The I Love Lucy Superstar Special -- Sunday, May 17 on CBS!

Desiluforever

From what I understand, they weren't colorized specifically for the DVD releases. They were done several years previously for some syndication markets. Sony released both because they had both on hand. I, too, have never seen those versions broadcast, although they are commonplace on streaming sites as well. I'm glad to know the reruns are in B&W in some places still, and the Mill Creek re-releases only include the B&W versions.

That's interesting.  I wonder what (if any) markets have broadcast those episodes in color?  I, too, have noticed that the streaming sites -- all the ones I've seen -- do use the colorized versions.  I've just never seen them shown on television.

That's interesting.  I wonder what (if any) markets have broadcast those episodes in color?  I, too, have noticed that the streaming sites -- all the ones I've seen -- do use the colorized versions.  I've just never seen them shown on television.

I'd be curious to know, too. Perhaps it's more common in overseas markets. Sony didn't even bother to release the B&W editions outside America.

I believe the colorized Bewitched episodes aired in Canada before the DVD releases.

Yes, they did. I have only seen the colourized episodes in Canadian syndication, same with I Dream of Jeannie. When FX was in its infancy about 15 - 17 years ago, they aired the colourized Bewitched as part of their morning lineup.

• Like 1

I think each colorized episode will be put on its respective Ultimate Season blu-ray as an extra.

I have a sneaking suspicion that CBS will be repressing the Christmas DVD to include the three new episodes. If it's not marketed specifically as a Christmas release, it'll include all six. So nobody panic. They'll get put out there eventually.

Both very good ideas, Ultimate Season blu ray extra or Christmas dvd I just want LA At Last and Lucy and Superman released on disc in color. One would think that CBS would have released the new color shows after the Superstar Special aired. I just wonder if and when the two color shows will be availabe on blu ray or dvd.

• Like 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that CBS will be repressing the Christmas DVD to include the three new episodes. If it's not marketed specifically as a Christmas release, it'll include all six. So nobody panic. They'll get put out there eventually.

I know that but i still can't wait that long, Christmas is a long way off when you are talking about Lucy you know.

Both very good ideas, Ultimate Season blu ray extra or Christmas dvd I just want LA At Last and Lucy and Superman released on disc in color. One would think that CBS would have released the new color shows after the Superstar Special aired. I just wonder if and when the two color shows will be availabe on blu ray or dvd.

Same here, can't wait.  Should have tried recording them with my dvd recorder, but feared that dreaded COULDN'T GET SIGNAL . . .Maybe i'll try for the rerun if that happens.

It isn't a case of if, but when. People involved have already alluded to the footage cut for time being included for future releases. It'll get issued in some form.

• 4 weeks later...

In case any Lucy Lounge members don't know, I created a Facebook group called, "I Love Lucy" Fans Who Want More Newly Colorized "I Love Lucy" Episode's"

I'm almost up to 400 members, so far.  There are a lot of color and colorized still photographs, as well as screenshots, too.  

If you'd like to join, please do.  Here's the link.  

https://www.facebook.com/groups/853567701383742/

I also created a new photo album with screenshots from The Newly Colorized Classic "LA at Last" Episode.  Here's the link.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.yuhas/media_set?set=a.907756169270272.1073741913.100001076931976&type=3

If you'd like to send me a friend request, here's my personal Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.yuhas

• 1 month later...

Drafted, perhaps? :D

Bite your Aussie tongue, birthday boy!

As weird as it sounds, however, I have got to admit (albeit not too loudly) that I grew a little fonder of this very weak episode after working on the Season One blu-ray set. I guess when you work/live with a given episode for hours and days at a time, it takes on a life of its own... I came to appreciate the fact that we see not only the usual Ricardo livingroom, but the Mertz livingroom, the Ricardo bathroom and the Ricardo hallway/closet... It helps make the setting seem all the more real...  And I love the fact that the original broadcast included the Christmas "tag"...

Too bad the episode had such a silly "sitcom" script! 

• Like 2

Bite your Aussie tongue, birthday boy!

As weird as it sounds, however, I have got to admit (albeit not too loudly) that I grew a little fonder of this very weak episode after working on the Season One blu-ray set. I guess when you work/live with a given episode for hours and days at a time, it takes on a life of its own... I came to appreciate the fact that we see not only the usual Ricardo livingroom, but the Mertz livingroom, the Ricardo bathroom and the Ricardo hallway/closet... It helps make the setting seem all the more real... And I love the fact that the original broadcast included the Christmas "tag"...

Too bad the episode had such a silly "sitcom" script!

Hahaha! I've never been too bothered by this episode, although watching it now I can understand why it's not very popular. The script is very silly and the cast is obviously "acting," but you're absolutely right that it does show off the apartments very well. Plus, I've always cracked up at Ricky's line, "well don't look at US!"

I'd love to see a Connecticut episode colourized since we've already had renditions of the two apartments and the Beverly Palms.

The Country Club Dance would be a fun one, with an added Christmas bonus of Barbara Eden participating in some capacity.

Or "Lucy Raises Tulips." Since we already know what color the tulips were, that'd make it easy :)

I'm still not thrilled with all of this, but I admit that "Lucy is Envious" would be interesting, what with the Empire State Building scene and those colorful Martian getups.

Or "Lucy Raises Tulips." Since we already know what color the tulips were, that'd make it easy :)

With the tulips appearing so bright in glorious black and white, I wonder if they would have the same problem trying to colourize them as they had with the illuminated Christmas lights.