Recalling Lucille's Passing

Mot Morenzi

Well, i was 29 so it was easier for me to remember, after all that was just a few short years ago.  My mom told me when i went home for lunch, she was careful in how she told me, knowing how much she meant to me, HER REAL NUMBER ONE FAN, LOL!  And we had all been told she was getting better, such a shock, this was in the early morning so it was all over the news that day and night, specials, magazines, newspapers it was everywhere.  Went on for weeks . . . 

Well, i was 29 so it was easier for me to remember, after all that was just a few short years ago.  My mom told me when i went home for lunch, she was careful in how she told me, knowing how much she meant to me, HER REAL NUMBER ONE FAN, LOL!  And we had all been told she was getting better, such a shock, this was in the early morning so it was all over the news that day and night, specials, magazines, newspapers it was everywhere.  Went on for weeks . . . 

:lucyblah: Whoa there, Jack Benny.

I was pushing 4 when Lucy died. Although I don't remember it, I'm told I was very upset by the news and my parents waited until I was home from Montessori before breaking the news, launching into a "God wanted her more..." themed speech. The first "I remember where I was when..." death for me was the death of Tennessee Ernie Ford.

I was pushing 4 when Lucy died. Although I don't remember it, I'm told I was very upset by the news and my parents waited until I was home from Montessori before breaking the news, launching into a "God wanted her more..." themed speech. The first "I remember where I was when..." death for me was the death of Tennessee Ernie Ford.

They didn't tell you like when parents tell a child his pet is gone, that Lucy moved to the country?

• Like 1

What was unprecedented was the week preceding her death: the coverage of her heart attack. Her progress was covered every night on the network news!  IF Lucy had to go, she did it the right way.  The outpouring of love must have warmed her little heart.  Her death was a bit of a surprise in that it was reported that she had gotten up and was able to walk around so everyone was expecting an eventual recovery.   She died very early in the morning and a friend called me a couple hours later, around 7:30 am.  Several people sent me sympathy cards.....and they weren't trying to be cute!

She also went out on a high note in other ways: the stir she caused when introduced at the Oscars just the month previous.  This was in the day when standing ovations were more rare, certainly more than they are now when everyone gets one.   Also her last major TV appearance/musical performance was one of her best ever "Comedy is No Joke", almost a year to the day before dying.   It was great that she sung it live rather than lipping to pre-recorded vocals, which was more the norm when a number involved an ensemble and dancing. And considering everything, she was in pretty good voice.

And if Claude was 29, I was 14!!

• Like 2

What was unprecedented was the week preceding her death: the coverage of her heart attack. Her progress was covered every night on the network news!  IF Lucy had to go, she did it the right way.  The outpouring of love must have warmed her little heart.  Her death was a bit of a surprise in that it was reported that she had gotten up and was able to walk around so everyone was expecting an eventual recovery.   She died very early in the morning and a friend called me a couple hours later, around 7:30 am.  Several people sent me sympathy cards.....and they weren't trying to be cute!

She also went out on a high note in other ways: the stir she caused when introduced at the Oscars just the month previous.  This was in the day when standing ovations were more rare, certainly more than they are now when everyone gets one.   Also her last major TV appearance/musical performance was one of her best ever "Comedy is No Joke", almost a year to the day before dying.   It was great that she sung it live rather than lipping to pre-recorded vocals, which was more the norm when a number involved an ensemble and dancing. And considering everything, she was in pretty good voice.

And if Claude was 29, I was 14!!

You're right about everything of course, i'm so happy she got her last hurrah at the Oscars, and most critics called her and Hope's appearance the highlight of the show.  What bothers me though is that she was not given the treatment they give older performers today, she and Hope were considered passe, old hat and her Life with Lucy fiasco had diminished her in her peers' eyes, however, her public still worshiped her, thank God.  Did you ever see the rehearsal footage of Comedy ain't no joke?  Lucy stops the number and says WAIT, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME, i guess they were as she had her first attack shortly thereafter.  Found it strange that she and John Ritter died of the exact same thing, ruptured aorta, when they were last seen together on LWL.  Also found it heartwarming that they interviewed some of her friends, peers and contemporaries, even jerry lewis spoke well of her, but Betty White, George Burns, Bob Hope were exemplary, they focused on tv people though, wish they had asked more superstars like Sinatra but the whole media coverage was excellent.  One thing i hated though was that the idiots at SNL finally thought to ask her to guest host, now that she no longer could.

My parents didn't tell me about Lucy being dead, or any other celebrity. In daycare you were allowed to bring in movies to watch and I brought in two "Best Of I Love Lucy" tapes; the ones with Vitameatavegamin and Job Switching on the cover. As we were watching it before nap time, the whole room completely fell in love and couldn't stop laughing. Then I told the owner Miss Dorothy that I wanted to meet Lucy. She told me that Lucy had been dead for a decade. It was not a fun nap time. I think over the next couple of years I found out that Red Skelton, Bob Hope, Buddy Ebsen, Mr. Rodgers, Madeline Kahn, and my cat had all died without me knowing. It's this kind of stuff that sends people to therapy you know! ;)

We were in mid-move, trying to sell our home; and packing to move to the Lake (Chautauqua) in Celoron, the village I grew up in; only to return 29 years later, to live there another 20.5 years; the longest I've ever lived....ANYWHERE . 

My husband wanted to retire;; I knew he would retire to the recliner, and told him so; so, we moved to Lake in December '89; both still working full-time; busy volunteering all other 'free' time at our local American Legion - such a busy time, I really don't remember Lucille passing at all; and there REALLY was not much time for watching television in those days.

Joyce you must have been busy. With the news of her coming in May and it being hometown I thought it would be all over the place.

Yeah, good point, i didn't even think of that, Lucy was the biggest thing about that burb and here she passed away and Joyce never even heard anything about it, LOL!

Tut tut tut, and a Lucy author yet, LOL!

Well, of course, I read about it; and knew about it; but, no time to be a fan of anyone....

I've made up for it, though, since discovering my granddaughter was born on Lucille's birthday; my exposure to ALL THINGS Lucy at the Museum starting 10/2002; and continuing to this day and forward. 

I knew, of course, when they came to town - we all did!!

..... but, lost track of her while schooling; working, marrying, childbearing, and childrearing years; and WHEW!  everythin else!  and, you better not call me an author, arrdubya will roll over; it's my 'entries' - he called them when trying to get me to sign off - 'you'll get credit for your research, of course' . . .!!!! 

Wonder what he'd think of my 'entries' NOW-A-DAYS!!!!  And, the other insulting terms used - ones who call this my 'project' and other discrediting words.    So, guess I've way over done fandom, making up for the 'tween' years.....

• Like 1

Well, of course, I read about it; and knew about it; but, no time to be a fan of anyone....

I've made up for it, though, since discovering my granddaughter was born on Lucille's birthday; my exposure to ALL THINGS Lucy at the Museum starting 10/2002; and continuing to this day and forward. 

I knew, of course, when they came to town - we all did!!

..... but, lost track of her while schooling; working, marrying, childbearing, and childrearing years; and WHEW!  everythin else!  and, you better not call me an author, arrdubya will roll over; it's my 'entries' - he called them when trying to get me to sign off - 'you'll get credit for your research, of course' . . .!!!! 

Wonder what he'd think of my 'entries' NOW-A-DAYS!!!!  And, the other insulting terms used - ones who call this my 'project' and other discrediting words.    So, guess I've way over done fandom, making up for the 'tween' years.....

You're absolutely right of course, was only kibbitzing with you luv.  Just once though, i'd love you to make a comment on one of her shows, LOL!

How's this?  I never saw one of her performances; shows; films; or episodes, I didn't love. 

I think I've made up for missing her death, by taking her on at least 8 hours a day for 10 years straight, though. 

I'm sure she's forgiven me; since she made 3 back-to-back memorable visits to my childhood home in my dreams - can any of you other fans say THAT?

I dun't recall any in all the years i've known ya, but maybe you did and this old timer just forgot?

I should be flattered, I guess, that ANYONE would try to remember everything I had to say!!!

Quite frankly, I find it somewhat disturbing that my comments should have any memorable weight with anyone; and... like you have said:  'we're not trying to cure cancer here.....'; [that's not verbatim; but, close enough] - I thought we were just making comments and sharing our notes, photos, memories, etc., along with the love of Lucille Ball and her life, as well as keeping her memory alive....'  .

• Like 1

I should be flattered, I guess, that ANYONE would try to remember everything I had to say!!!

Quite frankly, I find it somewhat disturbing that my comments should have any memorable weight with anyone; and... like you have said:  'we're not trying to cure cancer here.....'; [that's not verbatim; but, close enough] - I thought we were just making comments and sharing our notes, photos, memories, etc., along with the love of Lucille Ball and her life, as well as keeping her memory alive....'  .

Yup, that's about it, just would like to hear YOUR comments on certain shows at least once before i die, LOL!

How's this?  I never saw one of her performances; shows; films; or episodes, I didn't love. 

I think I've made up for missing her death, by taking her on at least 8 hours a day for 10 years straight, though. 

I'm sure she's forgiven me; since she made 3 back-to-back memorable visits to my childhood home in my dreams - can any of you other fans say THAT?

Actually yes, Gypsy and I will have to fill you in sometime.  LOL

:lucywow:  "Boy, will we have to fill you in...".