The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

Just like Brock did once, post when the dvd is released! lolz.

As of now I have only seen 6 episodes. "Lucy and the Missing Stamp," "Lucy the Good Skate," (syndicated) "Lucy Gets the Bird," (syndicated) "Lucy and the Ceramic Cat," "Lucy the stockholder," and "Lucy the Disc Jockey." (syndicated)

"Ceramic Cat" was HYSTERICAL when I first saw it. Mainly the scene with Lucy in the window with the mechanical man. (Full uncut episode is on YT)

"Missing Stamp" was good but it ended way too abruptly. Mr. Mooney is happy to have his stamp back while Lucy just sits there in the mailsack with a weird expression on her face.

I loved the end of "Disc Jockey." lolz! "I'm dreaming of a white . . . CHRISTMAS!" (I did post this episode on YT but it's syndicated)

And the opening theme for this season is probably my favorite out of all the seasons. Very fun and cartoony.

I saw various season 3 clips on YT. Like Lucy's nightmare where she and Viv become witches (SASSAFRASSA!), learning how to ski, and when she dug through all the chocolate cakes. And clips from Good Skate are posted on YT courtesy of me! :lucyhaha:

I wanted this as a Christmas gift but I found a 50 dollar Target gift card leftover from a few years ago that my mom couldn't find, so I'm def. buying it on Tuesday. Let's just call it a gift because I bought it with a gift card!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out shopping today and found the DVDs for sale!!!! :HALKING:!!!!! They are fantastic, as usual. The back cover is even better than the front with a terrific photo of Lucy from "Lucy and Arthur Godfrey." The World's Fair footage, which runs about a half hour and is mostly silent, is wonderful to see. Some clips of Lucy's 1964 appearance on The Danny Kaye Show is included too. Other than that there isn't much more special footage. I've watched the first four episodes and it is terrific seeing them uncut and in such great condition. Great job again, everyone!

One tiny blooper found on the DVDs is in the biography of Edward Stevenson. It accidently states he shared the Oscar he won for The Facts of Life with Hedda Hopper, when it was actually Edith Head. It is great to see Hedda in the World's Fair footage. It looks like she was having a wonderful time.

OMG how can they make mistakes like that, a gossip columnist designing gowns and getting an Oscar for it? Sheesh! :lucydisgust:

OMG how can they make mistakes like that, a gossip columnist designing gowns and getting an Oscar for it? Sheesh! :lucydisgust:

Especially considering who's producing them -- FANS!! marionstrong.gif

Hey we all make mistakes...and in the great grand scheme of things, it's certainly not going to dilute my interest or pleasure in seeing these FOR THE FIRST TIME in their full running time uncut and nearly Technicolor looking color!!! As I said, my least TLS favorite season due to the glaring absence of the "real" (original) Lucy writers but there's still enough "diamonds in the rough" amongst the dreck that I can't wait. Most looking forward to the Countess Framboise eps and the one in which Lucy and Viv impersonate high roller gamblers (to go all expenses paid!) and go to Vegas -- with hilarious "aliases" -- Lucy is "Pamela Poopendorf" (!) to boot.

TWO MORE DAYS!!! lucyhaha.JPG

Especially considering who's producing them -- FANS!! marionstrong.gif

Hey we all make mistakes...and in the great grand scheme of things, it's certainly not going to dilute my interest or pleasure in seeing these FOR THE FIRST TIME in their full running time uncut and nearly Technicolor looking color!!! As I said, my least TLS favorite season due to the glaring absence of the "real" (original) Lucy writers but there's still enough "diamonds in the rough" amongst the dreck that I can't wait. Most looking forward to the Countess Framboise eps and the one in which Lucy and Viv impersonate high roller gamblers (to go all expenses paid!) and go to Vegas -- with hilarious "aliases" -- Lucy is "Pamela Poopendorf" (!) to boot.

TWO MORE DAYS!!! lucyhaha.JPG

Oh Y E S, the Vegas ep is and has always been one of my all time faves, their get ups alone . . . and Ann Sothern should have stayed on the show as the replacement for Viv, she would have been a terrific regular and her eps are also among my all time faves.

Oh Y E S, the Vegas ep is and has always been one of my all time faves, their get ups alone . . . and Ann Sothern should have stayed on the show as the replacement for Viv, she would have been a terrific regular and her eps are also among my all time faves.

I hope the sales go well for season 4, everyone's least favorite season and the one I've only seen THREE episodes of. :lucyeww:

At least I saw the Bill Frawley cameo and a clip of Wayne Newton singing "you're nobody till somebody loves you" in "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton." Both are on Youtube.

TWO MORE DAYS! I'm already laughing at Lucy's "Pamela Poopendorf" alias.

...and the one in which Lucy and Viv impersonate high roller gamblers (to go all expenses paid!) and go to Vegas -- with hilarious "aliases" -- Lucy is "Pamela Poopendorf" (!) to boot.

A really fun episode! Pretty darned good memory, Joe, but actually Lucy is Pamela Pettybone (now there's a familiar last name if ever I heard one!) and Viv is Penelope Poopendorf!

Ain't they just grand?

Pamela_Penelope2.jpg

A really fun episode! Pretty darned good memory, Joe, but actually Lucy is Pamela Pettybone (now there's a familiar last name if ever I heard one!) and Viv is Penelope Poopendorf!

Ain't they just grand?

Pamela_Penelope2.jpg

Indeed they are, you big tease! Well... at least I was half right for each!! And remembered one of them was a Poopendorf!!! lucythrill.JPG

Yes the memory fails me but it could be worse since I don't think I've actually seen this one at least a dozen years or more!

Damn, they look great! How is it in this series the older they get, the better they look?? lucyhorror.JPG

Guess they'd "perfected" the makeup for shooting in color by this point!

I hope the sales go well for season 4, everyone's least favorite season and the one I've only seen THREE episodes of. :lucyeww:

At least I saw the Bill Frawley cameo and a clip of Wayne Newton singing "you're nobody till somebody loves you" in "Lucy Discovers Wayne Newton." Both are on Youtube.

TWO MORE DAYS! I'm already laughing at Lucy's "Pamela Poopendorf" alias.

Please don't start in again about the sales of these damn things! Why not just be grateful we're getting them??

And who, by the way, decreed Season 4 as "everyone's least favorite season"?? According to whom... or what?? That's the kind of statement that should be backed up with facts. It's certainly not true in my case; much as I hated to see Viv leave, to me the weakest of all six seasons was S3, mainly due to the radical shift in writing quality due to the departure of the four veterans.

IMHO the first season set in Hollywood may be variable in quality, but it's fun to see LC in a whole new environment, playing off of Gale more than ever. Of course, it was the perfect setting to have big name guest stars pop in, unlike the Danfield setting where people of Ethel Merman's fame just happened to cross paths with Lucy Carmichael......uh yeah, like that's really likely! But..... it's all still "Lucy" and to me, that's the main thing!! wink.gif

Please don't start in again about the sales of these damn things! Why not just be grateful we're getting them??

And who, by the way, decreed Season 4 as "everyone's least favorite season"?? According to whom... or what?? That's the kind of statement that should be backed up with facts. It's certainly not true in my case; much as I hated to see Viv leave, to me the weakest of all six seasons was S3, mainly due to the radical shift in writing quality due to the departure of the four veterans.

IMHO the first season set in Hollywood may be variable in quality, but it's fun to see LC in a whole new environment, playing off of Gale more than ever. Of course, it was the perfect setting to have big name guest stars pop in, unlike the Danfield setting where people of Ethel Merman's fame just happened to cross paths with Lucy Carmichael......uh yeah, like that's really likely! But..... it's all still "Lucy" and to me, that's the main thing!! wink.gif

AGREED, i prefer seasons four five and six to the first three any day. And yes, they look gorgeous in the Vegas ep but that pic is afetr Lucy removes her extravagant HAT which was fit for Royal Ascot in it's . . . well, it's . . . .yeah, it was a hat all right! And i also agree about those constant chimes of will we get this season or that season, just show a little patience and they will ALL come out in the end, you will see, just like i was saying in the ILL releases, that the other two series would follow eventually and they are.

Ain't they just grand?

Pamela_Penelope2.jpg

OMG that picture is the loveliest i've ever seen of those two!!!!! :viv2::lucy2::lucy1::viv1: Just to show you the kind of patience you should be showing Ched, i am the most impatient person in the world BUT, this morning beau called me to tell me MY copy is in, he has it in his hands and he wanted to deliver it to me tomorrow but i told him i waited like a month for season two, so i can wait till he comes to town at the end of the week to get it, especially since Harry Carter said there aren't too many LUCY EXTRAS on that one so i can wait a few days. BUT, i WILL be a joy to see all the shows so clear and colorful and re mastered and everything!

OMG that picture is the loveliest i've ever seen of those two!!!!! :viv2::lucy2::lucy1::viv1: Just to show you the kind of patience you should be showing Ched, i am the most impatient person in the world BUT, this morning beau called me to tell me MY copy is in, he has it in his hands and he wanted to deliver it to me tomorrow but i told him i waited like a month for season two, so i can wait till he comes to town at the end of the week to get it, especially since Harry Carter said there aren't too many LUCY EXTRAS on that one so i can wait a few days. BUT, i WILL be a joy to see all the shows so clear and colorful and re mastered and everything!

At least they DO have it at Target. Not the one I live right around the corner from though :lucyeww::angry:

buying it first thing tomorrow morning like 1-2.

I think it's totally possible that a New York actress like Ethel Merman would buy a house in suburban Westchester County. Lucie and Larry lived there for years. Of course, it is far fetched that Lucy and Viv would run into her immediately after talking about her. It's not as unlikely as Lucy and Mooney bumping into each other someplace in Los Angeles like they do in nearly every episode of the fourth season (Not that I mind it!).

I think it's totally possible that a New York actress like Ethel Merman would buy a house in suburban Westchester County. Lucie and Larry lived there for years. Of course, it is far fetched that Lucy and Viv would run into her immediately after talking about her. It's not as unlikely as Lucy and Mooney bumping into each other someplace in Los Angeles like they do in nearly every episode of the fourth season (Not that I mind it!).

Possible? Yes, of course. But "likely" that the Merm and the Carmichael/Bagley households would reside in the same middle class neighborhood? Doubtful. I think this falls under "artistic license" or "suspension of disbelief"!

As for the Lucy/Mooney in LA thing, I get what you're saying but I don't recall them bumping into each other that much "accidentally" -- wasn't he supposed to still be her conservator (ostensibly) despite their respective relos? Anyway, it was only a few eps in before she started working for him part time, so at that point the meetings certainly what you'd call "accidental"! Besides, you'd be surprised who and where you'll run into people here -- sometimes at places as unexpected as the grocery store or cleaners!

wink.gif

Just finished watching the special features and their quality certainly makes up for the quantity. It's funny that for that for both this release and the release previous, the DVDs open with a better opening montage than in the actual episodes. LOL The quality of the World's Fair footage is incredible and the behind the scenes narration is great. When I saw the option for the "mementos" featurette I assumed it would be a gallery of the material contained in Lucy's personal souvenir binder that Glen showed off in Jamestown a while back. The Danny Kaye clips are great too. It's so nice to see them clear after so many years of copies of copies. The International Lucy feature is fantastic as well. Very neat to compare the different takes of the Lucy and Viv scenes where the audio has been lost. Did anyone notice Lucy's near-"wardrobe malfunction" when she made her entrance in the German commercial?

"Madam, your slip is NOT showing!" :marionstrong:

Great spotting of the badge numbers!

Also, kudos to whoever puts the production notes together. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to have gone above and beyond this time!

Now I'm just watching my favourite episode of the season, Lucy & Arthur Godfrey. At last -- the complete opening scene with Gale and Carole! :lucywow: Suddenly the opening makes a lot more sense. LOL!

Archived