Roles Lucy Could Have Played

Neil

I think Lucy would have been just wunnerful in the Captain Jack/Johnny Depp role in those pirate movies of his. She showed us how well she would play the role as Ironman Carmichael doing stunt work on that ship. But i think those movies came out after she passed away damnit, that's always a major deterrent in doing a role.

Hahahahaha! I just pictured it! Love it!

Had she set her mind to it, I believe Lucille could have taken on ANY role.

Her success as comedienne was what she truly desired. Don't know if it's true; but, many articles I've read say 'clowns' are the unhappiest folks; maybe making others happy and laughing was Lucille's way of keeping herself centered....

It's a shame that later in life, gary couldn't have found her more work on QUALITY tv projects like a lead on Golden Girls or even Mary Richards aunt or something with great talents in the business. Even Soap, as it was produced by Danny Thomas' son.

Speaking of Soap, Lucy would have been perfect in the role of Flo Flotsky, the mother of the fallen priest, as played by Doris Roberts.

I think Lucy would have been just wunnerful in the Captain Jack/Johnny Depp role in those pirate movies of his. She showed us how well she would play the role as Ironman Carmichael doing stunt work on that ship. But i think those movies came out after she passed away damnit, that's always a major deterrent in doing a role.

:MrsRichardCarlson:

Had she set her mind to it, I believe Lucille could have taken on ANY role.

Her success as comedienne was what she truly desired. Don't know if it's true; but, many articles I've read say 'clowns' are the unhappiest folks; maybe making others happy and laughing was Lucille's way of keeping herself centered....

I REPEAT....

It was announced in 1984 that Lucy was in talks to do a Broadway revival of Solid Gold Cadillac. Lucy denied this and said it was only a rumor. She said it was already done perfectly by Josephine Hull and Judy Holliday and she would not even consider doing it. She did not want to do a revival of anything. It definitely would have been an interesting project for her, though.

Lucy was supposed to do The Star in 1950. It was written by her good friends Dale and Katherine Eunson, who really wanted to do a project with Lucy. Supposedly, they could not raise enough money on Lucy's name alone to get the movie produced. A couple of years later, when the movie was finally produced with Bette Davis, Lucy was the biggest star in the country.

This small situation is what I LOVE to see in Lucys career. What seemed to be wrong for her career wise, is only set ups for her later success. It's almost like the rejection and the constant struggle to stay afloat WAS ONLY THERE so that when MFH and ILL came along, it would push her into those "indelible stars forever" category. It was like her fate was saying "you have to go through this in order to get to the greatnessG :)

Anything Elaine Stritch, I see Lucy in!! I mean! lol In Company alone!

Cant you just hear her say..."Does any one still weeaarrr...aaahhaaaatttt" lol

Those lines, and those songs, with her voice and wit? Amazing! I think she might have been less robotic if on stage and with other players who had a different method for their craft than she, though her style is based on broadway performing.

Id like to see Lucy in an animation Disney film, as maybe the mother on Aristocat

or OF COURSE, Cruella, in her best Talullah impression lol

I also thought she and would have been great in a Murder she wrote, as a sidekick of some kind. Im reminded of Lucy everytime I see an episode of MSW, because of those eyes lol

Anything Elaine Stritch, I see Lucy in!! I mean! lol In Company alone!

Cant you just hear her say..."Does any one still weeaarrr...aaahhaaaatttt" lol

Those lines, and those songs, with her voice and wit? Amazing! I think she might have been less robotic if on stage and with other players who had a different method for their craft than she, though her style is based on broadway performing.

Id like to see Lucy in an animation Disney film, as maybe the mother on Aristocat

or OF COURSE, Cruella, in her best Talullah impression lol

I also thought she and would have been great in a Murder she wrote, as a sidekick of some kind. Im reminded of Lucy everytime I see an episode of MSW, because of those eyes lol

So true, every time i hear Elaine doing I'M STILL HERE, i think of Lucy, also when Shirley MacLaine did it in Postcards from the edge, i always imagine Lucy sitting on that piano.

This small situation is what I LOVE to see in Lucys career. What seemed to be wrong for her career wise, is only set ups for her later success. It's almost like the rejection and the constant struggle to stay afloat WAS ONLY THERE so that when MFH and ILL came along, it would push her into those "indelible stars forever" category. It was like her fate was saying "you have to go through this in order to get to the greatnessG :)

True, Lucy learned all her acting skills from those old B movies of hers at RKO.

• 3 months later...

I was watching Ginger Rogers in Roxie Hart today. I had seen the film before, but I had forgotten how funny it really is. I think Lucy could have been terrific as Roxie Hart. There are a lot of Ginger Rogers roles Lucy could have succeed it and I think this one especially. There are a lot of bits that remind me of Lucy's portrayals of Gloria Lyons and Gladys Benton. The only thing is that if Lucy did play the role in the film instead of Ginger, I don't think we could have handled her flirtations with Bill Frawley!

I was watching Ginger Rogers in Roxie Hart today. I had seen the film before, but I had forgotten how funny it really is. I think Lucy could have been terrific as Roxie Hart. There are a lot of Ginger Rogers roles Lucy could have succeed it and I think this one especially. There are a lot of bits that remind me of Lucy's portrayals of Gloria Lyons and Gladys Benton. The only thing is that if Lucy did play the role in the film instead of Ginger, I don't think we could have handled her flirtations with Bill Frawley!

True...might have been creepy! :lucyhorror:

Archived