Why didn't these people ever guest star?

Frankie Valli

Frank Sinatra

Elton John

Betty White

Bea Arthur

Mary Tyler Moore

Dick Van Dyke

Ann Morgan Guilbert

Jackson 5

Julie Andrews

Gene Wilder

Mel Brooks

Jim Henson

Shari Lewis & Lamb Chop

Walt Disney

Mr. Wizard

Were some of these people way too expensive to even guest star on a Lucille Ball sitcom? Mr. Disney died in December 1966 so he would've probably been on in TLS season 4 or maybe even in early S5. The height of Jim Henson's career was around the mid 70s I think, though Sesame Street first came on in 1969 and he was doing puppet work long before that. Shari Lewis had been doing Lamb Chop since around 1960 and Mr. Wizard had a show on around 1971. And I heard that Lucy loved the Jacksons and even kissed little Michael when she saw them perform.

And at least we did get to see Lucy with Betty on the game shows, and in Mame with Bea Arthur.

I don't think I've ever seen the Jackson 5 and Lamb Chop ever on the same list!  And James Taylor??  What would the plots be??

Bob Hope never had an official guest star episode on TLS or HL, just his Jack Benny/Plumber cameo.  How about Jimmy Stewart?  They were next door neighbors (a street separated them).

I don't think I've ever seen the Jackson 5 and Lamb Chop ever on the same list!  And James Taylor??  What would the plots be??

Bob Hope never had an official guest star episode on TLS or HL, just his Jack Benny/Plumber cameo.  How about Jimmy Stewart?  They were next door neighbors (a street separated them).

Yeah, not having Jimmy on was always a puzzler for me.  But they did do that Christmas special together at least, as bad as it was.  Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly too, although again, she worked with both in movies.  I guess it was hard for her writers to come up with a decent script they would accept, i mean it's kinda hard to ask Laurence Olivier to don a gorilla outfit!

and Lamb Chop...What would the plots be??

Moving Day is approaching for Harry as he sells his house with the ever-changing layout for a new condo in a swinging singles building. After getting increasingly frazzled over what to keep and what to throw away, he reluctantly asks Lucy and Kim to help pack up and purge as he gets away for the weekend to calm his nerves. After going through everything, the girls get Harry's stuff down to a manageable size but when he returns, he's horrified to find Kim donated his lucky heirloom Argyle socks to the Salvation Army. The three of them go down to retrieve the socks only to be told they were sold just a few hours previously. Inconsolable, Harry turns on The Tonight Show that evening as Shari Lewis introduces the world to Lamb Chop's two new Scottish pals Young MacDonald and Old MacDougal. Despite them being a hit with audiences, Harry threatens Lucy she will be out of a job unless she can retrieve the socks and she contends with another fiery redhead.

Moving Day is approaching for Harry as he sells his house with the ever-changing layout for a new condo in a swinging singles building. After getting increasingly frazzled over what to keep and what to throw away, he reluctantly asks Lucy and Kim to help pack up and purge as he gets away for the weekend to calm his nerves. After going through everything, the girls get Harry's stuff down to a manageable size but when he returns, he's horrified to find Kim donated his lucky heirloom Argyle socks to the Salvation Army. The three of them go down to retrieve the socks only to be told they were sold just a few hours previously. Inconsolable, Harry turns on The Tonight Show that evening as Shari Lewis introduces the world to Lamb Chop's two new Scottish pals Young MacDonald and Old MacDougal. Despite them being a hit with audiences, Harry threatens Lucy she will be out of a job unless she can retrieve the socks and she contends with another fiery redhead.

Oh my, you're a regular Brock Josefsberg, well, not a regular one but you'll do.

Love the Lamb Chop synopsis. Would've been cool if one of the Beatles guest starred as well but I'm sure that being on a Lucille Ball sitcom was not something they wanted to do and plus they toured a lot.

Bill Cosby should've been a guest star as well.

Just thought of another one but he didn't really become nationally known until 1979 when he appeared on General Hospital--Richard Simmons. If Jack Lalanne made an appearance in 1969, then by golly Simmons would've as well, had he been more of a fitness guru in the late 60s but he was only like, 20-21 in 1968-1969. Simmons actually guest starred on Fame and CHiPs, both in 1982. At least we got to see him and Lucy together on Body Language in 1984. I loved it!

Also going back to Jim Henson--how come Miss Ball never appeared on Sesame Street? EVERYBODY did and still does. Did she think it wouldn't be good for her appearance? I feel like I saw a photo of her in some boy's hospital room with an Animal puppet at one of the Lucy museums.

Also going back to Jim Henson--how come Miss Ball never appeared on Sesame Street? EVERYBODY did and still does. Did she think it wouldn't be good for her appearance? I feel like I saw a photo of her in some boy's hospital room with an Animal puppet at one of the Lucy museums.

I guess gary asked for too much money so he could get a good cut, of course she should have done The Muppets show as her fans were always kids during the day.

Frankie Valli   HL/TLS almost never used 60s/70s pop stars.  I can only think of Frankie Avalon and Donny Osmond off hand who appeared.

Frank Sinatra That is a surprise he never appeared given he socialized with Lucy and Desi (and later Lucy and Gary).  Maybe he said no??

Elton John he would have cost a fortune and was probably too "rock" for Lucy's tastes 

Betty White Betty wasn't really a "star" back then, more of a tv personality best known for hosting parades and appearing on

game shows.  She didn't act that much for a long time until Mary Tyler Moore took a shot and cast her as Sue Ann Nivens and the rest is

sitcom history.  (Wasn't BW's first MTM after the end of HL? If not it was probably close and I could see Betty on HL had the show ran another

year or two.

Bea Arthur Bea was too unknown pre-Maude and probably too expensive post-Maude plus see reason for DVD non-appearance.

Mary Tyler Moore Maybe it's just me but I've always sensed a touch of a rivalry between Lucy and MTM.  They were both complimentary toward

each other but never the pals both were with Carol and Betty.  I can remember one mid 70's interview Lucy did praising Valerie Harper and rather conspiciously not mentioning MTM among her other favorite comediennes. MTM won her DVD Emmies over Lucy and Lucy didn't win for TLS

until DVD was off the air.

Dick Van Dyke She might have asked him in between his sitcoms (which wasn't a very long period) when he was gunning for movie stardom which

may have made him too busy to appear. Usually actors don't guest on sitcoms when they are starring on a rival one unless it's something from

the same producer.

Ann Morgan Guilbert not enough of a name to be special guest star and probably suffered the discrimation of the day for being a "famous as a sitcom character" which seemingly automatically made casting directors look elsewhere for other, later shows. 

Jackson 5 I was surprised she used Donny Osmond - I think it would have been hard to fit them in a sitcom.  I know they were on Carol Burnett's

variety show a couple time but weren't they limited to musical numbers?

Julie Andrews Too big a movie star perhaps? Liz and Dick were rare major contemporary movie stars to appear on either HL or TLS. I think a lot of biggies in the 50's did ILL because it was such a phenomenon of the era.

Gene Wilder not really famous during the run of HL - and then in '74 a movie star and too 'spensive.

Mel Brooks as above although he was known for his comedy records, perhaps too "hip" for TLS/HL general audience to know who he was.

Jim Henson I don't think Jim himself had much of a public face until The Muppet Show which I believe started years after HL went off the air. I don't

remember ever seeing him on tv when I was little, just his muppets.

Shari Lewis & Lamb Chop - great idea!! And seemingly ideal for either HL or TLS.   Kind of weird since Shari was very high profile in this era on

variety and talk shows and I think she may have done a sitcom gig or two.

Walt Disney Disney was NBC and stars rarely crossed networks back then other than for award shows.  Plus I doubt he would have considered it

outside of an extended promo reel for Disneyland or something.

Mr. Wizard was he regional?  Early tv?  I don't remember him at all.

Were some of these people way too expensive to even guest star on a Lucille Ball sitcom? Mr. Disney died in December 1966 so he would've probably been on in TLS season 4 or maybe even in early S5. The height of Jim Henson's career was around the mid 70s I think, though Sesame Street first came on in 1969 and he was doing puppet work long before that. Shari Lewis had been doing Lamb Chop since around 1960 and Mr. Wizard had a show on around 1971. And I heard that Lucy loved the Jacksons and even kissed little Michael when she saw them perform.

And at least we did get to see Lucy with Betty on the game shows, and in Mame with Bea Arthur.

Add to the above, and now, you are competing with NEIL!!!!  Good job....Loving you, JK

And to Claude: "...  i mean it's kinda hard to ask Laurence Olivier to don a gorilla outfit!..."  Bet he would have done it beautifully!  Loving you, JK

I said that because Sir Laurence was originally wanted for Lucy in London, but he declined the offer.  

Frank was to be on ILL as a former boyfriend of Lucy's but the episode was scrapped. I wish Donald O'Connor had been on one of her normal shows. They were great together on NBC. My biggest question is: why didn't they bring in any Lucy regulars for LWL? Mary Wickes, Vonda, Mary Jane, hell- even SID GOULD didn't make an appearance!

Frank was to be on ILL as a former boyfriend of Lucy's but the episode was scrapped. I wish Donald O'Connor had been on one of her normal shows. They were great together on NBC. My biggest question is: why didn't they bring in any Lucy regulars for LWL? Mary Wickes, Vonda, Mary Jane, hell- even SID GOULD didn't make an appearance!

I think Sid was working as a real life waiter by then anyway.  Why didn't the Pope or The Queen appear, that i just don't understand.

Archived