'I Love Lucy' Christmas special on CBS: Dec. 7, 2014

Paul Sheehan

TJW,

Just out of curiosity, were you, or anybody else involved with the first/original Christmas colorization, that originally aired in the late 80s/early 90s? As you know, the colorized wraparound segments are an extra special bonus feature on the Season Six DVD.

The same question applies to the "LA at Last" episode, that was featured/shown at one of the Loving Lucy Conventions

I believe the people who colorized "Christmas," Was Color vision. Did they do "LA at Last," too?

Do you know if they used any reference materials, or did they just wing it, and guess. For both episodes.

Regarding "LA at Last," I read that CBS lost the original master copy, and the only copy that exists is a VHS, which Greg Oppenheimer has. Do you remember the colors of the opening/closing credits, sets, wardrobe, etc.?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding "LA at Last," I read that CBS lost the original master copy, and the only copy that exists is a VHS, which Greg Oppenheimer has. Do you remember the colors of the opening/closing credits, sets, wardrobe, etc.?

But did they check Ric Wyman's car trunk?  Just joking, of course.

One episode that def should be colorized is TLS TV Antenna episode. Not only do we have a color still of Lucy in the living room on the DVD menu from that ep, but we also have one of them on the roof.

And I wonder how well the Vita ep would look, considering the walls in the studio are obviously a drab gray color but her dress was blue. I remember getting this Best of I Love Lucy VHS combo years back and on the cover, her dress and eyes were a bright GREEN!

Regarding the "Vitameatavegamin" episode, I wonder if they'll keep that flub in, should they colorize it. I'm referring to the last scene. When Ricky is about to sing. You can see Lucy standing in between the walls, waiting for her entrance

the Vitameatavegamin set, was built in front of the Ricardo's living room. Even before it was pointed out on the DVD, u picked up on it right away. I wonder if they'll colorize it, or fade it out/black it out.

Here's what I think should be done, being that fans are clamoring for more colorized episodes, and don't want to wait another year, to see another one.

They should take a vote, and ask the fans for a list of which episodes they'd like to see colorized, and why. After all the votes are in, they should select the episodes that were voted for the most, and release them on DVD and Blu-ray. One of the extra special bonusfeatures could be what they do, and how they do the whole colorization process. They can show us how they colorized certain clothes and props, and show us why they selected the colors they did, as opposed to the original colors in the reference materials.

It goes without saying that all of the classic episodes should most definitely be colorized, which are basically all the ones I listed, on my list.

I think the majority of the fans like the colorized episodes, as opposed to the ones who don't. Not only that, but they more than likely have the complete black and white series.

Here's what I think should be done, being that fans are clamoring for more colorized episodes, and don't want to wait another year, to see another one.

They should take a vote, and ask the fans for a list of which episodes they'd like to see colorized, and why. After all the votes are in, they should select the episodes that were voted for the most, and release them on DVD and Blu-ray. One of the extra special bonusfeatures could be what they do, and how they do the whole colorization process. They can show us how they colorized certain clothes and props, and show us why they selected the colors they did, as opposed to the original colors in the reference materials.

With MY luck, they'll opt to do Drafted first.

And, I think that all of the extra special bonus feature materials should be colorized, too, for the selected epsodes, whether it be still photographs and/or video. Maybe they can do another Montage of colorized scenes, like the ones that were featured on the Colombia House VHS's and DVDs, as well as the complete series.

TJW,

Just out of curiosity, were you, or anybody else involved with the first/original Christmas colorization, that originally aired in the late 80s/early 90s? As you know, the colorized wraparound segments are an extra special bonus feature on the Season Six DVD.

The same question applies to the "LA at Last" episode, that was featured/shown at one of the Loving Lucy Conventions

I believe the people who colorized "Christmas," Was Color vision. Did they do "LA at Last," too?

Do you know if they used any reference materials, or did they just wing it, and guess. For both episodes.

The 1989 colorizations were done by a company in the Los Angeles area that is no longer in the colorization business... I believe that the same company did both the "LA at Last" test AND the Christmas show test... Am not sure about their reference materials, but I know they concentrated on things like skin tones, hair color, etc., and were not so concerned with the backgrounds. It's been years since I have seen the "LA at Last" footage. I seem to recall that it was just the Brown Derby scene, not the whole episode... We showed that at one of the Lucy Conventions in Burbank... Yes, I have heard the rumor as well that CBS mis-laid the master tape for that sequence, and that the only reference copies are on VHS. Am not 100% sure that is true, but it might be. Afterall, the "test" was considered if not a failure then not a success, and the colorization process stopped at that point.

I'd like to see these colorized next xD since everyone is throwing out lists.

"LA at last"

"Lucy Does A TV Commercial"

"Pioneer Woman"

"The Freezer"

"The Operetta"

"Redecorating The Mertzes Apartment"

"The Charm School"

"The Fashion Show"

"Lucy Gets A Paris Gown"

"Off To Florida"

"Lucy Wants To Move To The Country"

"Lucy Does The Tango"

"Lucy Gets Chummy With The Neighbors"

"The Celebrity Next Door"

"Lucy Hunts Uranium"

"Lucy's Summer Vacation"

"The Ricardo's Go To Japan"

Long list I know xD but what can I say..I love my lucy haha

It looks like the Christmas special had 9 million viewers on Sunday and was second in its time period - 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/09/sunday-final-ratings-the-simpsons-family-guy-adjusted-up-60-minutes-adjusted-down-final-football-numbers/337039/

Geez, it even did better than The Mentalist.  Damned football, don't they have sports networks for that crap?

"Ethel, I've got an idea!"

This is a thought, and merely a suggestion. I was thinking if/when they do The "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas Special next year, to show the colorized scenes/wraparound segments, and not show the black and white flashbacks. That way, they could show that, and maybe two newly colorized episodes, uncut/unedited, and shown in their entirety. I don't know how many episodes they could cram into an hour. But, I'll bet they'll do what they could. The Christmas episode could stand on its own, without the flashbacks. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd love to see the "Jingle Bells" tag scene, at the end of "Drafted."

"Ethel, I've got an idea!"

This is a thought, and merely a suggestion. I was thinking if/when they do The "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas Special next year, to show the colorized scenes/wraparound segments, and now show the black and white flashbacks. That way, they could show that, and maybe two newly colorized episodes, uncut/unedited, and shown in there entirety. I don't know how many episodes they could cram into an hour. But, I'll wt they'll do what they could. The Christmas episode could stand on its own, without the flashbacks. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd love to see the "Jingle Bells" tag scene, at the end of "Drafted."

Great, give them the idea of colorizing Drafted, i may vomit! :angry:

Archived