Lucy rumours & stories - true or false?

Caewi

I remember Frank Gorey speaking at a Jamestown festival saying that at one point during Wildcat, Desi met up with Lucy after a show and as Frank put it, he "thought things would be very different in the morning". But they weren't.

Ohh I love this, thanks for sharing. Did Frank say anything else, he has such great stories on Stu's show?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened with her and Audrey Meadows? I think I read somewhere they had a THING on Life With Lucy.. I believe Lucy put cake and icing (per the script) all over Audrey's face..and Audrey wasn't happy.. anyone know the details? I believe Lucy even apologized but why would Meadows be agitated over a rehearsal stint?

They had this torrid affair, gary got wind of it and threatened Audrey with a threesome . . . seriously, I also read the cake frosting thing, probably in the same book you did, but you know how people love to make stories out of nothing, probably one of her frustrated staff like moron thompson or little herbie dimwit.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok.. What about that Rheumatoid Arthritis deal..

Once you have it it stays with you right?? How come we never revisit that disorder? I thought it was a cover up for a botched abortion which could explain her difficulty getting pregnant. Anyone know the lowdown on this?

It probably was a cover story for something like a botched abortion.  Nobody can verify it now, it happened 80+ years ago and all of Lucy's confidantes from that time are dead now.  I think Marion Strong was quoted as saying Lucy did something during this time that she wouldn't normally have done and that she (Marion) would take whatever it was to her grave. Another source said she did indeed have an abortion at 19 and had confided in Marion about it.  It would explain Lucy having trouble getting pregnant later on as well as her miscarriages.

Hopefully, one day, we wil get AWAY FROM THIS 'STUFF' - no need to keep it UP FRONT AND PERSONAL.... 

And, you are ALL probably just guessing; since it is all behind ALL of us....

Lucille had to live with her own 'stuff' - as WE ALL DO!!!!  She, in a word, MADE IT GOOD - how many of US can say the same?  She overcame her demons and publicly did it well!

That [STUFF] is something for the local (here) GOSSIP TRAIN, which should stop (here)  - and will when Celoron gossip (yes, there remains one) dies.  Just so you realize, this 'person' (can't really call her human) - lived in MY NEIGHBORHOOD when I was a tot and growing up; so, I know, gossiped about EVERYONE [all on this Lounge should know she has some STUFF that could be talked about of her own to hide; but, none of us wants to stoop to HER LEVEL!!!!]  - SHE STILL gossips about everyone!!!! [and she is approaching +90 her own self!!!!]

Lucille loved (as a friend; but, called him her 'boyfriend') and, he was this woman's (above) father when she was a younger-than-teenager, growing up in Celoron; when he was an unmaried pre-teen himself!!.  HE was a good person; a popular Celoron young man; and had a couple of 'other' nice children, - ones I grew up with - except for this woman, his daughter.  He died many years before Lucille, or would probably have killed his own child if he knew what stuff she puts out there.  That's just my guess. 

Let's try to, PLEASE???, steer ourselves AWAY from this STUFF from now on.....  Rrespectfully submitted, JK

What confuses this story is she didn’t just come out and say she had rheumatoid arthritis from the get go. The car accident in Central Park story went around for a LONG time. I can understand a cover up story but why change it half way through your life? It wasn’t just something printed in studio bios in the 30s and 40s but this went through to the 50s’ I came across an article the other day from the 50s mentioning the accident and in The Toast of the Town (1954) the roast master mentions it. The Harris book does say it was arthritis and Lucy details it pretty well in her book about getting sick at Hattie’s. So how many months/years are we talking about? I’ve seen it mentioned as being as long as 3 years which makes no sense in the timeline. Both stories do have her saying she had to learn how to walk again. I’ve also heard it said that since rheumatoid is a life long illness that she didn’t have this but something else. That makes much more sense.

Marion’s comments are interesting. I think NYC was a tough time for Lucy and Marion did come to NYC with her for a short time before she got homesick and went back to Jamestown. Lucy would also make trips back and forth at this time due to homesickness herself. Putting things together from her own book she still seemed involved or at least friendly with Johnny at this time who apparently would help her out with funds to get to and from NYC. I find these NYC years interesting because other than her work in the city and stories about how to eat on very little money her personal life seems so vague.

It probably was a cover story for something like a botched abortion.  Nobody can verify it now, it happened 80+ years ago and all of Lucy's confidantes from that time are dead now.  I think Marion Strong was quoted as saying Lucy did something during this time that she wouldn't normally have done and that she (Marion) would take whatever it was to her grave. Another source said she did indeed have an abortion at 19 and had confided in Marion about it.  It would explain Lucy having trouble getting pregnant later on as well as her miscarriages.

So it wasn't true?!?!? ...all this time, i honestly thought...well,thats show business...first my fatherly view of Cosby is diminished and now this!? oy ve' 2014 why why why 

The NYC years always fascinated me. Two instances I have heard Lucy tell a NYC story have been really interesting and amusing. One she tells in detail in the college seminar audio that is on YouTube. It’s on ZaZa Pitts. Another from the same seminar is how she wanted to buy Christmas gifts for people but was always poor so she talks about what that was like.

Another one she tells on the Dick Cavette Show. Lucy tends to exaggerate so I wonder if it was 100% true but there are facts here I have seen in other sources. She was in NYC and had got a chorus part in Rio Rita and told everyone in Jamestown she was going to be on Broadway. The next day the whole line get’s let go. Lucy said all the other girls left but the stupid teenager she was she just stood in front of the theatre crying. A man came out and gave her some advice and that there would be other roles. The guy then walks off and Lucy said she followed him crying for 2 blocks until he turned around and told her to stop following him. Lucy then went on saying that she was so upset and didn’t know how she was going to tell people back home she got fired. She thought she should just end it all now. Then she got this idea to get hit by a car. Saw a huge limo pass her and then runs out in front of it. It just stopped and she gave up the suicide attempt. It really did sound like a young and dumb story but you should have seen the look on Lucie’s face. She seemed really sad and concerned at the same time. Dick says well it was good he stopped or I would be talking to an empty chair. Lucie then says “2 empty chairs.” Lucy also said that she had not told Lucie some of this NYC stuff earlier as she thought she was too young but that she was old enough to hear it now.

The dinner plate money story is cute when paired with her stuffing rolls in her purse but you just made $100 for “having dinner” with a guy. And seriously $100 for dinner in 1930 is close to $1400 now days. That’s on the low end of high class hooker rates today. I have heard a quote from Bob Osborne about having dinner with Lucy in NYC in 1960 and these mob guys would come up and say hi to her and she knew who they were.

I know by the time Lucy was finishing up in NYC (1932/1933) DeDe, Grandpa and eventually Fred joined her there. Granted that money (I have no idea on the timeframe these dinners fell into) probably went to support them and who knows how many dinners she went to but that’s a pretty nice side income from whatever she was getting from modeling and cigarette girl ads.

I think the bathtub story has about as much truth in it as the Japanese sending secret code through her teeth story does. As much as she claimed to not be anything like “Lucy” I think she could spin a tale pretty well.

Yeah...that's what makes this thread so interesting... discovering those show business stories that are real and those which are show lol. I just read something on YouTube... that Lucy in an interview pertaining to Name..that Angela's children were drug addicts... anyone know the scoop on this?

Angela Lansbury's two children did have big drug problems during this era. Lansbury's daughter was also involved with the Manson family. When their home was destroyed by a fire, Angela decided to move her family to Ireland to straighten out her children. When Lucy was asked why Angela Lansbury was not doing the movie of Mame, Lucy said Angela was not interested. She had moved to Ireland and was taking care of her son who was ill. Lucy did not specify drugs. It would have been undiplomatic if Lucy told the truth: Warner Bros. would never have made the picture with Angela Lansbury.

Yeah...that's what makes this thread so interesting... discovering those show business stories that are real and those which are show lol. I just read something on YouTube... that Lucy in an interview pertaining to Name..that Angela's children were drug addicts... anyone know the scoop on this?

I agree with you, i want to find out about everything in that folder that Lucy sent Cavett BEFORE she agreed to do his show.  I want to know about EVERYTHING that involved her and if like nancy reagan, she did not want the public to know her HISTORY, tough noogies, we ALL had similar history and eventually someone tells someone and it all comes out.  The woman has been gone for twenty five years now, NOTHING that comes out can diminish her many accomplishments in a brilliant career that is unmathched by anybody in Hollyweird.  What a great thread to come back to after another computer glitch.

Archived