New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

I'm thinking it was between the years 1928 to 1931. And I've read in Brady's book that her friends later said that she did have a bout with arthritis at that time, but it wasn't as big a deal as Lucy made it out to be. Lucy was an exaggerator so the whole "learning how to walk all over again" was probably a bit of a white lie.

I don't think she'd be embarassed to talk about arthritis and being crippled for a couple years. If anything that makes her sound more admirable and headstrong that she'd taught herself to walk again. Methinks the real story is that she couldn't get her answers straight over the years because she was really covering up something that would've been unforgivable to the 1950s-1960s public -- an abortion.

A star of her magnitude WOULD have to cover up something like that, especially back then, as you say. While we're on the subject of unsavory material, what about those parties for important old men where she would go for the free meal, there would be envelopes under each plate for each starlet there, one hundred dollars, and she went, definitely needed the money, yet, she always said she never did anything like that, sleep with her dinner date, like the other girls did. Maybe the reason i never liked Dance Girl Dance is there's this scene of this ugly guy leering at her, obviously wanting her, in that way, and every time i see it, i think of her and those parties and her having to sleep with some of those jerks to get ahead.

What were the years that she claimed the arthritis? Something makes me think it was a 3 year span. On the Ed Sullivan tribute in 1953 the auto accident is mentioned. I understood hiding arthritis under the guise of an auto accident, but when she suppodly came clean about it being arthritis I would think she would have talked more about having to learn how to walk again. If that is the true cause then maybe she was too embarrassed to talk about it.

Yeah, i think the auto accident became a new story, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, but was really a botched abortion. Man, what i would have given for five minutes with marion Strong, LOL!

A star of her magnitude WOULD have to cover up something like that, especially back then, as you say. While we're on the subject of unsavory material, what about those parties for important old men where she would go for the free meal, there would be envelopes under each plate for each starlet there, one hundred dollars, and she went, definitely needed the money, yet, she always said she never did anything like that, sleep with her dinner date, like the other girls did. Maybe the reason i never liked Dance Girl Dance is there's this scene of this ugly guy leering at her, obviously wanting her, in that way, and every time i see it, i think of her and those parties and her having to sleep with some of those jerks to get ahead.

Yeah, made me wonder when I heard that story too and her saying she only took the money but never slept with anyone. I don't know. I really hope she didn't have to lower herself to that. But look at some of the fuggos she had relationships with. If she felt she had to, I'm thinking she would have grinned and beared it. Or maybe the correct wording is "grinned and bared it." LOL :marionstrong:

Yeah, i think the auto accident became a new story, RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS, but was really a botched abortion. Man, what i would have given for five minutes with marion Strong, LOL!

No kidding. If this stuff were to come out now about Lucy, would anyone hold it against her? I mean these are enlightened times and people would be more understanding. I don't know why her friends just don't/didn't spill the beans, but I guess they feel it's no one's business. It wouldn't make a difference now that she's gone and everything.

Makes you wonder why Lucy "wigged out" during this period. I guess the stress from Grandpa Hunt's trial and their losing their home, being broke, and her aunt Lola dying around this time was just too much for Lucy to handle emotionally and it came out in destructive ways. I think this is what Marion was getting at. If it wasn't an abortion or a secret adoption, maybe Lucy killed someone. LMAO

:peachonthebeach::marionstrong:

No kidding. If this stuff were to come out now about Lucy, would anyone hold it against her? I mean these are enlightened times and people would be more understanding. I don't know why her friends just don't/didn't spill the beans, but I guess they feel it's no one's business. It wouldn't make a difference now that she's gone and everything.

Makes you wonder why Lucy "wigged out" during this period. I guess the stress from Grandpa Hunt's trial and their losing their home, being broke, and her aunt Lola dying around this time was just too much for Lucy to handle emotionally and it came out in destructive ways. I think this is what Marion was getting at. If it wasn't an abortion or a secret adoption, maybe Lucy killed someone. LMAO

No, wanting to kill someone would have fit more at the end of her life and her marriage to gary, LOL! No, i think it was a botched abortion and that certainly would have been normal BACK THEN, before birth control, especially for a girl considered FAST in Jamestown. And maybe she suffered from the same father complex her daughter had. Lucy lost her dad so early in life and spent so much time afterwards dating older men, looking for another daddy.

Makes you wonder why Lucy "wigged out" during this period.

I dun't thin she ever WIGGED OUT, she was just incredibly ahead of her time, always restless there in that hick town, wanting more, wanting to become famous, she considered herself ugly so she especially wanted to prove them all wrong, and she constantly did things to shock people, to get attention. That's partly a LEO thing. The ugly duckling teen who became a gorgeous Hollywood superstar, the mistreated star of movies who pioneered another medium to new heights, the lady with a soiled past who created this image of a General Foods goody goody image, in later life becoming this conservative when she had been liberal her entire life.

I dun't thin she ever WIGGED OUT, she was just incredibly ahead of her time, always restless there in that hick town, wanting more, wanting to become famous, she considered herself ugly so she especially wanted to prove them all wrong, and she constantly did things to shock people, to get attention. That's partly a LEO thing. The ugly duckling teen who became a gorgeous Hollywood superstar, the mistreated star of movies who pioneered another medium to new heights, the lady with a soiled past who created this image of a General Foods goody goody image, in later life becoming this conservative when she had been liberal her entire life.

For all the GOSSIP and SPECULATION here, there IS a TRUE STORY; everyone in this area knows it; not important anymore; all the 'parties' to it are passed on; leave it alone...

The GIRL CLEANED UP GOOD; CERTAINLY MADE GOOD ALL HER MISDEEDS; AND ACTUALLY LIVED THE CLEAN LIFE from what her childhood was....

Respectfully submitted, JK

For all the GOSSIP and SPECULATION here, there IS a TRUE STORY; everyone in this area knows it; not important anymore; all the 'parties' to it are passed on; leave it alone...

The GIRL CLEANED UP GOOD; CERTAINLY MADE GOOD ALL HER MISDEEDS; AND ACTUALLY LIVED THE CLEAN LIFE from what her childhood was....

So, it's YOU then i should be milking for information, what do you say we get together a week from Tuesday, dinner's on me. Jamestown Hilton, a booth in the back, see you there! And please don't take offence at my Jamestown/Hicktown comment, i meant compared to New York or Los Angeles, for HER.

Speaking of books,

1. I talked to Geoffrey Mark a couple years ago and a new and improved edition of his great "Lucy Book" was going to go to press, but didn't hear anything more.

2. I had a conversation with the woman who helped Lucy with "Love, Lucy" (her name escapes me at this very moment). She was well over 90 when I talked to her on the phone and I suspect she may no longer be with us. She told me that when she went back to Jamestown to do a little research, Lucy got cold feet about the book. Did not divulge what she found out, but this being 1962, many of lucy's contemporaries would have still been there.

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, but it seems to me there were two different reasons given for Lucy being laid up when she was in her late teens: the most oft-told reason was this rheumatoid arthritis. The other version is her being struck by a car---can't remember if she said that on a talk show or I read it in a movie magazine. This would lend credence to the theory that she had a child. If that's true, I certainly don't think any less of her.

Speaking of books,

1. I talked to Geoffrey Mark a couple years ago and a new and improved edition of his great "Lucy Book" was going to go to press, but didn't hear anything more.

2. I had a conversation with the woman who helped Lucy with "Love, Lucy" (her name escapes me at this very moment). She was well over 90 when I talked to her on the phone and I suspect she may no longer be with us. She told me that when she went back to Jamestown to do a little research, Lucy got cold feet about the book. Did not divulge what she found out, but this being 1962, many of lucy's contemporaries would have still been there.

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks on me, but it seems to me there were two different reasons given for Lucy being laid up when she was in her late teens: the most oft-told reason was this rheumatoid arthritis. The other version is her being struck by a car---can't remember if she said that on a talk show or I read it in a movie magazine. This would lend credence to the theory that she had a child. If that's true, I certainly don't think any less of her.

Well, neither do we. Is Mr Fidleman going to upgrade his Here's Lucy or Lucy show reviews? Or does he still think she never did anything worth watching AFTER I Love Lucy?

If the stories about the abortion are true(and I have a gut feeling that they are) then my heart breaks for her. It may explain why she later had so many miscarriages and also why she wanted children with Desi so badly. I remember readling in her book that her romance with Johnny "haunted me for many years". I think Claude is right about her having a "Daddy complex" at the time.

If the stories about the abortion are true(and I have a gut feeling that they are) then my heart breaks for her. It may explain why she later had so many miscarriages and also why she wanted children with Desi so badly. I remember readling in her book that her romance with Johnny "haunted me for many years". I think Claude is right about her having a "Daddy complex" at the time.

Strange. She married 2 men who were several years younger than her, but when she was younger she seemed to want older guys to care for her.

• Like 1

Another point -- if the arthritis story was a fib for whatever reason, it was a fib that did a lot of good. Look at the money and awareness she brought to the disease later in life, particularly her ongoing fundraising for the Orthopaedic Ward of the L.A. Children's Hospital.

• Like 1

Which she passed along to her own daughter, obviously.

• Like 2

Another point -- if the arthritis story was a fib for whatever reason, it was a fib that did a lot of good. Look at the money and awareness she brought to the disease later in life, particularly her ongoing fundraising for the Orthopaedic Ward of the L.A. Children's Hospital.

She did charity work her entire life, any cause, not to mention personal help for various people around her through the decades.

So, it's YOU then i should be milking for information, what do you say we get together a week from Tuesday, dinner's on me. Jamestown Hilton, a booth in the back, see you there! And please don't take offence at my Jamestown/Hicktown comment, i meant compared to New York or Los Angeles, for HER.

Even I don't know IT ALL; but, some of what I had heard OVER MANY YEARS, and, ignored as gossip; but, later verified, with others who knew things; and a comment I heard Lucie herself make, which shocked me completely, firmed up the earlier things I had heard and verified. I still don't care.

Enough said; BUT, the 'Hilton' has closed; choose another place, and I'll be there....

By the way: NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!!! This is a small town, where I've spent all but 13 months of my life; so, everyone knows everyone and everyone points and tells everyone else, whether they HAVE IT RIGHT, or NOT...

You can run; but, you can't hide like you can in the big cities you mention, or ANY other.

Mostly, I wonder how some folks eat out of their own mouths the crap that falls out!!!!

• Like 1

Even I don't know IT ALL; but, some of what I had heard OVER MANY YEARS, and, ignored as gossip; but, later verified, with others who knew things; and a comment I heard Lucie herself make, which shocked me completely, firmed up the earlier things I had heard and verified. I still don't care.

Enough said; BUT, the 'Hilton' has closed; choose another place, and I'll be there....

By the way: NO OFFENSE TAKEN!!!! This is a small town, where I've spent all but 13 months of my life; so, everyone knows everyone and everyone points and tells everyone else, whether they HAVE IT RIGHT, or NOT...

You can run; but, you can't hide like you can in the big cities you mention, or ANY other.

Mostly, I wonder how some folks eat out of their own mouths the crap that falls out!!!!

Could you tell us what you have verified? I don't think anyone here would think any less of her if we knew. I'd only like to know so I can better understand her.

Could you tell us what you have verified? I don't think anyone here would think any less of her if we knew. I'd only like to know so I can better understand her.

Good luck to you getting anything out of Joyce, I'd KILL to know what she knows and have told her a lot myself BUT i doubt she'd ever share any of it with us, espcially not me as she knows what a BIG MOUTH i have. But Joycee, i'd swear to you on my mom's soul that i would never repeat what you would tell me to anyone, listen, if you dun't care, maybe i wouldn't either. Please, it would be like my dying wish. :lucysmirk:

• Like 2

Good luck to you getting anything out of Joyce, I'd KILL to know what she knows and have told her a lot myself BUT i doubt she'd ever share any of it with us, espcially not me as she knows what a BIG MOUTH i have. But Joycee, i'd swear to you on my mom's soul that i would never repeat what you would tell me to anyone, listen, if you dun't care, maybe i wouldn't either. Please, it would be like my dying wish. :lucysmirk:

Ill keep trying :marionstrong: Id really like to know. I mean its no secret that Lucy had a difficult childhood. And I know Fred Ball once said that as a kid Lucy was full of hell.

Ill keep trying :marionstrong: Id really like to know. I mean its no secret that Lucy had a difficult childhood. And I know Fred Ball once said that as a kid Lucy was full of hell.

Well, what else was there to do in Jamestown but raise hell? :lucydisgust::lucythrill: Some of the oldters still telling Lucy stories today there remind me of the little old gossipy ladies on The Andy Griffith's show's Mayberry. What else have they got for entertainment?

Well, what else was there to do in Jamestown but raise hell? :lucydisgust::lucythrill: Some of the oldters still telling Lucy stories today there remind me of the little old gossipy ladies on The Andy Griffith's show's Mayberry. What else have they got for entertainment?

Some of it's envy im sure. Still, ive often wondered about those "murky" teen years. Thats one area of her life many who knew her seem unwilling to talk about in great detail. :lucyshock: Makes you wonder.

Some of it's envy im sure. Still, ive often wondered about those "murky" teen years. Thats one area of her life many who knew her seem unwilling to talk about in great detail. :lucyshock: Makes you wonder.

Well, like Joyce says, the great thing about that is that she was able to get over all of it, make amends and reach tremendous heights in spite of everything that had happened to her back then. Just like the hairstylist at MGM who dyed her hair RED the first time because he could see insde her and that her soul was on fire and she was no mousy brown personality. Same thing happened here, she wasn't meant to live in that place, she could never attain success there, she had to get the hell outta there and blossom into the great performer she turned out to be.