The 1990s and Gary

Luvsbway

Ouch. It's incredible that everyone seemed to know this except Lucy. He was a joke it would seem. Thanks for sharing

Sad to say this but i think the Leo in her wanted to have someone she could control and who was way beneath her in status and capabilities.  After all, after Desi's womanizing, drinking, gambling etc . . . and all their very volatile fights, i think she craved the upper hand and wanted a loving husband she could trust implicitely.  I might never have loved the man, but as long as she did, that's all that matters.  She had experienced the LOVE OF HER LIFE but he had lots of extra baggage, whereas this one was uncomplicated.  She didn't mind giving him a job so he could be at her side, forking out money for peace of mind.  Also, maybe she hoped being a former stand up comic that he could learn the business and help her, which i don't think he did.  Well, maybe somewhat.  As for her KNOWING, of course she knew, Lucy Ricardo could be stupid but not so Lucy Ball, she could obviously see nobody respected him but she hoped time would change that.

I think she knew. There is a letter from the widow Morton auction that Lucy wrote to Gary in the late 60’s implying that she even told him before they got married that he would “have to prove” in the eyes of others and that it sounded like this issue that he wasn’t good enough or worthy of his position (at the studio and with her) was troubling both of them.

Also in the Star Trek Herb Solo book Herb details a conversation he had with Lucy that gives all indication that she knew what was being said about him around the studio. She wasn’t stupid, she knew.

Yes, Herb SOLOW's book on Star Trek sure opened our eyes to how things really were at Desilu in the gary years.  Not a pretty picture.  He was a lot worse than Joan in HIS assessment of the man.

• 4 years later...

So, last night in a bout of insomnia I decided to do something productive and got up and re-read Lucy In The Afternoon for the first time since I was probably... maybe 10- or 11-years-old. Having first read it so young, it didn't really register how self-indulgent this book really is and how jarringly out-of-character some of the quotes attributed to LB -- although probably rooted in a kernel or two of fact -- really are. Now, I'm curious to re-read Lee Tannen's book as a comparison. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brock said:

So, last night in a bout of insomnia I decided to do something productive and got up and re-read Lucy In The Afternoon for the first time since I was probably... maybe 10- or 11-years-old. Having first read it so young, it didn't really register how self-indulgent this book really is and how jarringly out-of-character some of the quotes attributed to LB -- although probably rooted in a kernel or two of fact -- really are. Now, I'm curious to re-read Lee Tannen's book as a comparison. 

I took a spin through that one this year after about the same amount of time. 

What I'm figuring out is that not all Lucy's stories seem to be quite "as told to" as sourced from previous bios at the time. One story is the beach party night in 1940 when according to Desi they left and went back to Lucy's apartment for the first night together. The story in Afternoon seems to pull heavily from the Harris bio with this story but puts the story as Lucy told it. Its 2 different accounts. And where did Harris get his account that they got "interrupted" and had to hide in a closet at said party?