'I Love Lucy' Christmas special on CBS: Dec. 7, 2014

Paul Sheehan

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanted to offer an update on the question of whether the newly colorized version of "Job Switching" will be available on DVD...

The answer is YES, but only from Target...

The original plan was to save this program until later, and possibly combine it with future colorized episodes, but Target wanted something special -- and exclusive -- for this Christmas, so here's the deal:

Target will be offering last year's "I Love Lucy" Colorized Christmas package again this year -- with an added bonus disc that contains "Job Switching" both in color and in the original black-and-white.  I was told that the 2-disc set will be available beginning Tuesday, December 9 -- two days after the CBS Network Christmas broadcast.

I noticed in today's Sunday supplement ad for Target that the "new/revised" packaging is included among the sale discs -- but when one goes to their web site and searches for "I Love Lucy," one gets last year's single disc version.  I have no idea as to why the new 2014 edition is shown in the paper today.

To repeat, I was told that the 2-disc set will be available (hopefully in Target stores as well as on line) beginning December 9.  If I hear anything more about this, I will let you know.

Here's a scan of the tiny artwork featured in today's supplement. Note that there is a small label attached to the lower right hand corner. It mentions "the chocolate factory."

TargetLucy2014.jpg

This time around, I would've loved to have seen all of the Christmas Show flashbacks colorized, instead of them shown in B&W.Maybe for the Ultimate Season Six Blu-ray, and/or if televised, again.

Some other colorized episodes I'd like to see colorized are...

"The Diet"

"The Audition"

"Pioneer Women"

"The Freezer"

"Lucy Does a TV Commercial"

"The Operetta"

"Lucy is Enceinte"

"Lucy and Ethel Buy the Same Dress"

"LA at Last"

"The Fashion Show"

"California, Here We Come"

"Redecorating the Mertzes' Apartment"

"Lucy Misses the Mertzes"

One thing I'm puzzled at is why do they use different color's, when they have reference materials, especiLly when they're giving a nod to the 1950s, for a vintage look. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful,bit confused, and done understand, at the same time.

Looking at color reference materials, Lucy's & Ethel's Kramer's Kandy Kitchen uniforms were grey-on-grey, as they were rented from See's Candy Company. The Chocolate Dipper's uniform, wore her own uniform in the scene, in which she & Lucy slap each other with handfuls of chocolate. Amanda Milligan was a See's employee, in real life. But, I. The colorized version, Lucy's & Ethel's uniforms are pink, while the forewoman's uniform looks more realistic.

In the Christmas Show color photo, the curtains are red/burgundy, and Ricky's suit is brown. In the colprized version, the curtains are blue, and Ricky's suit is black.

The colourization in the video here is much improved, but the skin tones are still so greyish. As for Lucy's hair colour, it looks like a salmon swam up the East River, spawned, and the results landed on her head.

Still, it looks much better than Italian Movie!

Lucy's longtime hairdresser/hairstylist, Irma Kusley, said the color of Lucy's hair was apricot. I wish us Lucy fans could conduct an interview, with everybody involved in the colorization. Maybe somebody can send them an invite to join here, or maybe they have a Facebook, or an E-mail address. Perhaps we can submit our questions here, and they can be sent, and sent back, and posted here.

I'd like to see these colorized episodes the way they were meant to be seen, and intended to be seen, the way the studio audience did. Don't get me wrong, I can understand if they don't have any reference materials to go by

That's one thing. That's different. That I don't care about, and don't mind. It's just that I'm a stickler for detail.

Dunno about YOU, but i kept reading for decades that because of shooting in black and white, and special lighting, everything had to be in grey tones, BUT, that's certainly not what we've seen over the years in TV movies, sketches for specials and yes, even the stuff they sold at the Museum and other places, the merchandising, which of course was made to look better than if everything was in greys.  As for checking with everybody, none of them would remember every color for every item and aren't most of the people involved GONE by now?

Archived