I have seen him credited on Gypsy and some Bette Davis movies... we know Ann Sothren introduced Lucy... so who is fhis guy a d what is                           hiss                              story?

I dunno HISSSSS story but i'd sure like to find out, maybe we should google him and see.  He sure made their careers last longer with his great work.

His card:  "Have Tape, Will Lift"

For those of you OLD enough to know the show "Have Gun, Will Travel", Richard Boone's ("Palladin") rather blunt slogan on his business card.  Better than "You want them dead?  Done!".  That's another one that's a little before my time, plus it was a Western.  It's saving grace is that was mercifully only a half-hour as opposed to most that were an hour and a couple were "Lord! take me now!!" 90 minutes!

Hibbs must have had the patent on his "lift, tape, cover with wig".  Whenever you see his name in the credits, you know SOMEONE in the cast has had the treatment.  But I wonder if anyone using his methods had to give him on-screen credit?  

His card:  "Have Tape, Will Lift"

For those of you OLD enough to know the show "Have Gun, Will Travel", Richard Boone's ("Palladin") rather blunt slogan on his business card.  Better than "You want them dead?  Done!".  That's another one that's a little before my time, plus it was a Western.  It's saving grace is that was mercifully only a half-hour as opposed to most that were an hour and a couple were "Lord! take me now!!" 90 minutes!

Hibbs must have had the patent on his "lift, tape, cover with wig".  Whenever you see his name in the credits, you know SOMEONE in the cast has had the treatment.  But I wonder if anyone using his methods had to give him on-screen credit?  

I threw away my Have Gun will Travel card a few years ago, that was very big when i was younger.  As for Gene, still haven't gotten around to googling him but as i look in the mirror these days, i wish he had done it for guys too.

In the opening scene of All About Eve when Celeste Holm takes Eve in to meet Bette Davis and Bette is there taking her make up off and talking about LOVE STARVED SOUTHREN WOMEN... Isn't she (Bette) wearing a white cap that could be used to affix tape?  I mean could this be the GENE HIBBS contraption sans wig?  And then (God love her) Thelma Ritter has to come in and talk to Bette .. What a story..everything but the dogs nippin' at her rear end.  (I really love this movie)

In the opening scene of All About Eve when Celeste Holm takes Eve in to meet Bette Davis and Bette is there taking her make up off and talking about LOVE STARVED SOUTHREN WOMEN... Isn't she (Bette) wearing a white cap that could be used to affix tape?  I mean could this be the GENE HIBBS contraption sans wig?  And then (God love her) Thelma Ritter has to come in and talk to Bette .. What a story..everything but the dogs nippin' at her rear end.  (I really love this movie)

No, i think that skull cap is what every actress wears to make the wig fit better.  Bette looked lovely in this, best she ever looked in a movie and close to what she looked like in that period in real life too.  Yes, you're right, this is a classic movie, with great stars, a terrific story and cinema at it's best.  When the people here were discussing comparing the two classics, All About Eve with Sunset Boulevard, i was more of a lover of this one rather than the other.  BUT, then i watched Boulevard again and found it to be a tie, more or less, but i love this one much better though.

Still waiting on the low down on GENE HIBBS.. doesn't anyone on this board know about him?  We should know this stuff being crazy for older Hollywood GODESSES!

I think he later married Marla Hibbs who played the maid on the Jeffersons?  No, seriously, i told you there's nothing on Google so what could WE HERE possibly know about him, there's so little about him in Lucy books also, always the same story, Ann Sothern told Lucy about his famous make up solution when she acted with Lucy and Lucy loved what it did to her face and career, helping her look youthful for so much longer in a town that doesn't tolerate old ladies.

You and me both! You're right it could be  but I think in this case it was just worn to help hold her real hair down under the wig... but I'm no expert about wigs and such.  Cuddles, care to chime in here?? :HALKING:

You and me both! You're right it could be  but I think in this case it was just worn to help hold her real hair down under the wig... but I'm no expert about wigs and such.  Cuddles, care to chime in here?? :HALKING:

I already did.  When Lucy wore that black wig, perfect example, the skull cap hid her real hair and the wig looked more like her natural head of hair.

Still waiting on the low down on GENE HIBBS.. doesn't anyone on this board know about him?  We should know this stuff being crazy for older Hollywood GODESSES!

This, of course, is ONLY for the Lucille Ball/Desilu Productions et al connection(s): :fabrary:

Gene Hibbs, make-up artist, 39 titles; Desilu Productions’, Private Secretary, 20 episodes, 1954-57; The Californians, 3 episodes, 1958; as well as The Ann Sothern Show, 72 episodes, 1958-61; is born this date [1/21] in 1912. [dies 3/20/84]

• Like 1