Carol Burnett at CHAUTAUQUA in August!

Guess you know I'm gonna beat this to death -

........today - 3/4 full page, Post Journal, Focus on Entertainment - An Event for the Ages - Carol Burnett to Perform At Chautauqua Institution for First Time August 21, by Gavin Paterniti ****

I am beyond incensed that 'someone' in charge downtown Jamestown dropped the soap and Chautauqua Institution took over - my suggestion is anyone who cares about the Center should write letters, phone calls, telegrams, e-mails, Facebook, etc., and totally verbally walk all over anyone - [although I would suggest Tom Benson, who it is advertised, is highest-ranking member of the new National Comedy Center] inquiring just who missed the boat after the fact. 

Joyce Kellogg

Okay, foks - guess I've given this enough THOUGHT:  Today, I've taken what appears below as my answer to ACTION:

[sent to the e-address of the L-D Center just this past 2 minute period!]

"If this e-address to you is an information ONLY site, please see that this e-mail gets to the Executive Director, as well as each member of the Board of Directors.  If you don't, there are MANY other, more public, ways to do so.  I am a former volunteer, nearly full-time, from October 2002, until July 2007, working in every department the forming Center created, retail, behind-the-scenes, and all public events duirng that time period.  It was always our knowledge during those years that Lucille Ball anbd Carol Burnett were fantastically great friends.

I am wondering how in the world the L-D Center has allowed the Chautauqua Institution the advantage to have Carol Burnett at its facility rather than the GREAT BUSINESS STEP FORWARD for Jamestown and the L-D Center.  Carol's persona would certainly fill several locations in downtown Jamestown and would run-away with $$ of tourism to this area, not to mention a great financial advantage for the dreamed-of National Comedy Center.  Someone should be taken to task for this obvious error in planning.  It is beyond my comprehension that this has been allowed to happen.  As a matter of FACT. it makes me nauseous to think someone has allowed this to happen.  I would like to be enlightened about this obviously sad turn of events.  Should I not hear from 'someone in authority", my next stop will be facebook and the other venues available to me including, but, not limited to other publication advantages in this area.  It seems to me someone has dropped the soap and the Institution is taking over with the obvious end game, much to its own advantage.  If Jamestown can secure Leno and Seinfeld, who probably never even met Lucille Ball; but, not to go after Burnett, starting several years ago, when she retired; someone is not thinking as clearly as I believe they should.  I don't know whether or not it is Carol Burnett's 'non-knowledge'  of the area, and the close proximity of the Institution to Jamestown that has prompted her to very obviously snub Jamestown and her made-public verbiage over the years of her friendship and love for and with Lucille Ball; but, I would love to know.  Please have 'someone' get back to me asap, as there are many Lucille Ball fans wanting an answer to this obvious error on the part of 'someone'....

Thank you.

My information:  Joyce R. Kellogg, 11 E. Terrave Avenue A-5, Lakewood NY 14750

I am a life-long resident of Celoron/Lakewood; father and aunt growing up with Lucille while she lived in Celoron; and attending school with her, as well.  My father and his best friend graduated two years to Lucille's senior and were personally invited to Forever Darling reception, 1956, at the old Little Theater, W.E., where Brigiotta's is located presently.  My father's sister, my aunt, was in Lucille's, at least, 9th grade class.

(716) 526-1030 - e-address:  babe4barney@yahoo.com

Let's see if they DARE ignore it!  Maybe we will get an answer.....I'm pissed!!!!

I love the little "I'm pissed" in small font at the tail end Joyce....you should have made that like this!!!

Thanks for the kudos, Joey; probably will get me too much recognition; tough s---!  The PO at the bottom was NOT on the e-mail; it was just for we folks here! 

Later today, I shall share with you Journey's 'reply' to my above-captioned e-mail - I'm not in my e-mail right now;  I use IE for the Lounge and my favorites thread, so I can keep them open when I go 'over' to Mozilla for my e-mail Yahoo account, since I'm told IE will no longer support Yahoo - funny, I can still pull it up; but, am covering all bases available to me right now.  Have patience; it's laughable; and I returned a harsh reply in reply to her reply - YOU STILL WITH ME???? TEE HEE - JK

Sorry it took me so lo to get to this; BUT...when the alligators are snapping, it's difficult to remember you are there to drain the swamp!!!! :fabrary:

On Tue, 12/9/14, Journey Gunderson <jgunderson@lucy-desi.com> wrote:
Subject: your message
To: "babe4barney@yahoo.com" <babe4barney@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2014, 1:15 PM

Hi Joyce,

Your email was passed along to me from our info mail account.  Thank you for your continued interest and feedback.  We absolutely agree about Carol’s appeal and importance to what we do in Jamestown, and how wonderful it would be to have
 her here.   That’s why we have tried each year to make this happen, and why we will continue to pursue this.  We too were disappointed that it didn’t work out this year, but are hopeful that it will in the future.  I have passed your message on to our board of directors.  Best regards, Joyce.
Journey

Journey
Gunderson
Executive
Director
Lucy Desi Center for
Comedy
Lucille Ball Desi
Arnaz Museum
2 W 3rd St,
Jamestown, NY 14701

Thanks, Journey, for you prompt reply, I TRULY APPRRECIATE it; and have been asked to inquire. 

HOWEVER, Your reply sounds like ARRDUBYA's from the past; but, he is gone - way gone.  MUMBO, JUMBO.. Not clear; and not satisfying......

Burnett is coming here, within miles of Lucille's hometown; and it is a BLACK EYE on the Center that she is not here, in  Jamestown.  I personally know of a letter she sent, years ago, saying if the stars or planets aligned, SHE WOULD come here.  Exactly, WHY would she come within 20 miles and not be here for Lucille?   NOT JUST I, and many former employees and volunteers want to know, but, MANY FANS want to know, as well. 

I BELONG, FOR INSTANCE, TO A LUCILLE BALL BLOG WHICH HAS SIGNED-UP 600+  MEMBERS over the years,, many of whom 'speak' on a daily basis and have for many years now.  We are ALL wondering about this obvious slight, either on Burnett's or the Museum's, part.  These folks, many of whom spend many $$ to come here for LucyFest on a yearly basis, at least 14 years of which I've been involved,  WE ALL WANT TO KNOW!!!....

Rumor is:  Leno got $60,000 for his appearance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What in heck is his connection to Lucille?   

However, your reply does NOT address how Seinfeld, who has spoken publicly and rudely about OUR Lucille should come here, and be paid to come here, before Carol, who professes to be a many-year friend.  I can't even begin to think about Leno, who may have filled the cofers; but, was not someone Lucille would have chosen to represent her image, IN ANY WAY....

You have also NOT addressed WHY Carol does not choose to come here.  There are fans awaiting the reasons why. 

While I appreciate your position at the Museum et al, and the HUGE task on your shoulders, I am concerned that proper attention is not given to those STILL ALIVE who are legitimate Lucille Ball fans and either WORKED for her or WORKED with her; i.e. Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas, for instance, who frequent Chautauqua County, are not asked to partake; there are others who are NEVER mentioned who could come here, are nearly too aged to travel; who are not asked; at least, not that the fans are awrae of.

You MUST, sooner or later, address issues the FANS have rather than  what the short-timer Board members choose, (since I've been away, 2007) the Board has changed that many times, as has the Ex. Dir., and others who make the decisions;- SUSPECT, to say the least.. 

PLEASE COMMENCE THINKING OF THE FANS AND THOSE WE KNOW WHO COULD BE COMING HERE THAT HAVE GREAT CONNECT IONS TO LUCILLE AND COULD BRING MILLIIONS INTO THIS TOWN, LUCILLE'S HOMETOWN.

Thanks for listening.  I'm not sure where this will end; but, I'm not happy taking your response back to my Lucille Ball fans.  I wish you well; and I believe you are doing a GREAT job; BUT,  I still  have questons needing answers. 
--------------------------------------------

Journey's response sounds reasonable to me.

At the end of the day, I think the truth of the matter is of Carol wanted to come to Jamestown she would have done so already. The best bet to get her there is probably to make her (one of) the inaugural inductee(s) in the Comedy Hall of Fame.

Many Thanks for your reasonably-thought out suggestion, Brock, which is entirely believable. 

Do you suppose there is ANYONE connected to the Center anymore who is intelligent enough to name Carol as the first.inductee into the new Comedy Hall of Fame?  Let's hope so.  She ain't getting any younger, either.  A couple more years might add too much to her ability to accept while alive.

What I find offensive is that the 'appearance' of Carol's acceptance at close proximity to Jamestown, not to EVEN TOUCH ON the TIMING OF SAME,; and the Center's 'non-clear' methods and avoidance of exactly how and when they have approached Carol, seem to clash with each other; 

Additionally, and in my own personal view, bringing 'guest' headliners here who have NO prior publicity with and/or connections to Lucille Ball; and, in fact, with some p.r. available which says they have spoken negatively about Lucille; i.e. Short and Seinfeld, should never be seeing profit by coming to her hometown in the first place.

I'm respectful of your position on this; but, I'm still pissed

Loving you and your point of view as no doubt the correct one....JK

• 8 months later...

In a word - FANTASTIC!  Carol Burnett was just wonderful last night.  The amphitheater was packed and it holds about 6,000 people.  We were squeezed in like sardines, but no one seemed to mind.  I had a decent spot and wasn't stuck behind a post (which was my biggest worry).  She did 90 minutes of Q & A with the audience that was broken up by many video clips from her show.  She had a lot of stories about her co-stars and told of her friendship with Lucy.  She is still very quick with the answers too.  When one woman asked her about her beauty secrets, she said it was staying 100 yards away from us. Another guy asked her what she would like to do that she hadn't done yet and she said "George Clooney."  The clips were great - the classic dentist sketch was used to illustrate Tim Conway's power over the helpless Harvey Korman, many of the movie parodies were featured and some of the musical quests as well.  It was nicely structured so that Carol could rest her voice without actually having an intermission.  She could stay on the darkened stage while the clips played.  I was especially glad that Chautauqua did not do what they are known to do and that is place the guest in a chair and then have a moderator ask questions that have been gathered from the audience before hand.  That way they can control what gets asked and keep control on the situation.  That would not have been nearly as much fun as letting Carol do what she does so well - interact with the audience that clearly loves her.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess you know I'm gonna beat this to death -

........today - 3/4 full page, Post Journal, Focus on Entertainment - An Event for the Ages - Carol Burnett to Perform At Chautauqua Institution for First Time August 21, by Gavin Paterniti ****

I am beyond incensed that 'someone' in charge downtown Jamestown dropped the soap and Chautauqua Institution took over - my suggestion is anyone who cares about the Center should write letters, phone calls, telegrams, e-mails, Facebook, etc., and totally verbally walk all over anyone - [although I would suggest Tom Benson, who it is advertised, is highest-ranking member of the new National Comedy Center] inquiring just who missed the boat after the fact. 

Joyce Kellogg

Editing chores on chronology:  FOUND IT at February 4, 2007:

My entry: 

The Post-Journal: Famous Actress Is Impressed With Lucy Museum: A personal note from Carol Burnett: ‘To Everyone in Lucy’s Hometown: Lucille Ball was my good friend. To her, I was ‘The Kid’, and she was a tremendous friend and mentor. Her passing left a hole in my heart that can never be filled. I am thrilled at work you are doing to preserve her legacy of love and laughter. Should stars align properly, I will welcome the opportunity to visit Jamestown and celebrate her legacy with you,” published, 2007.

Archived