Lucy: America's Queen of Comedy

Neil

A friend taped this 1 hour special off a network I don't get (he has dish) called something like Newsmatch.  I might not have the title of the show exactly right.  It featured on-camera interviews with Tom Gilbert, Gregg Oppenheimer, Michael Stern, Bob Schiller, Irma, Wanda, Bernie Weisman, Ed Holly, Hal Kantor, and more.    It was pretty well put together and covered familiar ground but contained a few glaring errors.  The "20 pounds overweight" clause was repeated as fact. Also stated Viv's age in 1951 as 39 and note 42.  They made it sound like the chronology was that  Lucy bought Desi out and subsequently he returned to Desilu to be executive producer of "The Lucy Show".  The only thing I hadn't heard before was Ed Holly stating that when Lucy exercised the forced buy-out clause, Desi wanted to buy her out but Ed could not get financing for him personally because of his gambling and bad reputation  (in 1962) and I assume Ed was talking about his drinking problem.. But this was the big error: "When the network DROPPED The Lucy Show, Ball's new production company came up with "Here's Lucy"...".  Nothing needs to said about that.

I was wondering why Hal Kantor was in in so much.  His only connection with Lucy was as the head writer for "The Ed Wynn Show" on which Lucy and Desi appeared.  Then he produced a Bob Hope tribute in the 70s that she was on.  Turns out this program was produced and written by Marilyn Kantor, who I assume is his daughter.

A couple of interviewees are no longer with us, but everyone looked like they do currently, so I was surprised hen the roman numeral date rolled on the credits and it was MMIII.  (2003).   It went by pretty quickly.  One of my many, now useless, talents is that I can translate Roman numerals at a glance.  Now they use Arabic numbers most of the time.

Has anyone ever heard of this show?  I'm going to see if I can get a DVD of it from my friend.

A friend taped this 1 hour special off a network I don't get (he has dish) called something like Newsmatch.  I might not have the title of the show exactly right.  It featured on-camera interviews with Tom Gilbert, Gregg Oppenheimer, Michael Stern, Bob Schiller, Irma, Wanda, Bernie Weisman, Ed Holly, Hal Kantor, and more.    It was pretty well put together and covered familiar ground but contained a few glaring errors.  The "20 pounds overweight" clause was repeated as fact. Also stated Viv's age in 1951 as 39 and note 42.  They made it sound like the chronology was that  Lucy bought Desi out and subsequently he returned to Desilu to be executive producer of "The Lucy Show".  The only thing I hadn't heard before was Ed Holly stating that when Lucy exercised the forced buy-out clause, Desi wanted to buy her out but Ed could not get financing for him personally because of his gambling and bad reputation  (in 1962) and I assume Ed was talking about his drinking problem.. But this was the big error: "When the network DROPPED The Lucy Show, Ball's new production company came up with "Here's Lucy"...".  Nothing needs to said about that.

I was wondering why Hal Kantor was in in so much.  His only connection with Lucy was as the head writer for "The Ed Wynn Show" on which Lucy and Desi appeared.  Then he produced a Bob Hope tribute in the 70s that she was on.  Turns out this program was produced and written by Marilyn Kantor, who I assume is his daughter.

A couple of interviewees are no longer with us, but everyone looked like they do currently, so I was surprised hen the roman numeral date rolled on the credits and it was MMIII.  (2003).   It went by pretty quickly.  One of my many, now useless, talents is that I can translate Roman numerals at a glance.  Now they use Arabic numbers most of the time.

Has anyone ever heard of this show?  I'm going to see if I can get a DVD of it from my friend.

Hal Kanter (sic) was credited as co-writer on Lucy Moves to NBC...perhaps his involvement with one of her last high-profile projects is why he was involved in this?  Dunno...never heard of it either but it sounds like a great gathering Tom would have come up with for the Loving Lucy conventions!  Would love to see it too! :HALKING:

This special originally aired on The Travel Channel. Their assertion that CBS cancelled The Lucy Show was baffling.

Hal Kanter was clearly interviewed only because his daughter was the producer. His comments were by large negative. I don't think Lucy Moves to NBC was even mentioned.

Well that's good...since there's so little good to say about that either! :lucyeww:  The Travel Channel??? WTF?!! :lucywow:

Well that's good...since there's so little good to say about that either! :lucyeww:  The Travel Channel??? WTF?!! :lucywow:

Yeah, Lucy specials aired everywhere, on A and E it was the Home Movies, on Bravo it was Desilu which was terrific by the way and there were others and one was on The Travel Channel, i may even have taped that one.

Hal Kanter (sic) was credited as co-writer on Lucy Moves to NBC...perhaps his involvement with one of her last high-profile projects is why he was involved in this?  Dunno...never heard of it either but it sounds like a great gathering Tom would have come up with for the Loving Lucy conventions!  Would love to see it too! :HALKING:

Not only is Hal Kanter "sic", I think he's dead.

One correction in my post: it was a Henry Fonda tribute, not Bob Hope, that Hal produced.

The "Moves to NBC" show was mentioned but I don't think Hal talked about it on-camera.

One more person on camera was Mel Shavelson of "Yours Mine Ours" who told his two unflattering Lucy stories, neither of which make sense to me.

Lucy: "How did you like working with me?" Mel: "I told her 'It's the first picture I've made with 19 children' and Lucy started crying"   Really?  Doesn't seem like a cry-worthy insult to me.

AND

Mel: "When YMO made so much money, Lucy was actually MAD at me because she didn't prepare for it, tax-wise".  MAD at him?  Really?  She probably made some crack about it to Mel and he took it seriously.  

I think they were filming for this in Jamestown the first time I was there back in August 2002. At the beginning of the Lucytown tour, a guy with a camera got on the bus and had the guide say, "Good morning Lucy fans" and we had to reply "Good morning". We had to do this 3 or 4 times before the camera guy was satisfied.

Not only is Hal Kanter "sic", I think he's dead.

One correction in my post: it was a Henry Fonda tribute, not Bob Hope, that Hal produced.

The "Moves to NBC" show was mentioned but I don't think Hal talked about it on-camera.

One more person on camera was Mel Shavelson of "Yours Mine Ours" who told his two unflattering Lucy stories, neither of which make sense to me.

Lucy: "How did you like working with me?" Mel: "I told her 'It's the first picture I've made with 19 children' and Lucy started crying"   Really?  Doesn't seem like a cry-worthy insult to me.

AND

Mel: "When YMO made so much money, Lucy was actually MAD at me because she didn't prepare for it, tax-wise".  MAD at him?  Really?  She probably made some crack about it to Mel and he took it seriously.  

You keep coming up with gems like that one and i will never leave this place, you are a friggin riot!  And i love your analysis of what various morons had to say or tell as Lucy stories. 

A friend taped this 1 hour special off a network I don't get (he has dish) called something like Newsmatch.  I might not have the title of the show exactly right.  It featured on-camera interviews with Tom Gilbert, Gregg Oppenheimer, Michael Stern, Bob Schiller, Irma, Wanda, Bernie Weisman, Ed Holly, Hal Kantor, and more.    It was pretty well put together and covered familiar ground but contained a few glaring errors.  The "20 pounds overweight" clause was repeated as fact. Also stated Viv's age in 1951 as 39 and note 42.  They made it sound like the chronology was that  Lucy bought Desi out and subsequently he returned to Desilu to be executive producer of "The Lucy Show".  The only thing I hadn't heard before was Ed Holly stating that when Lucy exercised the forced buy-out clause, Desi wanted to buy her out but Ed could not get financing for him personally becaNeil:  If you can find out the date of this interview, I'd love to have it for the chronology.  Thanks,  Loving you, JK

use of his gambling and bad reputation  (in 1962) and I assume Ed was talking about his drinking problem.. But this was the big error: "When the network DROPPED The Lucy Show, Ball's new production company came up with "Here's Lucy"...".  Nothing needs to said about that.

Neil:  See if you can narrow the date down to month and day, of 2003.  I will, of course, credit you, Harry and rickylu, with this interesting documentary interview information (without the gossip) on this date for the Lounge,  Loving you, JK

Archived