The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

Lucy and Harry's relationship was much warmer by season five then it was at the beginning. We see them happily having dinner together, going to the movies, and playing games.This was an excellent contribution by Bob and Madelyn and the other writers went along with it (although Bob O'Brien less so). (Fox and Jacobs' "Lucy and the Group Encounter" is an episode that seems like it would have worked better in the earlier seasons.) In the first season, Harry wouldn't even let Lucy call him by his first name in the office.

I know, you're right, BUT, on ILL Ricky would yell also but we knew how much they loved each other, so it was yell and then make up with these two here it was all yelling, they should have had more camaraderie shown here and there. Like the movie thing was one of the best scenes in Ginger Rogers comes to tea, it was nice to see them friendly. I also understand that most shows where she does these awful things to him wouldn't have worked as well if they been bosom buddies.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucy and Harry's relationship was much warmer by season five then it was at the beginning. We see them happily having dinner together, going to the movies, and playing games.This was an excellent contribution by Bob and Madelyn and the other writers went along with it (although Bob O'Brien less so). (Fox and Jacobs' "Lucy and the Group Encounter" is an episode that seems like it would have worked better in the earlier seasons.) In the first season, Harry wouldn't even let Lucy call him by his first name in the office.

I love the end of the season 5 episode "Lucy and Harry's Pot."

But one of my favorite lines from that one is .

:lucy2: Can't you yell at me just a little?

:gale1: As far as I'm concerned it was an unfortunate accident, and I don't want yell at you--I would just like to never mention this again :(

:lucy2: HARRY CARTER I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD BE SO MEAN! WHAAAAAA! :angry::(

I love the end of the season 5 episode "Lucy and Harry's Pot."

But one of my favorite lines from that one is .

:lucy2: Can't you yell at me just a little?

:gale1: As far as I'm concerned it was an unfortunate accident, and I don't want yell at you--I would just like to never mention this again :(

:lucy2: HARRY CARTER I NEVER KNEW YOU COULD BE SO MEAN! WHAAAAAA! :angry::(

Now, THERE's an example of one of the warmest shows they ever did together.

Now, THERE's an example of one of the warmest shows they ever did together.

I agree Harry's yelling is very loud and irritates me. Lucy and Harry's Pot is a great show but I haven't seen all of the last three seasons so I can't compare them. After the first season, I don't notice Lucie's "Mother" or other annoying traits. The second and third seasons to me are great because Lucy and the kids work together, but yet it seem like an ensemble show not a Lucy show. Season 3 is my favorite of the series so far. I love the great musical shows, the Burton, Taylor eposide, etc... and find it to be the best so far. I did see on Youtube a long time ago WHere's MY Wandering Mother, the second to last Here's Lucy and found that to be one of the most realistic and best Here's Lucy I've seen. It was written beautifully. I think more the writing should have match this show especially as Lucy ages. Then maybe Lucy could have last longer into the 1970s realistic TV comedy shows without being gritty.

• 2 weeks later...

I much preferred the character in her original form perhaps in part because I perceived her to be basically an "(slightly) older and wiser" Lucy Ricardo. Let's face it: throughout the course of her 4 successive sitcoms, she was basically playing Lucy Ricardo, just in mature form as she aged gracefully over three decades.

In The Lucy Show, I really miss the 'spark' of first season Lucy. She didn't stand up to people as much, and she didn't make sarcastic replies. Think of her interactions with the TV store owner or the plumber: "Well, now let's not get huffy!" This 'sharp' element of her character was missing after she started cowering in the presence of Mr. Mooney. The writers brought back this wonderful personality trait in Here's Lucy (Lucy's Working Daughter, Lucy and the Raffle.) Lucy was more often crafty and clever, while in the California eps of The Lucy Show, she was bumbling and witless. An exception being Lucy Gets Mooney Fired. This is an example of how Lucy used to be in most episodes.

In The Lucy Show, I really miss the 'spark' of first season Lucy. She didn't stand up to people as much, and she didn't make sarcastic replies. Think of her interactions with the TV store owner or the plumber: "Well, now let's not get huffy!" This 'sharp' element of her character was missing after she started cowering in the presence of Mr. Mooney. The writers brought back this wonderful personality trait in Here's Lucy (Lucy's Working Daughter, Lucy and the Raffle.) Lucy was more often crafty and clever, while in the California eps of The Lucy Show, she was bumbling and witless. An exception being Lucy Gets Mooney Fired. This is an example of how Lucy used to be in most episodes.

Well, those were part of that famous LUCY GETS MENAPAUSE arc of shows that they went through at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad in the third season that the makeup on the eyes in not that light blue smear that annoyed me in season two. Also, looks like Lucy lost alot of weight, wearing more stylish clothes, and she seems more energic in saying her lines. She does come across more silly than in the first season. Vivian's hair is more stylish along with her makeup. It looks like she may have had some plastic surgery done. Lucy's and Viv's children are on less and Lucy is less involved in their lives. I feel at times like they are lived in boarders rather than family. It feels like the single Lucy Carmichael that moves to California has arrived toward the latter part of this season with the new writers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived