The Carol Burnett Show - Seasons 1-5 Coming This Fall!

Mot Morenzi

It's obvious by now that they've cleared the legal rights to the whole series. All 11 seasons released together would be a HUGE seller and a landmark DVD release. Although with Time Life at the helm, one can only imagine what the price would be!

True, however it appears that Time Life -- at least with the first big TCBS DVD set -- offered an "installment" plan, which would certainly make it more "doable" over time for some of us rather than a huge outlay all at once for what admittedly be a very big "magilla"....but, something tells me, worth every cent either way! :HALKING:

• Like 2

I'm a bit pessimistic about these releases after reading reviews about the Tim Conway set. Most of the episodes had some or all of the music numbers deleted. One episode apparently clocked in at 31 minutes when it should have been around 50.

Oh, interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Music licensing is such a tricky thing, it seems. Even companies who are willing to pay license fees sometimes have to deal with rights-holders who won't license their music for anything at all. I know there were roadblocks when prepping the complete Wonder Years set - apparently the label that owns The Doors never licenses their music, so TimeLife had to substitute.

Given the huge variety of music that appeared on The Carol Burnett Show over the years, it's disheartening but unsurprising that not all of the songs would be cleared.

• Like 1

The Time Life Red Skelton set only includes the musical numbers when they're performed by a guest star. All the excised stuff is presumably performed by the Alan Copland Singers and the Tom Hansen Dancers, who are basically there to fill time. Some episodes are shockingly short, to the point where I wonder just how many songs those bland people did! Cutting musical numbers from TCBS, however, is a dumb idea because they've usually got quite a bit of merit to them.

• Like 1

The Time Life Red Skelton set only includes the musical numbers when they're performed by a guest star. All the excised stuff is presumably performed by the Alan Copland Singers and the Tom Hansen Dancers, who are basically there to fill time. Some episodes are shockingly short, to the point where I wonder just how many songs those bland people did! Cutting musical numbers from TCBS, however, is a dumb idea because they've usually got quite a bit of merit to them.

Dumb, perhaps, but possibly unavoidable. As mentioned in my previous post, rights-holders sometimes refuse to license certain artists or songs even if a company is willing to pony up. It seems to be a very complicated scenario, and it's impossible to know all of the factors at play. I know TimeLife tries hard to clear all that they can, and usually succeed. It's amazing to think of the number of CB episodes that have been released in their entirety.

• Like 2