Lucy and her smoking

Luvsbway

She always looked like one of those people who had to have a ciggie in her hand to ward off nerves.  Back then, they did this National Smoking Test and it was a special n tv, the audience at home was asked to answer the questions and found out that so many people, i think a third, would smoke just to have something in their hands, out of habit and to steady their nerves.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you're not sitting in the airport all this time and not checking out the one cool thing in town.

HAHA! Nope, they put my flight up in a hotel last night but I had to work remotely all day today so I didn't get an opportunity to see the one thing to see, unfortunately. Now I'm waiting to check in for what I hope is a connecting flight to Toronto. If they screw up again, I'm going up the arch.

My dad chalks this up to my using Travelocity to book this flight. I still don't see his logic that Travelocity is to blame for the airline not being able to find a flight crew. To think I potentially missed bona fide "airline chicken" last night.

HAHA! Nope, they put my flight up in a hotel last night but I had to work remotely all day today so I didn't get an opportunity to see the one thing to see, unfortunately. Now I'm waiting to check in for what I hope is a connecting flight to Toronto. If they screw up again, I'm going up the arch.

My dad chalks this up to my using Travelocity to book this flight. I still don't see his logic that Travelocity is to blame for the airline not being able to find a flight crew. To think I potentially missed bona fide "airline chicken" last night.

Oh good, work!  At least you're not bored. :)  I agree that this has nothing to do with Travelocity.  I got the same excuse once from an airline about not being able to find a flight crew.  (How the &*%$ does that happen?)  That sounds like sloppy airline management to me.

If it makes you feel any better, when I came back from Italy last week, my luggage didn't come with me.  U.S. Airways didn't get it to me for two days.  I was still on vacation at that point and away from home, so I had to go shopping for clothes so I wouldn't stink too much.

my luggage didn't come with me.  U.S. Airways didn't get it to me for two days.  I was still on vacation at that point and away from home, so I had to go shopping for clothes so I wouldn't                                                  stink

This thread is about Lucy and her smoking, not the "stench of the smoking" YOU are talking about, LOL!

I got the same excuse once from an airline about not being able to find a flight crew. (How the &*%$ does that happen?) That sounds like sloppy airline management to me.

It's ridiculous. The St Louis airport seems to be a USO hub of some sort and uniformed members of the US Airforce are swarming the joint. If their argument is they can't find someone to fly the plane they have to do better than that! Haha

So far, they have me flying out of here at 640 CST. Wish me luck!

Yup and her voice still sounded like a bullfrog. Did Lucy have a smokers cough?

Someone mentioned holding the cig in their hands just to calm nerves. My grandma did that once she quit smoking. But she was still on oxygen for the last 5 or so years of her life. I'm surprised just holding it didn't tempt her to grab a lighter. My grandpa quit when he was 50, when my mom was pregnant with his first grandchild, but by the time he was 71, he ended up with lung cancer and died nearly a year later--21 months after my grandma. Very sad. They used to run a deli and my grandma would smoke the cigarette pretty much all the way until it was all ashes. lol. Sometimes the ashes would almost drop onto the subs she'd make for the customers. One thing I will never forget about her is her smokers cough and then hacking phelgm into a tissue. As disgusting as that was, I kind of miss that sound.

Yup and her voice still sounded like a bullfrog. Did Lucy have a smokers cough?

Someone mentioned holding the cig in their hands just to calm nerves. My grandma did that once she quit smoking. But she was still on oxygen for the last 5 or so years of her life. I'm surprised just holding it didn't tempt her to grab a lighter. My grandpa quit when he was 50, when my mom was pregnant with his first grandchild, but by the time he was 71, he ended up with lung cancer and died nearly a year later--21 months after my grandma. Very sad. They used to run a deli and my grandma would smoke the cigarette pretty much all the way until it was all ashes. lol. Sometimes the ashes would almost drop onto the subs she'd make for the customers. One thing I will never forget about her is her smokers cough and then hacking phelgm into a tissue. As disgusting as that was, I kind of miss that sound.

That's understandable, it became a part of her.  I wish it hadn't become a part of her subs though.

Archived