Lucy and gay rights

chedderchester

In his book Desi talks a bit about fights he would have with Lucy about him screwing all the girls on the road. He defends himself saying that he was much too busy for that and besides Fred usually got to them first. This was not the only time I read that Fred had a thing for the ladies as well. I do find this a rather crappy thing to do to your sister by essentially assisting your brother in law to cheat on his wife.

• Like 1

In his book Desi talks a bit about fights he would have with Lucy about him screwing all the girls on the road. He defends himself saying that he was much too busy for that and besides Fred usually got to them first. This was not the only time I read that Fred had a thing for the ladies as well. I do find this a rather crappy thing to do to your sister by essentially assisting your brother in law to cheat on his wife.

Oh yeah, forgot about that and you sure are right about the last part.

I was thinking today, i know, a first no doubt, and i came to this conclusion, Lucy definitely was way ahead of the game on gay rights as she had these all male COUPLES in her home, at dinners and on trips and she never thought about it twice,   Of course, in show business, she had to have seen that for decades but it was pretty wonderful of her to include them and not have any of the old fashioned thoughts some of her contemporaries did.  And she did all that thirty or more years before it became the normalcy it is today.

I used to have a copy of Lucy's will.  I don't know what I did with it, but there is a brief mention of Fred in it.  Now the whole thing was very formal and legalistic so I don't know how to interpret it.  But it said something to the effect that there was nothing for Fred as he had already been taken care of.  I didn't know whether to interpret that as "I've already bestowed my inheritance on Fred in life," or "I'm P.O.'d at Fred, gave him a job in the past and then he did such and such, so there's nothing more for him."  Fred did work for Desilu during the years of Lucy and Desi's marriage, but I'm unaware of him ever working for his sister after their divorce.  And I've never seen photos of them together in later years like you do see photos of Lucy with Cleo or her mother.  And never heard about him ever been at her house, or her at his.  So I don't know.  Makes me wonder.  He did come to at least one of the Lucy conventions in Burbank, so it didn't appear he had any hard feelings.

I was thinking today, i know, a first no doubt, and i came to this conclusion, Lucy definitely was way ahead of the game on gay rights as she had these all male COUPLES in her home, at dinners and on trips and she never thought about it twice,   Of course, in show business, she had to have seen that for decades but it was pretty wonderful of her to include them and not have any of the old fashioned thoughts some of her contemporaries did.  And she did all that thirty or more years before it became the normalcy it is today.

And she was inviting Nancy Kulp and her girlfriend to hang out at her Palm Springs home in the '50s.

I used to have a copy of Lucy's will. I don't know what I did with it, but there is a brief mention of Fred in it. Now the whole thing was very formal and legalistic so I don't know how to interpret it. But it said something to the effect that there was nothing for Fred as he had already been taken care of. I didn't know whether to interpret that as "I've already bestowed my inheritance on Fred in life," or "I'm P.O.'d at Fred, gave him a job in the past and then he did such and such, so there's nothing more for him." Fred did work for Desilu during the years of Lucy and Desi's marriage, but I'm unaware of him ever working for his sister after their divorce. And I've never seen photos of them together in later years like you do see photos of Lucy with Cleo or her mother. And never heard about him ever been at her house, or her at his. So I don't know. Makes me wonder. He did come to at least one of the Lucy conventions in Burbank, so it didn't appear he had any hard feelings.

In the Carson interview TCM recently aired, Lucy mentioned how content she was everyone in her family was happy and healthy, including "my brother and all his kids."

And let's not forget knowingly or not (and I'd be surprised if she didn't!) she employed several as well (e.g. Maury Thompson, Herb Kenwith etc.), and was seemingly quite loyal to them as well.... now whether that was truly a "two-way street" --especially after her passing when lots of kvetching could be heard -- is perhaps another matter. Still, I think it's just another example of how "ahead of her time" she really was!

I used to have a copy of Lucy's will.  I don't know what I did with it, but there is a brief mention of Fred in it.  Now the whole thing was very formal and legalistic so I don't know how to interpret it.  But it said something to the effect that there was nothing for Fred as he had already been taken care of.  I didn't know whether to interpret that as "I've already bestowed my inheritance on Fred in life," or "I'm P.O.'d at Fred, gave him a job in the past and then he did such and such, so there's nothing more for him."  Fred did work for Desilu during the years of Lucy and Desi's marriage, but I'm unaware of him ever working for his sister after their divorce.  And I've never seen photos of them together in later years like you do see photos of Lucy with Cleo or her mother.  And never heard about him ever been at her house, or her at his.  So I don't know.  Makes me wonder.  He did come to at least one of the Lucy conventions in Burbank, so it didn't appear he had any hard feelings.

That is the one single BEST thing about Lucy, Desi and even gary, they A L L took care of family, all the time, as soon as they had money, they made sure everyone related was well taken care of, which is something Lucy did her whole life, even friends and some strangers too.  As for Fred, Lucy gave him work, and many jobs over the years, that's what she meant, she took care of him her whole life so why should she include him in her will? 

• Like 1

In the Carson interview TCM recently aired, Lucy mentioned how content she was everyone in her family was happy and healthy, including "my brother and all his kids."

Anyone in the know exactly, and correctly, just HOW MANY children Fred had?  I've not been aware of some of this stuff before.

Lucy made Fred head of real estate investments at Desilu after she became president. Fred was also manager of the Indian Wells Hotel was opened by Desi, but was controlled by Lucy.

Thanks, Harry...

How many offspring does he claim?  names, if you have them - when you have time....Loving you, JK

Thanks. That's the part I was missing. Heck I don't even know if I knew his second wive's name. Where did that marriage fit in?

Can you give me the run down like that for Cleo's kids too.

Fred and Phyllis Brier married in the late 1940s at the Desilu Ranch. Phyllis was from Jamestown.

Cleo's marriages:

Artie Auerbach

Kenny Morgan (son: Scott)

Cecil Smith (children: Marcus and Tina)