Mister Hepburn

New Lucy Books

Luvsbway    1,940
27 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I see that Love, Lucy and A Book are both getting audiobook releases on May 1. There is no information who is voicing either one. I'm very curious. 

https://www.brillianceaudio.com/product?i=37009

https://www.brillianceaudio.com/product?i=37010 

Well that's interesting. I know there are audio tapes of Lucy telling her book on tape. That's apparently what the woman who wrote it used. There are a few bits of them on the old scrapbook CD ROM.

As for Desi I came across an auction from years ago that included 10 audio tapes where he discussed his book, including many things not included in it.

HarryCarter    964
59 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

Well that's interesting. I know there are audio tapes of Lucy telling her book on tape. That's apparently what the woman who wrote it used. There are a few bits of them on the old scrapbook CD ROM.

As for Desi I came across an auction from years ago that included 10 audio tapes where he discussed his book, including many things not included in it.

The audiotapes of Lucy on the CD ROM are incredible and I wish we could hear more of them. Since this as listed as "unabridged version of the book," I assume it is not Lucy's own audio recordings.  

Luvsbway    1,940

I switched computers last year and I don't know if I can make it be 1996 again so I can play my CD ROM again.

HarryCarter    964
On March 22, 2018 at 6:18 PM, HarryCarter said:

I see that Love, Lucy and A Book are both getting audiobook releases on May 1. There is no information who is voicing either one. I'm very curious. 

https://www.brillianceaudio.com/product?i=37009

https://www.brillianceaudio.com/product?i=37010 

The release date has been moved to August. According to Lucie's social media, Juan Pablo do Pace (who dressed as Ricky Ricardo on Fuller House) will be reading A Book. 

• Like 1

Neil    1,278

I'll buy it!!!

I got out my book "Lucy: The Bitterweet Life of Lucille Ball", the first serious biography of Lucy (not counting that 50s paperback).  It's interesting because of when it was published:  1973, but obviously written in 1972,  so mid-way through HL's 5th season after the broken leg HL episodes but before "Mame" and the end of "Here's Lucy".     To put into context, Desi Jr. was not quite TWENTY and is currently going with Liza.  Lucie is not yet divorced but her marriage is "on the rocks".    Here are some passages:  parenthetical interjections are MINE.

On Lucie's 1971 wedding:  "Desi Jr. without trying stole the show, incredibly handsome in his tux and those on the scene recall he was a meticulous host.  Women at the party were "swooning" over him and everyone gossiped about he 18-year-old's current romance, a rumored on-again, off-again affair with the estranged wife of a "major major" figure in show business."  (Obviously Dean Martin.   It certainly wasn't Jack Benny or Richard Carlson!)

"Lucie could have a big career if she wanted one.  But unlike her brother, a career on her own wouldn't come easily.  In the opinion of a top producer "Lucie is personable and has a certain sparkle, but nobody's going to beat down doors for her services.  It's Desi who has so much style and charisma that even if he didn't want a career in show business, it would be inevitable."   (Interesting because at the time, Desi Jr. WAS hot.  His performance in "Red Sky in the Morning" was praised.  But he had been brought up privileged and didn't want or need to work hard.  And of course, he descended into the Studio 54-like party scene...and Liza.  In spite of how it looked in 1972, Lucie indeed became the star and Desi wasted his good years and eventually went to seed.) 

"About Here's Lucy", a top writers says "The Lucy character is really an ingenue, and Lucille is getting away with it.  As you know it is completely acting.  The Lucy she plays in the Lucy show has nothing to do with Lucille Ball.  In most cases television is an Xray and you can't exist very long unless you're playing yourself.  She's done it."

"Gary described her ordeal in the hospital (after broken leg) "It was like a scene from MASH.  That place was really very nice.  Next year we'll go back so Lucy can break the other leg" LUCY FORCED A SMILE. "    -----(my caps: that's what I call REAL ACTING)

"A famous actress who has work with Lucy claims that "Lucy has had her face lifted, but everybody should look that good after one.  I've seen a lot of those women who've had their faces lifted, but their bodies look like they have to be carried in and out of the car.  Lucy's got a good body.  She's always tuned up.  I've never seen her get sloppy fat.  She's always kept herself in good shape. " ---(so DID SHE?  or DIDN'T SHE?---have that face life?)

"It's clear that "Here's Lucy" will continue as long as Lucy wants it to, which appears to be indefinitely "

"Lucille Ball, at sixty-one, is still a striking-looking woman on the television screen.  But there are virtually no close-ups on her show."

"Will Lucille make any more films?  She is scheduled to begin Mame in January 1973.  She's certainly perfect for the role and despite the problems of make-up, lighting and now her broken leg, she is definitely going ahead with it."

The book ends with:  "Will Lucille Ball ever retire?  She's answered that question herself: "Yes. When I drop in my tracks."

Luvsbway    1,940

I think the eye clip was the only plastic surgery. I think the proof is that if she had one she would have gotten rid of the contraption as it pained her. It's like why wear glasses if the lasic worked.

Sloppy fat? As opposed to well planned porking up?

Oh more Jeannie affair stuff in print. I just can't even think how those 2 thought their was nothing wrong with that arrangement. And Lucy's reaction to it seemed pure unrashional Lucy. I wonder Gary had to talk her down from taking things over the top. Probably just happy she wasn't yelling at him.

HarryCarter    964
On June 6, 2018 at 7:27 PM, HarryCarter said:

Love, Lucy will be released on audiobook on August 18... and voiced by Lucie! 😃

Lucie voices Love, Lucy:

• Like 3

MaryJaneFan    7

I was able to get Love, Lucy on CD from Barnes & Noble, but I haven't found A Book on CD yet (only CD-MP3).  Any recommendations on where to purchase A Book?