The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

"Lucy Becomes a Father"---People never mention this episode, but I think it's great. IF you didn't have "Be a Pal" to compare the poker game to (with "Pal" the obvious sentimental favorite), this poker scene is hilarious in its own right and a great one between Lucy and Gale Gordon. And what an outstanding physical bit trying to wrestle her way out of her sleeping bag is. I'm sure that's much harder than it looks.

But KUDOS, KUDOS, KUDOS....

for using a REAL bear for once.

Too bad they resorted to that fake one for the "real Brownie", and a cheesy looking one at that.

When Mike Douglas asked Lucy if she had had mishaps with animals, she said "I was bitten by a bear once." I wonder if this was the bear. If so, THANKS A LOT, you stupid bear. It's YOUR fault we got another TEN YEARS of fake animals!

It's been a long time since I've seen these. I don't remember Audrey Simmons being mentioned so much.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Lucy Hires a Maid" The Society Matron's League meets Mrs. Porter!

It's great to have Norma Varden and Kathleen Freeman, who gets entrance applause. On paper this sounds like it would play better than it does.

And the 'actresses' who play the club women!! Are they all graduates of the Dorothea Wallberg School of Dramatic Arts??

"Lucy and Danny Kaye" If you read Fidelman's Schiller and Weiskopf interviews about this episode, it was done as a 'favor'. Well, I say "don't do us any!". Lucy is portrayed as the bitch as usual, because she didn't like the script. But she's right! It's dreadful with no logic at all, beginning with her motivation for stalking Danny: she had promised Chris and Jerry tickets to the taping of his TV show! Are Chris and Jerry SUCH big fans that it's necessary to go to such lengths? Lucy and Danny try their best but they have nothing to work with. Notice in the restaurant scene where Danny gets the 'treatment', he says "Well, at least she didn't set fire to my nose!", which is not an episode S&W worked on. And she does that thing that annoys me about "Lucy and Bob Hope". That "Mr. Hope/Kaye, I've just got to talk to you." over and over again when she could just be using that time to say what she wants to say.

Notice how the two hams try to 'out-schtick' each other. During Danny's endless phone dialing, Lucy tries crossing her legs in the doorman's outfit. Does anyone have this script? I want to know if that bit is in it.

What a waste of Danny Kaye though, because he would have fit in perfectly with a good plot. And I correct that Danny is only the SECOND celebrity Lucy Carmichael has met?

(I'm going to start responding to my own posts to get a dialog going...)

Yes, Neil, you're correct. Lucy met Ethel Merman in season 2, Danny and Arthur Godfrey is season 3.

But Neil, we all know you're excited about seeing these episodes after so many years, but, please..... you're BORING us!

What a waste of Danny Kaye though, because he would have fit in perfectly with a good plot. And I correct that Danny is only the SECOND celebrity Lucy Carmichael has met?

TECHNICALLY Lucy also met JFK, but whether or not he counts as a celebrity... ;)

Yes, Neil, you're correct. Lucy met Ethel Merman in season 2, Danny and Arthur Godfrey is season 3.

But Neil, we all know you're excited about seeing these episodes after so many years, but, please..... you're BORING us!

When Miss Bankhead is bored, Miss Bankhead will let you know! Great posts, Neil. I agree about "Lucy Meets Danny Kaye." Schiller and Weiskopf wrote four scripts that season. Two of them I think are great, "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery" and "Lucy's Contact Lenses." "Lucy Meets Danny Kaye" I think is okay, I agree with your points about it. I know people love "Lucy, the Camp Cook," but that has always been one of my least favorites from the season. I love the hitchhiking scene, but I think it goes downhill from there. One of my favorite moments in the entire series is in Schiller and Weiskopf's "Lucy and the Great Bank Robbery." When Lucy runs out of the bank and cheerfully screams, "Hi, Mr. Mooney!" and he throws all his papers up in the air. It's such a small moment, but I think it's absolutely hilarious.

Take it from someone else who seldom gets a response, who cares, some of us read your posts and love them to death because you KNOW your Lucy stuff kiddo, and dun't you forget it and keep going with those posts full of interesting info. I've done that too by the way, answer my own posts when nobody else does, LOL! :lucythrill:

Re: the opening of the show writing, directing credits over the shot of Lucy and Viv sinking in the bunk bed.

I'm wondering.....

If you did not already know they were in a bunk bed, could you tell that's what was going on? And for those of you who might have not known, what did you think was happening??

A friend of mine who has never seen the show ( :lucyhorror: ) thought they were in a car.

Re: the opening of the show writing, directing credits over the shot of Lucy and Viv sinking in the bunk bed.

I'm wondering.....

If you did not already know they were in a bunk bed, could you tell that's what was going on? And for those of you who might have not known, what did you think was happening??

I would hope people notice that Viv is already lying in what is clearly a bunkbed when Lucy is on the stilts in the opening credits.

Has everyone watched Lucy Makes A Pinch yet? Question: When you play the episode, does everyone else have a black splotch across the top of the screen when the opening scene in the police station is shown in a long shot?

YES!!!!!!!!!!! I noticed it - so glad I wasn't the only one!! LOL :marionstrong:

Geez, they TOLD gary to get his damned paws off the film stock! He was always devouring the black sesame seed bagels off of the food tables and you could not get him to wash his friggin hands, "SOAP COSTS MONEY" he'd say, so there's your black blotch on the film, black sesame seeds from gary's hands to your copy of the film today, you see, they can RE MASTER but they find it hard to UN SESAME SEED. :lucydisgust::lucyblah:

I'm wondering.....

I used to think that was how Lucy and Viv ended up in the haunted house!

----If you did not already know they were in a bunk bed, could you tell that's what was going on? And for those of you who might have not known, what did you think was happening??---

"Electric Mattress" is such a marvelous episode I feel bad carping, but.....if Viv has claustrophobia in the lower bunk, wouldn't it be WORSE in the upper bunk wedged between the wall, the low ceiling and LUCY ??

----If you did not already know they were in a bunk bed, could you tell that's what was going on? And for those of you who might have not known, what did you think was happening??---

"Electric Mattress" is such a marvelous episode I feel bad carping, but.....if Viv has claustrophobia in the lower bunk, wouldn't it be WORSE in the upper bunk wedged between the wall, the low ceiling and LUCY ??

And i hate to carp about this but logic goes out the window when you're going for laughs. Maybe, if you're terrified, but you have your best friend with you, doesn't that get you through the ordeal of claustrophobia in this case?

And i hate to carp about this but logic goes out the window when you're going for laughs. Maybe, if you're terrified, but you have your best friend with you, doesn't that get you through the ordeal of claustrophobia in this case?

I know what you're both saying but it is actually addressed, as at one point Viv says something like, "I'd rather worry about falling out of bed than my claustrophobia!" God, that episode -- well, the whole second half actually -- just is such "prime" Lucy & Viv that I'm sorry, as much as I'm loving our latest 3rd season release, nothing compares to that first B&W season where the writing was near ILL level. Superb!!

I know what you're both saying but it is actually addressed, as at one point Viv says something like, "I'd rather worry about falling out of bed than my claustrophobia!" God, that episode -- well, the whole second half actually -- just is such "prime" Lucy & Viv that I'm sorry, as much as I'm loving our latest 3rd season release, nothing compares to that first B&W season where the writing was near ILL level. Superb!!

Yes, it was but the comedy was sometimes almost nonexistent, those eps are cold sometimes, they are missing the warmth that developed as the series really got going in the sunsequent seasons. Sorry, just my opinion, i find the Lucy character too subdued in the beginning, i prefer her more self confident and riotously funny at the end instead. Maybe because i was more a Lucy fan than anything else, sorry about that.

I always thought if they were going to end up sharing tha top bunk, they should have just moved Jerry and Sherman back into their own beds and taken Lucy's bed. I guess they didn't want to wake up the children.

Yes, it was but the comedy was sometimes almost nonexistent...

Are you serious?? They were hilarious! Guess we were watching two different shows. blink.gif

I consider myself a Lucy fan too, so I don't know what the point of that comment was either. I think I can love someone as a performer but not love everything that they've done. sad.gif

I think that all seasons were good and not good in their own right. Season's 1-3 are very similar but personally I am glad that season 4 changed storylines, how many stories can they make of a 2 single women and their children? If it had continued that way into Season 4 then they would have definitely have had to get a love interest for Lucy &/or Viv. But I completely agree with Joey when he says "I think I can love someone as a performer but not love everything that they've done".

Archived