Jamestown 1998

In April 1998 I took a weekend trip out to Jamestown from college in Ithaca and met up with my best friend.  I had to show her around Lucy Land.  One of the non-permanent exhibits then was a series of Christmas cards dating from the 40s-70s that Pauline Lopus donated.  They were presented in chronological order and offered information about Lucy’s life around the time when each was sent.

jt98cards.jpg

jt98cards2.jpg

jt98cards3.jpg

These are some of the other items that were on display at that time. (April 1998)

jt983.jpg

jt98.jpg

j985.jpg

Thanks for contributing these - very interesting; some of these 'artifacts' seem to be among the 'unaccounted for' items which are either packed away or never having gotten to the new museum which broke away from the Arts Council when the 'family' took over and put arrdubya in charge in the years prior to the opening of the Pine Street Museum of April 2002.  It's all sort of a mystery about a ton of 'things' -

Thanks for contributing these - very interesting; some of these 'artifacts' seem to be among the 'unaccounted for' items which are either packed away or never having gotten to the new museum which broke away from the Arts Council when the 'family' took over and put arrdubya in charge in the years prior to the opening of the Pine Street Museum of April 2002. It's all sort of a mystery about a ton of 'things' -

Which pieces? All but the black and white shirt thing have been on display over the last two or three years.

I love seeing these photos of past exhibits. I think a new form/topic should be created called "Lucy Lounge Museum" or something like that, so we can post photos of Lucy related exhibits. Then we can all see what has been put on display and reminisce/identify. Maybe that will put all those "rumors" of where things are to rest. However, I do know that collectors have lent pieces from their collection for exhibits and chose not to be credited or identified. People may have assumed those pieces were part of the archives when in reality they belonged to someone. The memorabilia currently on display has not been changed in years. I will say one thing when Ric was the director, care and effort was put into the displays and they were changed at least once a year so we could anticipate seeing new exhibits each time we visited Jamestown. I've urges the center to change it up but my words fell on deaf ears. As the old saying goes you don't really appreciate something until it's gone. 

I recall at a "Member's Only" archive event where they showed the southern gown and stated it had never been displayed or will be because of the condition. I guess the photo above debunks that! I urged the curator at the time, that we (Lucy fans) don't care what condition an artifact is in and that everything should be put on display at sometime. I personally would rather see it falling apart and discolored than not see it at all. At least last year visitors got to see items at "Lucy at Home" exhibit. There are pieces I've never seen before so who knows how many other things are like that. 

I didn't take this one but saw it the other day.  Just the continued stupidity of the museum.  A little research will tell you this was not a ski trip or a vacation to the mountains.  This was shot on location in Sun Valley while shooting the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour and they took the kids along.

9_n.jpg

Which pieces? All but the black and white shirt thing have been on display over the last two or three years.

Like I said:  they MAY HAVE BEEN PACKED AWAY from the move over from Arts Council exhibits; in any event, I don't mean to include all Shelley's photos of exhibits; but, much was laying around in unmarked boxes in the dungeon of the bank building during the time I was involved 2002-2007.  The 'folks' who were in charge of the artifacts were the ones who spoke of 'missing' items - either packed away or just 'missing' - Since I've not been back in any 'inside' capacity since 2007, some may have been put back on display - I would be thrilled to know that, and am thrilled to know that you have seen same.  Loving you, JK

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the idea from 'lucyeths', above, to create an 'exhibit' photo encyclopedia thread here; so, we can all view exhibits from over the years; and I agree, the exhibits to the small Museum on Pine Street, WERE changed once a year; obviously, the small Museum could only hold a handful of exhibits; also VERY happy they are finally having enough room so that there should be NOTHING held in boxes in some cellar; that would certainly solve some of the mysterious 'missing' items. 

Trying to get folks to come out of 'hiding' to name THEIR OWN ITEMS (and whether or not there is a record of them getting them returned to them) is quite another.

Archived