Losing the Jamestown House

Neil

I'm referring to the incident where Grandpa was supervising a bunch of kids target practicing and one kid accidentally shot another, when the 2nd one darted in front of the gun.  What a traumatic experience this must have been for the young Lucy.  I wonder how much it influenced her later love of home.  I don't think of the 20s as a time when people sued each other.  I assume Grandpa was the official owner of the house and that home owner's insurance was not as common as it is now.

Yes, the whole idea of a bunch of kids and a gun was ill-advised and I feel sorry for the kid, but was it really Grandpa's fault?  I mean, the kid did dart in front of the line of fire.  And what about suing the parents of the kid who shot him?

I wonder how popular or unpopular the people who took their house were.  Do we know if they moved into it or just sold it for the cash?

As traumatic as this was for Lucy, imagine how hard it was for Grandpa.

Where did the family move after losing the house?

These are 2 things I heard on the first trip to Jamestown in 96’. The family that got the house owned it up until the late 90s/early 2000s. The initial ebay sale of the house was after the last remaining member of that family was finally put in a nursing home.

I don’t know if it is on the tour still but when I took it in 96’ they showed an apt building in Jamestown where the family moved to. I have a pic and writeup on it.

I'm referring to the incident where Grandpa was supervising a bunch of kids target practicing and one kid accidentally shot another, when the 2nd one darted in front of the gun.  What a traumatic experience this must have been for the young Lucy.  I wonder how much it influenced her later love of home.  I don't think of the 20s as a time when people sued each other.  I assume Grandpa was the official owner of the house and that home owner's insurance was not as common as it is now.

Yes, the whole idea of a bunch of kids and a gun was ill-advised and I feel sorry for the kid, but was it really Grandpa's fault?  I mean, the kid did dart in front of the line of fire.  And what about suing the parents of the kid who shot him?

I wonder how popular or unpopular the people who took their house were.  Do we know if they moved into it or just sold it for the cash?

As traumatic as this was for Lucy, imagine how hard it was for Grandpa.

Where did the family move after losing the house?

How about when we learned that it was the kid's mother who screamed for him that MADE HIM dart in front of that shot to begin with?  And Lucy could have bought the house from these people later on when she was raking in the big bucks, but grandpa died in '44 and i don't think she had that much money way back then.

Archived