New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

• 2 weeks later...

Great cover, but TOM SHALES is doing the foreword?! He hates Lucy. They might have well have gotten Herbie to do it when he was alive.

Yes, great klooking cover and great book, for the most part, their comments suggest they share Tom Shales' views on Lucy though so it's a great fit.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anymore about the "Lucille Ball at 100" Life booklet? There are a lot of different release dates out there. One would think they would release it before her birthday.

OMG are you serious? How terrific, can't wait to see THAT! I'll be checking out the newsstands all over the place in August.

Has anyone heard anymore about the "Lucille Ball at 100" Life booklet? There are a lot of different release dates out there. One would think they would release it before her birthday.

Amazon.ca had the release pegged at last Tuesday but now has it marked on backorder. I have noticed several other websites have taken the listing off altogether, so I hope it hasn't been shovelled like Don Juan.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, haven't posted today as i went downtown in that heavy hurricane rain and wind and came back and the power went off for five hours so . . . finally, i'm back posting . . . i wonder why nobody has commented on either Nick Yapp's book or Cindy de la Hoz' either, hasn't anyone gotten these? Today, totally unexpectedly, i found the new revised edition DESILU book in paperback and bought it for under twenty dollars. I have to admit as much as i hate the Lucy bashing in there, it IS most assuredly the best Lucy book ever written about them. Very easy read indeed, have read half of it even though i had no lights, read it by flashlight. I put it next to my other favorite Lucy book, Jim Sheridan's LUCILLE BALL FAQ Frequently asked questions which makes a nice companion for it. I only remembered how it bashed Lucy but maybe they were trying to balance out the Desi bashing. AND,i love how they attacked the kids this time for their horrid ILL 50th anniversary special and how they foisted themselves on us, LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

AllThingsLucy_book.jpg

I can't WAIT to get this book! I read through all of the (many!) preview pages on Amazon and it looks SO fantastic!!! Elisabeth Edwards' books will always have a special place in my heart as the I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary book was the first Lucy book I ever got in Christmas 2001 when I was 13. :)

I can't WAIT to get this book! I read through all of the (many!) preview pages on Amazon and it looks SO fantastic!!! Elisabeth Edwards' books will always have a special place in my heart as the I Love Lucy 50th Anniversary book was the first Lucy book I ever got in Christmas 2001 when I was 13. :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! They are all so complete and profressional looking, i have all her books.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww! They are all so complete and profressional looking, i have all her books.

Me too! I've been fortunate enough to meet Elisabeth a couple times, and she is such a doll, which makes her books even nicer! The scrapbooks are my favorite. I've drooled over those more times than I can count! When I was in Washington DC last month I went to the Lucy exhibit in the Library of Congress, which is comprised almost entirely of pages from Lucy and Desi's scrapbooks. It's a small exhibit but what a thrill! I spent well over an hour in there reading every single word on every single page!

Me too! I've been fortunate enough to meet Elisabeth a couple times, and she is such a doll, which makes her books even nicer! The scrapbooks are my favorite. I've drooled over those more times than I can count! When I was in Washington DC last month I went to the Lucy exhibit in the Library of Congress, which is comprised almost entirely of pages from Lucy and Desi's scrapbooks. It's a small exhibit but what a thrill! I spent well over an hour in there reading every single word on every single page!

Oh lucky U, i wish i had seen that.

Has anyone written about the hard-cover trifle called "Lucille Ball Actress and Comedienne" by Deann Herringshaw? Small book, big print and space between lines would suggest it's meant for young people. The 112 pages includes a time line, 6 pages devoted to sources and a very odd glossary.....Here is a complete list of the words that the author feels need defining:

aorta, bit part, capitalism, commissary, Communist, contract player, elite ("People of the highest class or with the most power in a society"), living wage, negligence, pacify, pantomime, perfectionism, slapstick, unbridled and vivacious!

They left out flounce, dauncy and nut-cups.

The author states things we've read before but adds some editorial opinions and repeats misstated 'facts':

"Vivian Vance was 39, a year younger than Lucy."

"Mame was shot in soft focus and Ball came off looking ridiculous".

"Critics and audiences did not like "Stone Pillow".

About Lucie's first marriage: "Ball never seemed to get over Lucie's youthful mistakes and publicly mocked her early failures even decades later" (?!).

"During the power struggle between Arnaz and Oppenheimer, Ball may have tried to remain calm and positive, she often flew into tantrums at home and on the set."

"Gary Morton had never seen a SINGLE episode of I Love Lucy. Confident yet cool Morton was not intimidated by Hall's fame, fortune and brusque mannerisms."

I don't know under what rock Morton had been living but I think that if he never saw an episode it was only because he was so broke he didn't have a TV set.

• Like 1

Has anyone written about the hard-cover trifle called "Lucille Ball Actress and Comedienne" by Deann Herringshaw? Small book, big print and space between lines would suggest it's meant for young people. The 112 pages includes a time line, 6 pages devoted to sources and a very odd glossary.....Here is a complete list of the words that the author feels need defining:

aorta, bit part, capitalism, commissary, Communist, contract player, elite ("People of the highest class or with the most power in a society"), living wage, negligence, pacify, pantomime, perfectionism, slapstick, unbridled and vivacious!

They left out flounce, dauncy and nut-cups.

The author states things we've read before but adds some editorial opinions and repeats misstated 'facts':

"Vivian Vance was 39, a year younger than Lucy."

"Mame was shot in soft focus and Ball came off looking ridiculous".

"Critics and audiences did not like "Stone Pillow".

About Lucie's first marriage: "Ball never seemed to get over Lucie's youthful mistakes and publicly mocked her early failures even decades later" (?!).

"During the power struggle between Arnaz and Oppenheimer, Ball may have tried to remain calm and positive, she often flew into tantrums at home and on the set."

"Gary Morton had never seen a SINGLE episode of I Love Lucy. Confident yet cool Morton was not intimidated by Hall's fame, fortune and brusque mannerisms."

I don't know under what rock Morton had been living but I think that if he never saw an episode it was only because he was so broke he didn't have a TV set.

Well, after reading THAT, i won't be needing to waste any money on that friggin piece of shit. And i LOVE your last line about morty.