on the Movies) and lyricist Chuck Steffan (the musical Is This Your Life?).

Lissa Levin, a Kleban Award-winning playwright and Emmy-nominated producer, wrote the book.

Arnaz (They're Playing Our Song), who will join thenational tour of Pippin in September, will helm the 29-hour AEA reading that will take place in late October, according to an Equity casting notice.

According to the creators, "Hazel, A Musical Maid in America is a new show based on the iconic sixties Emmy award winning series and famous Saturday Evening Post cartoon; the latter penned by Ted Key, who also created the characters and format upon which Mr. Peabody and Sherman are based."

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/194593-Reading-of-Hazel-Musical-to-Be-Helmed-by-Lucie-Arnaz

As Ricky would say "Now I've heard everythin', brudder"!!

Not that anyone's asking ME, but I propose this as the HAZEL, THE MUSICAL title song with tune borrowed from Jerry Herman:

"How did the Baxters manage before

HAZ--EL?

Who's always outwitting Don Defore?

HAZ-EL

Who'll move with Bobbie Buntrock

To two new Baxters at a new address?

For casting that's a stunt, Brock

Should play Harold when it's on CBS.

Who's the domestic with more pizzazz?

HA-ZEL

No actress could top Shirley Booth as

HA-ZEL

Who plots with Maudie Prickett

And deflates sister Diedre haughty ways?

Who's feisty as a terrier?

Who moves her ample derriere?

What maid made mayhem merrier?

HAZ---EL! HAZ---EL!! HAZ---EL!!!

Lucie will be directing a reading of the musical version of "Hazel" (not Pierce) in October. The musical is written by her good friends and collaborators Ron Abel and Chuck Steffan.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/194593-Reading-of-Hazel-Musical-to-Be-Helmed-by-Lucie-Arnaz

Hilarious as always, Neil!

A couple of years ago, I saw Lucie in concert and when she introduced Ron Abel, she said "He's writing a Hazel musical...and not Hazel Pierce." I almost fell off my chair laughing. I don't think anyone else got the reference.

lololol.... Hey, I don't know why nobody has hopped on the idea of a Hazel Pierce musical!

Ron Abel is responsible for the great arrangement of "Hey, Look Me Over" Lucie does in her act. It originated for someone else who sang it at one of those STAGE benefits, this one centered around Cy Coleman music.

A couple of years ago, I saw Lucie in concert and when she introduced Ron Abel, she said "He's writing a Hazel musical...and not Hazel Pierce." I almost fell off my chair laughing. I don't think anyone else got the reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron Abel was at the Bend-Knee-Feet show Sunday night and at the after-party, I almost got up the nerve to pitch my Hazel song to him. (they were making the drinks strong). Luckily I decided not to. He MIGHT not know I was kidding and would think me a crackpot. Yes, I know. YOU know it. I know it. I don't see why Ron Abel has to know it!!

As Ricky would say "Now I've heard everythin', brudder"!!

Not that anyone's asking ME, but I propose this as the HAZEL, THE MUSICAL title song with tune borrowed from Jerry Herman:

"How did the Baxters manage before

HAZ--EL?

Who's always outwitting Don Defore?

HAZ-EL

Who'll move with Bobbie Buntrock

To two new Baxters at a new address?

For casting that's a stunt, Brock

Should play Harold when it's on CBS.

Who's the domestic with more pizzazz?

HA-ZEL

No actress could top Shirley Booth as

HA-ZEL

Who plots with Maudie Prickett

And deflates sister Diedre haughty ways?

Who's feisty as a terrier?

Who moves her ample derriere?

What maid made mayhem merrier?

HAZ---EL! HAZ---EL!! HAZ---EL!!!

• 1 month later...

A Hazel Pierce musical would have to include a scene about a stand-in given her big chance and not committing the song lyrics to memory as in Cleopatra's "Hello Hello Hello" to which Hazel moves her mouth out of sync with the lyrics other than the main chorus.   I'll wager the lyrics were on cue cards, so maybe the comic bit  (in the alternate universe "Hazel" musical) could be that Hazel didn't bother memorizing and thought she would rely on cue cards but just before air-time, they told myopic Hazel she could not wear her glasses.

As I recall, Viv's stand-in "Mary Lou" didn't do much better with the song.  Do you think they were thrown in at the last minute with little or no rehearsal?

• 1 month later...

Archived