I Just Saw A Lucy Regular In...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I turned on the TV to rather inexplicably see that The Paul Lynde Show was starting. The centerpiece of the episode (which also has Anson Williams two years away from Happy Days) is a TV gameshow hosted by none other than Roy Rowan. It's no surprise that William Asher was a producer and director for the show, which was produced out of a commitment to ABC, who wanted another season of Bewitched.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Scotty And The Secret History Of Hollywood: The Man Who Sold Sex To The Stars

Our own Miss Mildred better known to one and all as Carole Cook has the briefest of cameos in the just released documentary version of the book by Scotty Bowers as one of several luminaries present as a guest at Mr. Bowers 90th birthday celebration.

This fascinating doc was filmed over a period of 3 or 4 years and features a (then) still remarkably spry physically (climbing via ladder onto his roof to clear brush!) and mentally agile over 90 Bowers regaling his adventures as a young "matchmaker" (ahem) to the stars and later, bartender at Hollywood private parties and heretofore never revealed hookups of the rich and famous, in various and multiple configurations imaginable (male/male, female/female, threesomes, orgys and everything in between). 

Between the book and the film I'm still not 100% convinced that all the liasons portrayed actually, indisputably happened but I must say that he often makes a convincing case and is backed up by several survirvors who are not only former clients or workers of his, but best of friends to this day.  If nothing else, it is very entertaining and I recommend it, at least if you go in with an open mind.

Some reviews:

https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/scotty-and-the-secret-history-of-hollywood-review-scotty-bowers-1202884190/

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/26/632433227/scotty-and-the-secret-history-of-hollywood-the-man-who-sold-sex-to-the-stars

https://deadline.com/video/scotty-and-the-secret-history-of-hollywood-review-documentary-scotty-bowers-matt-tyrnauer/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few months after her final appearance as Mrs. McGillicudy, Kathryn Card played an elementary school principal in Please Don't Eat The Daisies, which I watched yesterday. It was really exciting to see her show up, not-so-exciting seeing her without any material to work with:lucyeww:

Desilu Regular Spring Byington is given a considerably bigger role as Doris Day's no-nonsense mother, though.

• 1 year later...

Patricia Neal is TCM's Star of The Month, and last night they showed a Yours, Mine, and Ours-type comedy from 1951 called Weekend With Father, which she did with Van Heflin. A very bland movie, but it featured Elvia Allman as Heflin's no-nonsense maid (what else?) and Richard Denning (the funniest part of the movie) as an overenthusiastic and over-athletic vacation lodge employee. It gave me newfound respect for Denning- not that I ever thought less of him, but seeing him play something other than the straight man makes me want to see him in roles with a little more meat on their bones.

• 2 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23oiAXGoZ84&t=952s

A YouTube channel that collects vintage TV broadcasts recently uploaded one of Viv's guest appearances on The Red Skelton Show that I'd never seen before. This was right in between the end of ILL and the start of TLS. She appeared several times as Clara Appleby (any relation to Lillian or Caroline?), a role that a ton of actresses played over the years, including Doris Singleton and Shirley Mitchell! The opening scene of the main skit is very blatantly stolen from Lucy, although the motivations of the plot and characters are more tailored for Skelton's show (no logic, underhanded scheming, bitter spouses). Two of the writers on the show were Al Schwartz and Martin Ragaway, who would write for Viv again in "Goes Hawaiian" and "Lawrence Welk", respectively. Does anybody identify the dress Viv wears to the bookies' as one of her own? 

Lucy was the only member of the Fab Foursome to never make any kind of an appearance on Skelton, which seems kind of unusual, considering his Comedy Hour, their movie history together, and sharing a network for 17 years. Poor rehearsal-prone Lucy probably would've flipped her lid over the chaos on his show. She presented him with the Emmy in 1986, so I'd assume there was no bad blood between them, so I wonder if there was a genuine reason for her never guesting.

13 hours ago, HarryCarter said:

It was great to see Viv on Red Skelton! I’ve always wanted to see her appearances on the show. I hope the others pop up. 

Her gig on the 11th season episode “The Iceman Goeth” is available on one of the estate-authorized DVDs. I own it but don’t remember anything about it.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...