2014 Lucy Town Marathon and 5K Race + Entertainment Scheduled

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Laugh and Run - Newhart To Kick Off Lucy Town Half Marathon Weekend, by Gavin Paterniti - “Bob Newhart will join the roster of renowned comedians to visit Jamestown this year as the featured performer of the Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K Weekend in October.   Newhart will be showcased on Friday, October 10, Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, kicking off the annual event,” published for this date in 2014.

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Sports page - Calling All Runners - Lucy Town Half Marathon Organizers Preparing for OctoberRace, by Scott Kindberg - "Six weeks away from hosting the second annual Lucy Town Half Marathon, David Reinhardt sat inside the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena on Wednesday afternoon and happily recalled the inaugural event in 2013," published for this date in 2014. 

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Laugh and Run - Newhart To Kick Off Lucy Town Half Marathon Weekend, by Gavin Paterniti - “Bob Newhart will join the roster of renowned comedians to visit Jamestown this year as the featured performer of the Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K Weekend in October.   Newhart will be showcased on Friday, October 10, Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, kicking off the annual event,” published for this date in 2014.

While I'm glad to see the event's being publicized, someone somewhere has their dates wrong.  According to www.lucyrace.com and the Reg's website Newhart will be performing on Saturday, October 11.  I'm sure this info has been quoted accurately here on the lounge, so there's something wrong somewhere else.

Gregg:  The Marathon evening entertainment was mentioned in another thread in this Lounge; and I commented there that the P-J had printed the 'change' the following day, due to schedule conflict of Mr. Newhart; just in case you missed it. 

See you then.....  Loving you, JK

Gregg:  The Marathon evening entertainment was mentioned in another thread in this Lounge; and I commented there that the P-J had printed the 'change' the following day, due to schedule conflict of Mr. Newhart; just in case you missed it. 

See you then.....  Loving you, JK

I primarily follow The Poultry Growers Annual Ball on this Loung, so I would have missed that.  Glad to know that the P-J did print the correction/change.

• 1 month later...

September 30, 2014

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY - Stomping Grounds - World Record Grape Stomp Attempt to be held in Jamestown October 11, by Gavin Paterniti - “Area residents will have an opportunity to set a world record from right in downtown Jamestown, Saturday, October 11, and organizers hope for at least a thousand who will set foot in a vat the size of two city blocks [40-feet by 200-feet], and stomp 60 tons of Concord grapes (Chautauqua County being the oldest grape-growing region in the world, as well as the largest grape-growing region in the country east of the Rockies); an act solidifying Jamestown in the Guinness World Record Book, as having the largest number of people stomping grapes at one time [previous record: 977 participants, northern Spain]. Event will take place midst a full weekend of events collectively known as Lucy Town Half Marathon and 5K Weekend, in its second year, an action-packed gala sponsored by Lucy-Desi Museum and Center for Comedy, Chautauqua Striders and the Jamestown Savings Bank Arena, spanning October 11 & 12. Another highlight of the weekend is Bob Newhart appearing at the Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, October 11, 8 p.m.,” published this date in 2014.

9/30/14 - Question of the Day - 

The Post Journal, Jamestown NY - Question Of The Day [results from yesterday's question] - Would you like to participate in the world record grape stomp? - Results: Yes 19%; No 87%, published this date in 2014.  

10/1/14 - am awaiting a call from Post-Journal with exact numbers of persons voting in the percentages category - will get back to you....JK

Sad, native that I am, to think that Jamestown 'old-timers' do not support Lucille as the world does.  There are still hundreds around who do, however; thus, the festivals and celebrations; tourism she brings in; $$ she brings to the area; and her legacy appreciated with the addition of the Center for Comedy theme. 

Still awaiting the numbers from the Question of the Day promised; will have it when the P-J gets back to me.  JK

Lol, I just figured someone at the paper had screwed that up too!

Well, he sure as hell doesn't answer his phone messages (2 so far; if he doesn't get back to me, I'll send one every 5 minutes...

just kidding) - just so you understand, this newspaper is the only one in Jamestown; they don't care; sometimes, the layout person puts two cartoons of Dennis the Menace, instead of Marmaduke (on the same page!!!!), and/or vice versa;  and it's more fun to read the headlines than the facts, as printed . . . so, proofreaders fail, too.  All in all, front to back leaving out the ads, a slow person reading can do it in about 20 minutes.  Highlight of MY DAY!!!!  Loving you, JK

Yesterday's Post-Journal printed there are 1100 signed up for the World Record challenge 'grape-stomp'; world record now held in Spain of, I believe, 900 and some.  We will soon know; as today, at 1:00, this event takes place; this morning the walk/run; tonight, Bob Newhart; and tomorrow morning, the 5K race.  I'll report in the a.m. about Newhart; since I've a ticket and a date; and I don't believe he's sold out at the Reg, which holds about 1200.  I like him from childhood; especially, his 'phone' act!  Hope he does that.  They have lined up local talent, as a big band opening act. 

Yesterday's Post-Journal printed there are 1100 signed up for the World Record challenge 'grape-stomp'; world record now held in Spain of, I believe, 900 and some.  We will soon know; as today, at 1:00, this event takes place; this morning the walk/run; tonight, Bob Newhart; and tomorrow morning, the 5K race.  I'll report in the a.m. about Newhart; since I've a ticket and a date; and I don't believe he's sold out at the Reg, which holds about 1200.  I like him from childhood; especially, his 'phone' act!  Hope he does that.  They have lined up local talent, as a big band opening act. 

I'll keep my eye out for you and your hot date tonight! :D

Archived