The Carol Burnett Show - Seasons 1-5 Coming This Fall!

Mot Morenzi

That's interesting that SNL are out as season sets. How much were they priced when they came out. Im sure those prices are on sale. I know when they put out a compilation of Sonny & Cher shows (9 shows on 3 DVD's) and were sold thru on line and TV sales at $79.99. They were later distributed thru stores at $59.99. I picked up my copy at  Tower for $45. but it was a 3 DVD set, still expensive but it was because it cost so much to produce. Somebody once told me they asked the guy who distributed them about the sales and they did sell well but the guy still lost money on it. Im sure a big company like Time Life can take a risk if they lose money on it. Lets see what they do.

That's interesting that SNL are out as season sets. How much were they priced when they came out. Im sure those prices are on sale. I know when they put out a compilation of Sonny & Cher shows (9 shows on 3 DVD's) and were sold thru on line and TV sales at $79.99. They were later distributed thru stores at $59.99. I picked up my copy at  Tower for $45. but it was a 3 DVD set, still expensive but it was because it cost so much to produce. Somebody once told me they asked the guy who distributed them about the sales and they did sell well but the guy still lost money on it. Im sure a big company like Time Life can take a risk if they lose money on it. Lets see what they do.

The season SNL sets were very pricey when they first came out. I paid $60 for season 1 to give to my dad for Christmas. I think they stopped after Season 5 due to licensing issues. But those "first 5 years" were the most coveted, at any rate.

I disagree about the Carol and Vicki ones (Carol & Sis, as they were formally called). I think it kind of gives you a window into what it would be like if Carol had done a sitcom, as CBS originally intended for her.

My problem with those skits is there is nothing at all interesting about those characters.  Maybe it's a total lack of imagination.  They're just bland.  But Eunice, Mama and Ed is the complete opposite: those are brilliant characters with so many layers, and interesting dynamics between each other.  Now THAT'S worthy of a sitcom.  And yes, I know there was Mama's Family, but that would have been so much better if Carol and Harvey had been series regulars.  It kind of reminds me of how the Honeymooners skits evolved into the perfect sitcom.

So true about it being dated, i guess that's why they never wanted I L L to be topical so it would hold up decades later.

As it has!  I've been watching my Mary Tyler Moore Show DVDs lately.  I absolutely love the show, but it astounds me how many topical references there are in that series.  I can probably count about a dozen such references in certain episodes.  Younger generations would not get many of those jokes.  I think that has hurt the longevity of the show.

• 3 weeks later...

Lucy will feature in the first release of "Lost Episodes" ( :MrsRichardCarlson: ), apparently handpicked by Carol:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-The-Lost-Episodes/21091

When doesn't Carol "hand-pick" the contents of these collections? LOL!

But very exciting news nonetheless. I wonder if they're still planning to release the complete series 1-5 or if this is it...

I'm looking forward to this! If there's only one Lucy episode on the set I bet it will be Lucy's first appearance. That episode also marked Tim Conway's debut on the show.

That would be a great find. I know CBs was limited in how much they could show on season 6, so it'll be great to finally see the entire sketch.

so they are just releasing a best-of set. It would have been nice to see season sets but I doubt that will happen. Glad to see Lucy will be included in the best of set.

At least for now. A lot of the former news bulletins strongly implied that complete collections will arrive eventually. TimeLife does a lot of various collections with this show, who knows what we may see.

I'm looking forward to this! If there's only one Lucy episode on the set I bet it will be Lucy's first appearance. That episode also marked Tim Conway's debut on the show.

I have only seen the first show and the clips at .34 .55 are not from it.

I have only seen the first show and the clips at .34 .55 are not from it.

I didn't realize there was a trailer for the release. Thanks for pointing that out. These clips are both from Lucy's second appearance on the series with Eddie Albert and Nancy Wilson also appearing. I'm glad this one will be included.

• Like 1

I remember being so confused on the Here's Lucy where they went to see Carol's show. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to actually be Carol Burnett or not because I didn't recognize the set. I'm guessing the production budget went up in the later years. For as much clowning as Carol did, the show was actually very elegant and detailed in sets and costumes all around.

I remember being so confused on the Here's Lucy where they went to see Carol's show. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to actually be Carol Burnett or not because I didn't recognize the set. I'm guessing the production budget went up in the later years. For as much clowning as Carol did, the show was actually very elegant and detailed in sets and costumes all around.

One reason it looked "different" is because Carol's "show" soundstage wasn't replicated to look exactly like her usual location (CBS Television CIty, Studio 33) on Lucy's Paramount (HL's) soundstage.  One of those little "details" we fans (crackerjack and otherwise!) aren't supposed to notice! :lucythrill:

• 1 month later...

The episodes included have been announced and this sounds like one of the most incredible DVD sets of all time! Three of Lucy's four appearances are included! Lucy's final guest shot alongside Mel Torme is the only one missing. I guess they have to save something in case they do another volume. Also included is Carol Plus Two!

http://timelife.com/products/the-carol-burnett-show-the-lost-episodes-ultimate-collection

• Like 2

The episodes included have been announced and this sounds like one of the most incredible DVD sets of all time! Three of Lucy's four appearances are included! Lucy's final guest shot alongside Mel Torme is the only one missing. I guess they have to save something in case they do another volume. Also included is Carol Plus Two!

http://timelife.com/products/the-carol-burnett-show-the-lost-episodes-ultimate-collection

Fantastic news! What a great set indeed!