The Lucy Show Season 3: Reviews and First Impressions!

I think that all seasons were good and not good in their own right. Season's 1-3 are very similar but personally I am glad that season 4 changed storylines, how many stories can they make of a 2 single women and their children? If it had continued that way into Season 4 then they would have definitely have had to get a love interest for Lucy &/or Viv. But I completely agree with Joey when he says "I think I can love someone as a performer but not love everything that they've done".

...and yet, love them so much I'll love watching them even if the "product" is not always up to par! I dunno, it's one of those things that's difficult to explain, especially to a "non-fan" -- I mean, maybe LWL or Mame are good examples to try to illustrate: Lord knows neither of those projects was perfect or in some ways, perhaps not even meant to be but we sure as hell get behind our gal and appreciate them for not only her being in them but also for some of the brilliance that still managed to come through, primarily because of whose brilliance we're talking about.... if that makes any kind of sense. lucydaze.JPG

As for how many stories could they had had they not changed formats? Hmm, well let's ask Kate & Allie! But seriously, I think with the kids they had -- especially Jimmy Garrett -- it would have been fine watching them grow and mature and see L&V deal with newfound problems having teenage boys, etc. Worked for Fred MacMurray for what, 12 seasons?

I think as long as L&V were together, there was the potential for magic and many more possibilities but things changed so it is what it is. lucyhaha.JPG

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and yet, love them so much I'll love watching them even if the "product" is not always up to par! I dunno, it's one of those things that's difficult to explain, especially to a "non-fan" -- I mean, maybe LWL or Mame are good examples to try to illustrate: Lord knows neither of those projects was perfect or in some ways, perhaps not even meant to be but we sure as hell get behind our gal and appreciate them for not only her being in them but also for some of the brilliance that still managed to come through, primarily because of whose brilliance we're talking about.... if that makes any kind of sense. lucydaze.JPG

As for how many stories could they had had they not changed formats? Hmm, well let's ask Kate & Allie! But seriously, I think with the kids they had -- especially Jimmy Garrett -- it would have been fine watching them grow and mature and see L&V deal with newfound problems having teenage boys, etc. Worked for Fred MacMurray for what, 12 seasons?

I think as long as L&V were together, there was the potential for magic and many more possibilities but things changed so it is what it is. lucyhaha.JPG

Very well put JoeySoCal. Personally though, I would have loved to see Ralph mature, he got so much cuter the older he got! I really enjoyed watching him act, shame we don't see much or hear much from him in Season 3.

Joe, what i meant was anything i say about her or her shows is tainted by the fact that i tuned in only for HER, everybody else was gravy. I also stated that she was too restrained and demure in the first season whereas she became more the looney Lucy who was a self assured riot at anything she did in later seasons. And i agree about what you said about LWL and Mame, i love her in them in spite of the material, the co stars or the direction or the bad writing.

new review at: http://www.sitcomsonline.com/thelucyshowseason3dvdreview.html

CBS Home Entertainment has put together an excellent DVD set here, thanks to DVD executive producer Thomas Watson, that is surely not about to disappoint any Lucille Ball fan, and this set is a must own set for lovers of Lucy and classic TV in general.

No wonder they're all turning out so great, if Tom Watson is involved, that SPLAINS things.

No wonder they're all turning out so great, if Tom Watson is involved, that SPLAINS things.

What a nice thing to say, Claude. Guess I am biased (as Tom has been a close friend for years) but as you yourself have said, when fans are involved in a serious project and the 'powers that be' not only listen AND cooperate, it becomes a wonderful team effort. While there are numerous other folks to thank, we must acknowledge two very gifted people who have worked on these Lucy Show sets, Larry Pane and Jonathan Angus!

What a nice thing to say, Claude. Guess I am biased (as Tom has been a close friend for years) but as you yourself have said, when fans are involved in a serious project and the 'powers that be' not only listen AND cooperate, it becomes a wonderful team effort. While there are numerous other folks to thank, we must acknowledge two very gifted people who have worked on these Lucy Show sets, Larry Pane and Jonathan Angus!

And as usual, "Mr. Modest" doesn't even mention that he's helped produce these, too! Take a bow whydontcha, Rick??

They're ALL not just big fans but Tom for one has been heavily "intertwined" with Big Red for years, having started her fan club waaaaay back in the day (remember Star Notes anyone??), worked at CBS where if it weren't for him I most likely would never had the then biggest thrill of my life and a dream I never thought that would come true and that was meeting HER backstage after The Mary Tyler Moore Hour taping (thank you, Tom! I never have recovered!), went on to become her publicist among other duties, began, ran and basically cobbled from the ground up all the wundaful Loving Lucy conventions we had here in LA for several years (which was one of the reasons I so desired wanting to relocate here from the Bay Area because after leaving, I always felt I was missing so much as a Lucy fan not being here living in the thick of thins!) and on to work with her on the ill-fated Life With Lucy. Whew!

In between all that, he's written books about her and ran what was the premiere fan site, We Love Lucy (http://www.lucyfan.com/), the natural online progression from the original fan club, which isn't updated much lately but I presume that's because he's been so busy cranking out these marvels we're now enjoying -- three and counting!

All in all, I'd say Tom Watson is much more than just your average fan and believe me, its largely to our benefit. Bravo, Mr. Watson! Please keep those DVDs coming!

cool.gif

Thanks too should go out to Richard, Larry, Jonathan, Miss Arnaz and Desi Jr. and last but not least, our own Rick "Rickee" Carl, whose contributions to the Lucy community also have not received all the kudos he deserves.

Oh and can that boy draw!! lucythrill.JPG

So, you're involved too Rickee? Then i repeat with great and knowledgeable people like you and Tom involved, perfection gets delivered on every level. I'm not familiar with the other two names you mention but my ONE written encounter with Mr Watson proved the kind of classy guy we have grown to appreciate over the years, from his incredible website to his many appearances where i've seen him action and his job working for Lucy, well, if we can't get a book out of Paula or Frank or even Wanda, then maybe we should start pestering Tom for his version of things? LOL! All classy people who were there and know where the bodies are buried but all too good to spill the beans for money. :lucythrill: I could not be happier with all the Lucy dvd releases, i already had the shows but certainly not in the condition they are NOW and the special features are a Lucy fan's wet dream and the thing with Lucy is she had so much material that she can supply new and different stuff for all the coming ones as well.

And as usual, "Mr. Modest" doesn't even mention that he's helped produce these, too! Take a bow whydontcha, Rick??

They're ALL not just big fans but Tom for one has been heavily "intertwined" with Big Red for years, having started her fan club waaaaay back in the day (remember Star Notes anyone??), worked at CBS where if it weren't for him I most likely would never had the then biggest thrill of my life and a dream I never thought that would come true and that was meeting HER backstage after The Mary Tyler Moore Hour taping (thank you, Tom! I never have recovered!), went on to become her publicist among other duties, began, ran and basically cobbled from the ground up all the wundaful Loving Lucy conventions we had here in LA for several years (which was one of the reasons I so desired wanting to relocate here from the Bay Area because after leaving, I always felt I was missing so much as a Lucy fan not being here living in the thick of thins!) and on to work with her on the ill-fated Life With Lucy. Whew!

In between all that, he's written books about her and ran what was the premiere fan site, We Love Lucy (http://www.lucyfan.com/), the natural online progression from the original fan club, which isn't updated much lately but I presume that's because he's been so busy cranking out these marvels we're now enjoying -- three and counting!

All in all, I'd say Tom Watson is much more than just your average fan and believe me, its largely to our benefit. Bravo, Mr. Watson! Please keep those DVDs coming!

cool.gif

Thanks too should go out to Richard, Larry, Jonathan, Miss Arnaz and Desi Jr. and last but not least, our own Rick "Rickee" Carl, whose contributions to the Lucy community also have not received all the kudos he deserves.

Oh and can that boy draw!! lucythrill.JPG

I KNOW! Every time i see one of Rickee's posts, i admire those drawings at the bottom forever, just incredibly beautiful!!! And YES, i assumed Tom let the website go becauswe he was now saddled with assembling all that great material for the Lucy show releases, great work all!

"Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

I GOT IT I GOT IT!!! Gosh I can't wait to watch the entire season!!!!"

Yay, Miki B) ! Can't wait until I can say the same! Now if only I could convince Santa to swing by here before the 25th & drop off just one little DVD sized package... ;)

Adding my thanks and a standing ovation to all those mentioned in previous posts in this thread who have been working on these Lucy series sets. Well done, everyone!! :lucy2:

"Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:15 AM

I GOT IT I GOT IT!!! Gosh I can't wait to watch the entire season!!!!"

Yay, Miki B) ! Can't wait until I can say the same! Now if only I could convince Santa to swing by here before the 25th & drop off just one little DVD sized package... ;)

Adding my thanks and a standing ovation to all those mentioned in previous posts in this thread who have been working on these Lucy series sets. Well done, everyone!! :lucy2:

Listen to my story, the other two seasons i got like a month late as i bought them in regular stores here, so this time, boyfriend buys it for me from Amazon and gets delivery BEFORE the release date, but in Toronto and he's not coming to Montreal till Friday next week, so i'm waiting A G A I N !

Oh, Claude, what a bummer!! :(

Imagine :desi1: spouting some choice Spanish words about this here to commiserate with you: "!#$#$%^&*&^(*&!!!(())***&++_)&^^^%!!"

Oh i've been saying juicier words than those! You know how hard it's been NOT buying it in the stores every time i see it? But i did that last time and it made him furious.

Here are my reviews:

EXCELLENT

1. Lucy & the Good Skate

2. Lucy & The Winter Sports

3. Lucy & The Great Bank Robbery

4. Lucy's Contact Lenses

5. Lucy Gets Her Maid

6. Lucy & The Ceramic Cat

BORING

1. Lucy & the Plumber

2. Lucy Gets Amnesia

3. Lucy Meets Danny Kaye

4. Lucy & The Old Mansion

5. Lucy & The Beauty Doctor

6. Lucy & The Countess

7. Lucy & The Disc Jockey (My least favouite episode)

AVERAGE

1. Lucy, The Camp Cook

2. Lucy, The Meter Maid

3. Lucy The Coin Collector

4. Lucy Goes To Vegas

5. Lucy & The Countess Lose Weight

GOOD

1. Lucy Makes A Pinch

2. Lucy Becomes A Father

3. Lucy Gets The Bird

4. Lucy & The Missing Stamp

5. Lucy & The Monsters

6. My Fair Lucy

7. Lucy & Arthur Godfrey

8. Lucy The Stockholder

Overall I enjoyed most episodes of Season 3. Personally I have never thought much of Ann Sothern or Danny Kaye for that matter, they both irritate me to no en. Ann Sothern always acts the same in every episode and she has this obsession about grabbing people's faces. Danny Kaye overacts. I could have done without both of them. It's a shame we don't see the kids much this season, I feel like Ralph Hart maybe had a maximum of 5 lines in the entire season.

The special features are not as good as the previous box sets although I really did enjoy the Worlds Fair special. I'm just hoping that we will get to see an interview with Candy or Ralph in future seasons, although I doubt it considering they are not in it anymore. The international broadcast section was a COMPLETE waste of time and that Danny Kaye special was SO annoying! I don't know how people can actually find him amusing!!??

Overall I give this box set a 3.5 out of 5. Whilst it has some outstanding episodes, it also has some of the worst episodes I've seen yet from The Lucy Show and the special features were not as great as previous box sets. I can see why Vivian wanted to have more creative control over the production as some of the episodes were certainly starting to lack something and I couldn't imagine it having continued in the same format for another season.

Oy friggin vey! While i will allow that you are watching old style performers fifty years after their prime, Ann Sothern and Danny Kaye were superstars adored the world over and the fact that they remained on top for fifty years or so proves that their talent was incomparable and people still watch their movies today same as they watch Lucy, these people were stars back when stars had talent and created a following that can never be duplicated today. Ann should have been the one to replace Viv permanently, while Danny's show with Lucy was not as great as it should have been, his special with her was Emmy worthy and the writing superb, it was nice to see Lucy in a special where the material given to her was superior to the drek they usually offered when they got her on a show, thinking that having her on was enough and she would bring in the viewers regardless of the script they handed her.

Oy friggin vey! While i will allow that you are watching old style performers fifty years after their prime, Ann Sothern and Danny Kaye were superstars adored the world over and the fact that they remained on top for fifty years or so proves that their talent was incomparable and people still watch their movies today same as they watch Lucy, these people were stars back when stars had talent and created a following that can never be duplicated today. Ann should have been the one to replace Viv permanently, while Danny's show with Lucy was not as great as it should have been, his special with her was Emmy worthy and the writing superb, it was nice to see Lucy in a special where the material given to her was superior to the drek they usually offered when they got her on a show, thinking that having her on was enough and she would bring in the viewers regardless of the script they handed her.

LOL! I hear what you're saying Claude, maybe cause of my age I don't appreciate their sort of comedy. I don't know, something about Ann always irritated me, I can't help it, I'm just not a fan of hers for some reason. To be honest, I'm glad that she didn't replace Viv, it would have been unbearable to watch LOL! I just can't laugh at anything she does, I wish I could but I just don't find her amusing at all. I find her really irritating, not her personally, but who she portrays.

LOL! I hear what you're saying Claude, maybe cause of my age I don't appreciate their sort of comedy. I don't know, something about Ann always irritated me, I can't help it, I'm just not a fan of hers for some reason. To be honest, I'm glad that she didn't replace Viv, it would have been unbearable to watch LOL! I just can't laugh at anything she does, I wish I could but I just don't find her amusing at all. I find her really irritating, not her personally, but who she portrays.

Oh i understand about Danny, he was an aquired taste, but a sophistocated master at comedic interpretation that he showed in films and he brought a top notch performance level in his tv shows also. But i agree it must be the age thing with Ann, here she's playing a Countess and she is incredible, if this were today, she'd have won an Emmy for those guest shots, she was superb! She can rise up to Lucy's level, playing drunk, showing the common touch behind her new Countess status and that old chestnut about Lucy getting better if she liked or even loved the person she was working with and this case Lucy excells as she is working with a very old friend, a former co worker, a woman she adores and a BIG FAT MOVIE STAR of the first caliber. I assume Ann did not want to become a second banana on a TV show with her history in motion pictures or maybe the cheap producer could not afford her, but Ann should have been Viv's replacement, i can't think of any star who could have matched Lucy's stature, with the possible exception of Eve Arden who could have replaced Viv as effectively as Ann did.

I am loving this season of the show. I've enjoyed every episode, even those that I've read negative critiques of for 10+ years both in books and online.

It's also a fun little bonus to see all of the scenes that were used in next season's 'kaleidoscope' opening which I think most younger fans like myself are the most familiar with and which brings me to the following...

I'm a bad fan for having to ask, but which episode is this from:

lsques.png

I'm a bad fan for having to ask, but which episode is this from:

lsques.png

Lucy, The Stunt Man -- the first appearance of Ironman Carmichael.

I am loving this season of the show. I've enjoyed every episode, even those that I've read negative critiques of for 10+ years both in books and online.

Just out of curiosity, which episodes were you pleasantly surprised by?

Lucy, The Stunt Man -- the first appearance of Ironman Carmichael.

Just out of curiosity, which episodes were you pleasantly surprised by?

Thank you for the quick answer... was there an alternate scene in its place at the beginning of the fourth season prior to the airing of that episode?

I plan on rewatching the set soon, but I've read generalized comments regarding the decline of the show's quality by the third season for years. I was probably most pleasantly surprised by the 'Monsters' and 'stakeout' episodes. My absolute favorites are (off the top of my head): 'Vegas', 'Maid', 'Meter Maid', 'Good Skate', 'Ceramic Cat', 'Amnesia', 'My Fair Lucy', 'The Coin Collector'... all fantastic. Truly, every episode has great moments.

Archived