The Carol Burnett Show - Seasons 1-5 Coming This Fall!

Mot Morenzi

I saw the commercial and I think you just get the first 6 DVD set volume (with Lucy on it) plus the 2 bonus disc's for a total of 8 shows for only five easy payments of $19.99 each - that's $100, when the first 6 volume DVD set comes out next week, its list price is $59 but of course will sell for less.

• 1 month later...

I've ordered the $199 version of this but have not received it yet.  However I caught a full episode uploaded to youtube that is mis-labeled Season ONE, Episode 8.  It's actually from Carol's 2nd season.  Lucy is noticeably hoarse, more than normal.  A touch of laryngitis perhaps.  That may explain why her last line "Treat him right" in the "Good Man is Hard to Find" quartet is dubbed, but couldn't they have picked someone who sounded SOMETHING like Lucy?  In her solo segment as part of the "Good Man" finale, she looks tremendous, regal and classy.  She does her own singing and the range of notes is kept pretty tight.  However she sounds GREAT!  There are a few instances, actually VERY few over the years, when Lucy sings and I can detect some actual vibrato.  It's rare but she succeeds here, most evident when she sings the notes to the words "dare" and "royal ball".   I keep thinking with a little more training she could have turned into more of a singer than she was.

Trivia question: Her "Mame" singing: there's ONE note that Lucy sings vibrato that sounds wonderful.  Does anyone know which note and song I'm talking about?   And it's not "bow" from "Christmas".  Although that word/note is vibrato-ed, it's not as well done as the note I'm talking about. 

Lucy is brought on for the pre-show Q&A which is quite interesting.   Some clown asks LUCY to do the Tarzan yell to which she replies "I'm lucky to be able to talk" before deferring to Carol....so it's likely she was indeed suffering from that laryngitis.  Here's Lucy had just debuted so Lucy talks about working with her kids.  Again she looks great as she always does when she wears her hair in the Lucy Ricardo-bun facsimile.  It's a mystery why it wasn't her hairdo of choice.

• Like 1

I've ordered the $199 version of this but have not received it yet.  However I caught a full episode uploaded to youtube that is mis-labeled Season ONE, Episode 8.  It's actually from Carol's 2nd season.  Lucy is noticeably hoarse, more than normal.  A touch of laryngitis perhaps.  That may explain why her last line "Treat him right" in the "Good Man is Hard to Find" quartet is dubbed, but couldn't they have picked someone who sounded SOMETHING like Lucy?  In her solo segment as part of the "Good Man" finale, she looks tremendous, regal and classy.  She does her own singing and the range of notes is kept pretty tight.  However she sounds GREAT!  There are a few instances, actually VERY few over the years, when Lucy sings and I can detect some actual vibrato.  It's rare but she succeeds here, most evident when she sings the notes to the words "dare" and "royal ball".   I keep thinking with a little more training she could have turned into more of a singer than she was.

Trivia question: Her "Mame" singing: there's ONE note that Lucy sings vibrato that sounds wonderful.  Does anyone know which note and song I'm talking about?   And it's not "bow" from "Christmas".  Although that word/note is vibrato-ed, it's not as well done as the note I'm talking about. 

Lucy is brought on for the pre-show Q&A which is quite interesting.   Some clown asks LUCY to do the Tarzan yell to which she replies "I'm lucky to be able to talk" before deferring to Carol....so it's likely she was indeed suffering from that laryngitis.  Here's Lucy had just debuted so Lucy talks about working with her kids.  Again she looks great as she always does when she wears her hair in the Lucy Ricardo-bun facsimile.  It's a mystery why it wasn't her hairdo of choice.

Could it be "My Best Girl" Neil? I've always thought was just about the best she sounded on the entire Mame soundtrack, at least the first couple of lines... she doesn't quite maintain it through the entire song but sounds great while it lasts: "You're my best beau, you're handsome and brave and strong, there's nothing we two can't face......" :fabrary:

Could it be "My Best Girl" Neil? I've always thought was just about the best she sounded on the entire Mame soundtrack, at least the first couple of lines... she doesn't quite maintain it through the entire song but sounds great while it lasts: "You're my best beau, you're handsome and brave and strong, there's nothing we two can't face......" :fabrary:

you are correct!  Particularly the note she hits for "strong" and you're also right: she doesn't really sustain that level of quality but is still pretty good.

When the Merv Griffin Show had its Lucy night we've all seen now, it ran in October of 1973, 6 months before Mame's premiere,.  The "color answer print" (as Gary pointed out) clips they showed included a little It's Today dance, some of the Mame number, but the only singing of Lucy's we heard were the lines you quoted---which gave us the impression she was going to sound better over all than she did.

• Like 1

you are correct!  Particularly the note she hits for "strong" and you're also right: she doesn't really sustain that level of quality but is still pretty good.

When the Merv Griffin Show had its Lucy night we've all seen now, it ran in October of 1973, 6 months before Mame's premiere,.  The "color answer print" (as Gary pointed out) clips they showed included a little It's Today dance, some of the Mame number, but the only singing of Lucy's we heard were the lines you quoted---which gave us the impression she was going to sound better over all than she did.

Thought so. It's also my favorite scene in the entire film.  There's something particularly poignant about it and her opening lines of the song really reflect that.  While I'm no big fan of that kid, he held his own with her in this scene and I think a few more scenes like it would have done the finished product a world of good!  :lucyeww:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-Best-of-Tim-Conway/23037

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CELEBRATE INIMITABLE COMEDY LEGEND TIM

CONWAY WITH A BRAND-NEW DVD COLLECTION

FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED

EPISODES OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:

THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY

April 4, 2017

The Single DVD ($12.95 srp) Includes Four

Complete Episodes - Three Not Seen in More

Than 40 Years! - Featuring Conway's Most

Indelible Characters Such as "Oldest Man," "Mr.

Tudball," "The Virgin Prince," and "The Dentist"

During his frequent guest appearances on The Carol Burnett Show, Tim Conway, who had originally gotten his start on McHale's Navy, was a one-man wrecking crew capable of leveling the audience and cast members alike with the slightest gesture. With an unparalleled gift for improvisation and physical comedy, Conway became a permanent part of the cast in 1975, and would go on to create a gallery of oddball characters that blossomed in their own bumbling ineptitude, from the "Oldest Man" to the irascible boss, Mr. Tudball. THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY celebrates this inimitable and legendary comic with four complete episodes - three not seen in more than 40 years - featuring some of his most unforgettable characters and moments.

In Episode 312 (airdate: December 8, 1969), Conway's "Oldest Man" gives himself a slo-mo oil change playing the default head of a racetrack pit crew; and, as "The Virgin Prince," he's a "swishbuckling" tour de farce with an appetite for flies and destruction. Episode 423 (airdate: April 19, 1971) features Conway as "The Lone Ranger" and acting like man's best friend in "Dog's Life" (blooper included!) Episode 513 (airdate: December 1, 1971) includes the all-time Conway/Korman classic sketch, "The Dentist," which remains the stuff of TV legend and one of the all-time-great moments of physical comedy. And, in Episode 0120 (airdate: February 26, 1978), Conway stars as Mr. Tudball, well-known for his strange accent and regimented work style, who takes leave of his senses while showing compassion for his dimwitted secretary, Mrs. Wiggins (Burnett).

CarolBurnettShow_BestOfTimConway.jpg

• Like 1

Ooh! I hope they do one for each cast member! They're gonnna have to scrounge for poor Lyle, though.

Still waiting on a release for "The Complete Mother Marcus", too.

Judging by the cover design, I'd say they are going to do a release for each cast member. A very clever idea.

You're right, though, Lyle's would be a tough one, as he was primarily the straight man.

Judging by the cover design, I'd say they are going to do a release for each cast member. A very clever idea.

You're right, though, Lyle's would be a tough one, as he was primarily the straight man.

That's okay...since most of his scenes were striking in one way or the other: natty in a tuxedo or stripped down and baring a buff bod! :blink:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-Best-of-Tim-Conway/23037

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CELEBRATE INIMITABLE COMEDY LEGEND TIM

CONWAY WITH A BRAND-NEW DVD COLLECTION

FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED

EPISODES OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW

THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW:

THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY

April 4, 2017

The Single DVD ($12.95 srp) Includes Four

Complete Episodes - Three Not Seen in More

Than 40 Years! - Featuring Conway's Most

Indelible Characters Such as "Oldest Man," "Mr.

Tudball," "The Virgin Prince," and "The Dentist"

During his frequent guest appearances on The Carol Burnett Show, Tim Conway, who had originally gotten his start on McHale's Navy, was a one-man wrecking crew capable of leveling the audience and cast members alike with the slightest gesture. With an unparalleled gift for improvisation and physical comedy, Conway became a permanent part of the cast in 1975, and would go on to create a gallery of oddball characters that blossomed in their own bumbling ineptitude, from the "Oldest Man" to the irascible boss, Mr. Tudball. THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE BEST OF TIM CONWAY celebrates this inimitable and legendary comic with four complete episodes - three not seen in more than 40 years - featuring some of his most unforgettable characters and moments.

In Episode 312 (airdate: December 8, 1969), Conway's "Oldest Man" gives himself a slo-mo oil change playing the default head of a racetrack pit crew; and, as "The Virgin Prince," he's a "swishbuckling" tour de farce with an appetite for flies and destruction. Episode 423 (airdate: April 19, 1971) features Conway as "The Lone Ranger" and acting like man's best friend in "Dog's Life" (blooper included!) Episode 513 (airdate: December 1, 1971) includes the all-time Conway/Korman classic sketch, "The Dentist," which remains the stuff of TV legend and one of the all-time-great moments of physical comedy. And, in Episode 0120 (airdate: February 26, 1978), Conway stars as Mr. Tudball, well-known for his strange accent and regimented work style, who takes leave of his senses while showing compassion for his dimwitted secretary, Mrs. Wiggins (Burnett).

CarolBurnettShow_BestOfTimConway.jpg

I kinda like this concept but a little surprised the "theme" needed only one disc! But I suppose that's because they went with selected, full episodes rather than selected sketches and whatnot.... Might have been nice if they'd added another disc with clips, bloopers (as a result of Tim's shenanigans, e.g. the infamous "elephant story" from the "Family" sketch with Vicki's classic payoff, and other selected highlights of Tim's many hilarious, often unscripted contributions!

Since they're going this theme route (reminds me of those costly Columbia House collections --that I STILL have!!), be nice if they ultimately produced one for at least Harvey's and Vicki's "Best of" moments and somewhere along the line, a definitive collection of all the "Family" sketches -- would LOVE that! :peachonthebeach:

• 2 months later...

Lucy's final appearance (and the only one not previously reased) on The Carol Burnett Show (and the only one not previously released) is included on the new Best of The Carol Burnett Show 50th Anniversary DVD set from Time Life.

http://timelife.com/products/the-best-of-the-carol-burnett-show

https://youtu.be/lYzB-TdNJ1M

Carol's been hand-pickin' again!

• Like 2

Lucy's final appearance (and the only one not previously reased) on The Carol Burnett Show is included on the new Best of The Carol Burnett Show 50th Anniversary DVD set from Time Life.

http://timelife.com/products/the-best-of-the-carol-burnett-show

So it's getting a little hard to keep track: how many actual full-length episodes are now available, and how many "incarnations" of these various releases do you have to acquire to get ALL of them?? I confuse! :blink:

Frankly, and I'm probably in the minority here as usual, but now that the first 5 previously Brownstein-clogged seasons are available, I'd much prefer that instead of these subjective "Best of" collections (which I detest in any form!! You're "best" is not necessarily MY "best" (favorites)!!), that they'd have gone back literally to the beginning and released -- in two or three volumes, if necessary -- ALL the shows, in broadcast order, and be done with it! 

It may have taken longer in the long run, such as back in the day when Columbia House originally released every ILL episode -- by theme yet!! -- which took SIXTY (yes, 60!! :blink: ) VHS tapes but at least ultimately they were all OUT!

So it's getting a little hard to keep track: how many actual full-length episodes are now available, and how many "incarnations" of these various releases do you have to acquire to get ALL of them?? I confuse! :blink:

Frankly, and I'm probably in the minority here as usual, but now that the first 5 previously Brownstein-clogged seasons are available, I'd much prefer that instead of these subjective "Best of" collections (which I detest in any form!! You're "best" is not necessarily MY "best" (favorites)!!), that they'd have gone back literally to the beginning and released -- in two or three volumes, if necessary -- ALL the shows, in broadcast order, and be done with it! 

It may have taken longer in the long run, such as back in the day when Columbia House originally released every ILL episode -- by theme yet!! -- which took SIXTY (yes, 60!! :blink: ) VHS tapes but at least ultimately they were all OUT!

I'm pretty sure the seasons 1-5 set is also a best of. The original press release seemed to hint at a complete release but it ultimately wasn't. No complete seasons have ever been released to date, only highlights.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Harvey's getting a release!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Carol-Burnett-Best-of-Harvey-Korman/23439

• LAUGH WITH COMEDY LEGEND HARVEY KORMAN ON A BRAND-NEW DVD FEATURING NEVER-BEFORE-RELEASED EPISODES OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW: THE BEST OF HARVEY KORMAN

The producers of the Carol Burnett Show wanted a "Harvey Korman-type" for Burnett's second banana, but didn't bother to actually ask Korman if he was interested in the job because he was already a regular on the Danny Kaye Show, and most likely he wouldn't leave a steady job for an unproven new show. Burnett herself spotted Korman in the CBS parking lot one day and "practically threw him over the hood of a car" begging him to join her show. Unbeknownst to her, Kaye's show was about to get the axe after a four-year run, so Korman cheerfully accepted her offer shortly after that first meeting, and as they say the rest is history.

Harvey Korman was television's top second banana :viv2:  during his 10-season run on the Carol Burnett Show. He had Emmys and a Golden Globe award to prove it. No sketch, drama or musical number was safe once he entered the scene. Three episodes in this collection are so rare that they haven't been seen in almost 50 years! Plus guest stars Sid Caesar, Diahann Carroll, Tim Conway, Ella Fitzgerald, Bernadette Peters, and Nancy Wilson.

COMICAL HIGHLIGHTS:
    For THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW we're highlighting each of the stars. THE BEST OF HARVEY KORMAN is a capsule history of comedic genius. The man was fearless: he sang, he danced, he ad-libbed, he pranced, and he made TV audiences laugh until they cried! This DVD features four episodes, and showcases some of Harvey's most memorable moments from the Carol Burnett Show, including:

WHY BUY?
    With a Tim Conway-focused DVD already under their belts since April, Time Life now turns their attention to an August 1st release of The Carol Burnett Show - The Best of Harvey Korman on DVD! This single-disc release is priced at just $12.95, and - as the EXTENSIVE studio description quoted above informs us - there are THREE episodes on this disc which are completely new-to-DVD. Our thanks to regular reader Jackson Burnett for spotting this and giving us the heads-up about it! Here's the package art, and an Amazon.com pre-order button link:
    • Classic long-running sketches "V.I.P.," "Carol and Sis," and "The Old Folks."
    • He goes way over the top as a conga player and singer supporting Carol's Carmen Miranda character; Carol cracks up at Harvey falling on his rear.
    • Harvey slips into a Hugh Hefner-style fantasy to indulge his ego. It's all about moi.
    • As the suave Count Fettuccine, he embarks on a romantic Venetian fling with spinster Carol.
    • Tim Conway's "Oldest Man" safecracker busting up Harvey during a jewelry heist.
    • Harvey as the President in a casual, spontaneous "Fireside Chat" with the First Family.
    • A very vocal Harvey Korman Fan Club who track him to his dressing room.
    • Then lip-syncing Korman outdoes himself in full drag, donning a sequined dress and heels for an Andrews Sisters takeoff with Carol and Vicki Lawrence...all to benefit the PTA!
    • You'll get 4 complete episodes on one DVD.
    • Three episodes haven't been seen in over 40 years!
    • These are the best episodes featuring comedy legend Harvey Korman.
    • Perfect for fans of The Carol Burnett Show.

CarolBurnettShow_BestOfHarveyKorman.jpg

If there's no Mother Marcus, I ain't buyin'!

• Like 1

Hate these "Best of.." damn things! Release the ENTIRE series, asshats! :blink:

It's obvious by now that they've cleared the legal rights to the whole series. All 11 seasons released together would be a HUGE seller and a landmark DVD release. Although with Time Life at the helm, one can only imagine what the price would be!
  • Like 1

I'm a bit pessimistic about these releases after reading reviews about the Tim Conway set. Most of the episodes had some or all of the music numbers deleted. One episode apparently clocked in at 31 minutes when it should have been around 50.

• Like 1