The Carol Burnett Show - Seasons 1-5 Coming This Fall!

Mot Morenzi

Will these DVD's be season sets or a best of collection? It would be nice to seem them release season sets but I doubt they would do that - it would cost to much to produce and would be an expensive set to buy as season sets. I think if it will be a best of collection, then will probably include Lucy appearances.

I don't think it would be that hard to compile complete season sets of shows, as they would definitely sell and there's more than enough bonus features that you could include from the countless reunion specials, retrospectives, and bloopers that they saved from the show's run. It's just one season of hour-long shows, no different from the 100+ seasons of CSI, NCIS, Law & Order, etc. that have been released and continue to be released. The only problem I would see with putting these shows out would be some music copyright issues.

I don't think it would be that hard to compile complete season sets of shows, as they would definitely sell and there's more than enough bonus features that you could include from the countless reunion specials, retrospectives, and bloopers that they saved from the show's run. It's just one season of hour-long shows, no different from the 100+ seasons of CSI, NCIS, Law & Order, etc. that have been released and continue to be released. The only problem I would see with putting these shows out would be some music copyright issues.

Yeah, never even thought of that, must be a lot of major copyright issues with the music as she loved the old music from films.

Don't get mad at me folks.  I absolutely love Carol Burnett.  I never missed her show growing up, and it was my favorite.  But when I see reruns now, most of it seems really dated. Like those commercial take-offs that leave me struggling to dig into the recesses of my mind to try to remember the commercials they're parodying so that perhaps I might get the joke.  And a lot of the routines just seem corny now.

I do like many of the Harvey Korman/Tim Conway bits, though not all.   I definitely like the Mama, Ed and Eunice family sketches, which I think are brilliant and hilarious.  I generally like the Mrs. Wiggins and Mrs. Tudball skits.  And I love the Nora Desmond sketches, and some of the movie take-offs.  But most of that came later on in the series.  Early on, perhaps starting with season one, there was a regular family thing they did where Carol and Vicki played sisters.  I always found those painfully boring.  I will probably buy the DVDs, but I'm wondering if there's much in these early seasons that will not leave me disappointed.

• Like 1

Don't get mad at me folks.  I absolutely love Carol Burnett.  I never missed her show growing up, and it was my favorite.  But when I see reruns now, most of it seems really dated. Like those commercial take-offs that leave me struggling to dig into the recesses of my mind to try to remember the commercials they're parodying so that perhaps I might get the joke.  And a lot of the routines just seem corny now.

I do like many of the Harvey Korman/Tim Conway bits, though not all.   I definitely like the Mama, Ed and Eunice family sketches, which I think are brilliant and hilarious.  I generally like the Mrs. Wiggins and Mrs. Tudball skits.  And I love the Nora Desmond sketches, and some of the movie take-offs.  But most of that came later on in the series.  Early on, perhaps starting with season one, there was a regular family thing they did where Carol and Vicki played sisters.  I always found those painfully boring.  I will probably buy the DVDs, but I'm wondering if there's much in these early seasons that will not leave me disappointed.

I agree- to a degree. Some sketches had absolutely brilliant writing like the Mama sketches. However, some sketches do fall short writing wise and are only saved because of performances and ad-libs. I do think that sometimes the skits come across as live action versions of crappy MAD Magazine movie parodies. I disagree about the Carol and Vicki ones (Carol & Sis, as they were formally called). I think it kind of gives you a window into what it would be like if Carol had done a sitcom, as CBS originally intended for her.

So true about it being dated, i guess that's why they never wanted I L L to be topical so it would hold up decades later.

• Like 1

I agree- to a degree. Some sketches had absolutely brilliant writing like the Mama sketches. However, some sketches do fall short writing wise and are only saved because of performances and ad-libs. I do think that sometimes the skits come across as live action versions of crappy MAD Magazine movie parodies. I disagree about the Carol and Vicki ones (Carol & Sis, as they were formally called). I think it kind of gives you a window into what it would be like if Carol had done a sitcom, as CBS originally intended for her.

Oh yeah, the Mama sketches were the absolute best part of the show, for me at least.

• Like 1

On the subject of copyright, lots of complete episodes have been released with musical numbers intact. Even if some get left out, let's be honest, we're not watching The Carol Burnett Show just to see Eydie Gorme do sing Luna Lunera.

That's true, besides they're very old songs for the most part so how expensive can they be?

• Like 1

I've never seen any variety show released on DVD as Season sets. They usually compilations. It would great if they did release season sets of Carol Burnett but I know it will be very expensive. That Time Life set had about 50 shows and cost around $200. so if Carol did maybe 25 shows a seasons- it would have to be close to $100. Per season with all the music rights. Eventually the price will go down over time. Was Dean Martins show ever released as season sets? I know there are a lot of compilations out there.

I've never seen any variety show released on DVD as Season sets. They usually compilations. It would great if they did release season sets of Carol Burnett but I know it will be very expensive. That Time Life set had about 50 shows and cost around $200. so if Carol did maybe 25 shows a seasons- it would have to be close to $100. Per season with all the music rights. Eventually the price will go down over time. Was Dean Martins show ever released as season sets? I know there are a lot of compilations out there.

Oh yeah, Dean Martin was the best, there were so many great variety shows on at one time, but you're right, you seldom see them out on dvd and even then, never sold by the season.

The first five years of SNL were released. I just looked it up and they're currently priced between $13 and $25, and these are the complete 1 1/2 hour episodes with music. Now I know that Carol must be a big seller, otherwise they wouldn't constantly be releasing new material. It couldn't be terribly expensive if they did season sets.