'I Love Lucy' Christmas special on CBS: Dec. 7, 2014

Paul Sheehan

TJW,

Just out of curiosity, will the newly colorized "Job Switching" episode be released on the forthcoming "I Love Lucy" Ultimate Season Two Blu-ray? Will the colorized versions of "Lucy's Italian Movie" and The colorized "Christmas Show" episodes be included on the Season Five & Six Ultimate Blu-ray DVD's?

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The breakfast scene in the kitchen looks "wundaful!"

I can't wait until I get my new computer, so I can take screenshots, and create an album for it. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack, and catch a lot of hell for this, but I actually prefer the colorized episodes, to the black and white ones. If you were to ask me which versions to watch, the colorized versions, or the black and white versions, I'd select the colorized versions.

The breakfast scene in the kitchen looks "wundaful!"

I can't wait until I get my new computer, so I can take screenshots, and create an album for it. I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack, and catch a lot of hell for this, but I actually prefer the colorized episodes, to the black and white ones. If you were to ask me which versions to watch, the colorized versions, or the black and white versions, I'd select the colorized versions.

Target.com has last years color Christmas dvd, but it does not have the new Job Switching color dvd listed. My local Target also does not have it. Has anyone been able to find it?

I found a copy in one of the two Target stores in my immediate area... They had multiple copies of LAST year's single-disc release, but only this one copy with the 2014 disc... Am not sure if that is a good sign that people are buying them, or is it just that the store didn't order many?  At least if  they are selling the copies they do have, hopefully they will reorder!

I believe that TJW said that the two most requested episodes colorized next were "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" & "LA at Last"

Here are my reasons for colorizing "LA at Last," as opposed to "Lucy Does a TV Commercial"

"Lucy Does a TV Commercial"

We've already seen the Ricardo's first New York Apartment

We've already seen the dress she wears in "Job Switching," during the breakfast scene, Acme Employment Agency, and when she and Ethel return home fromfrom getting fired.

Vivian Vance isn't in this episode

"LA at Last"

Newly colorized sets, such as "The Beverly Hills Palm hotel" & "Brown Derby"

Vivian Vance, is in this episode, as well as the other main cast members.

New costumes, wardrobe, etc.

Dont get me wrong I want to see the other episode colorized, but "LA at Last," will be new, fresh and different

When I went to the checkout to pay, the cashier said to me, "You should've gotten this last week, for they were on sale. He said they were marked down to somthing like $8.00. He evidently wasn't a fan. The DVD with the bonus disc cost $11.00. I don't know if the people who purchased them, today were Lucy fans, or people in general, thinking that they were the same, and weren't any different.

In the commercial for the "I Love Lucy" Christmas Special DVD, they should've said something, and advertised about Target, and the bonus DVD.

In the commercial for the "I Love Lucy" Christmas Special DVD, they should've said something, and advertised about Target, and the bonus DVD.

There is an on-line ad for the special Target deal... (That CBS has placed!)

I would have thought thatTarget itself should have purchased a spot in the actual broadcast and boasted about having a Lucy exclusive... but for some reason they didn't...

There is an on-line ad for the special Target deal...

I would have thought thatTarget itself should have purchased a spot in the actual broadcast and boasted about having a Lucy exclusive... but for some reason they didn't...

Typical isn't it, the person responsible has probably never heard of the show, that's our world today.

One of the on-line ads is on facebook at www.facebook.com/I.Love.Lucy

There may be others as well...

Here's from another source (Home Theatre Forum) -- see URL link at the end:

CHRISTMAS SPECIAL: COLORIZED FOR KIDS OF ALL AGES

Now With Colorized Version Of Lucy And Ethel At The Candy Factory

In “Job Switching,” Available Exclusively At Target!

Street Date:         December 9, 2014

Description: The I Love Lucy Christmas Special: Colorized For Kids of All Ages collection arrives on DVD just in time for the holiday shopping, and will also feature a special bonus disc of the beloved “Job Switching” episode. Available exclusively at Target, the collection includes both colorized and black-and-white versions of “The Lucy Christmas Special,” “Lucy Goes to Scotland” and “Lucy’s Italian Movie.” Plus, celebrate the season with the whole family by revisiting the fun of Lucy and Ethel’s first day at the candy factory in “Job Switching,” now also available as part of this must-own collection.

Bonus Disc: Colorized and original version of “Job Switching”

Specifications: Full Screen Format

Dolby Digital English Mono

English SDH and Latin American Spanish Subtitles

Rating:            Not Rated

Runtime:            Approximately 203 minutes

Suggested

Retail Price:            $14.99; Available in Target stores starting 12/9

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/336921-cbs-press-release-the-i-love-lucy-christmas-special-colorized-for-kids-of-all-ages/

Target has the I Love Lucy Colorized Christmas with the bonus color Job Switching dvd on sale for $7.99. It is on sale December 14 to December 20. The regular price is $9.99. The bonus dvd is great because it contains the complete color Job Switching show. It also has the black and white option also. The bonus dvd is in a cardboard sleeve inside the original 2013 color Christmas dvd.plastic packaging. The bonus dvd is a great gift for any color I Love Lucy fan.

I have removed my previous post and am going to attempt to be more diplomatic this time. I guess the strongest emotion I feel at this is sadness. Sadness in knowing that, once every episode is "colorized", very few audiences will ever again experience "I Love Lucy" as originally filmed. I respect that the technology has improved greatly and that a huge amount of effort has gone into this process, but never again will a child experience this show as I first did. Sitting alone in his parents' bedroom, watching that funny lady on a tiny TV screen, with the fact that the image was grey never once crossing his mind because the content was so brilliant.

Some advancements have been more than welcome. The wonderful high definition transfers revealing what was always there but never before visible. However, I fear that, like those old televisions she first debuted on, the black and white copies will one day be nothing but a distant memory. Even if those prints are featured on future releases (and I know the first batch of blurays will be such), if there is a choice involved, nobody would ever pick the B&W editions. Websites will never show B&W stills again, news programs will never feature B&W clips again. It will all become lost to time. And for me, that is an occasion to mourn.

I know many of you will no doubt find me to be overreacting, but I can't help it. This show, as originally presented, is sacred to me, and the thought of an alternative version becoming the new standard is heartbreaking to me. I respect change for many things, but I just can't for something like this. The thought of B&W copies becoming nothing more than a memory, well...it feels like I'm losing an old friend.

How sad that my very first post is one of dismay. :(

Even with the color desaturated these clumsy cartoon book colorizations ruin the detail in the picture.

Yes, I know I can choose to not watch. And that's what I have done. I'm not going to let CBS turn one of my favorite episodes into the Holiday turkey.

Archived