New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

• 2 weeks later...

Elisabeth Edwards will be promoting her latest (terrific!) book in New Jersey on Friday:

Celebrate all things Lucy with author

At 7 tonight (Oct. 7) author Elisabeth Edwards will be at the Toms River branch of the Ocean County Library promoting her new book “I Love Lucy: A Celebration of all Things Lucy – Inside the World of Television’s First Great Sitcom.”

Edwards’ book, according to a press release, “brings to life the world of the show and its impact” on our culture. Included are “rare backstage photos and images from the star’s personal collections,” trivia, character biographies, fashion, music and recipes from the show. Ball’s comments on her favorite episodes from unpublished material also are featured.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/B3/20111006/NJENT02/310060004/Celebrate-Lucille-Ball-s-life-3-different-ways

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm late to the party, but my Elisabeth Edwards book just came in the mail today. I've only had the chance to thumb through it and I'm going to a Halloween party tonight so I won't have time to sit down and read it cover to cover until tomorrow, but it looks absolutely FABULOUS! I'm drooling! :D

I know I'm late to the party, but my Elisabeth Edwards book just came in the mail today. I've only had the chance to thumb through it and I'm going to a Halloween party tonight so I won't have time to sit down and read it cover to cover until tomorrow, but it looks absolutely FABULOUS! I'm drooling! :D

I know, saw it at the main bookstore downtown last Sunday, the revised edition looks fantastic.

• 4 weeks later...

Coyne Steven Sanders is signing copies of Desilu in Grand Forks, North Dakota this Friday:

- Saarens Productions at Wild Rose Theatre and Fleur de Lis Gallery, 501 Bemidji Ave., will feature new works by local and regional artists with an artist reception from 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. Special guest Coyne Steven Sanders, author of “Desilu: The Story of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz,” will sign books with a question-and-answer session from 6 to 7 p.m. Info: (218) 556-1777.

Coyne Steven Sanders is signing copies of Desilu in Grand Forks, North Dakota this Friday:

Oh man, that's semi-close to where I live. It would only take me 8 hours to drive there! Why Grand Forks, North Dakota, of all places? The closest Lucy people have actually come to my state and they go to North Frickin' Dakota instead. Outrageous! :lucysmirk:

Oh man, that's semi-close to where I live. It would only take me 8 hours to drive there! Why Grand Forks, North Dakota, of all places? The closest Lucy people have actually come to my state and they go to North Frickin' Dakota instead. Outrageous! :lucysmirk:

Never been to Grand Forks? Don't pull out the KNIVES to talk against it, you and I could SPOON over there, it's such a cultural mecca. They still think I Love Lucy's a new show over there.

Never been to Grand Forks? Don't pull out the KNIVES to talk against it, you and I could SPOON over there, it's such a cultural mecca. They still think I Love Lucy's a new show over there.

Well that's just it. I was born in North Dakota so I shouldn't say anything against it, but the people who live there are all about farming, ranching, and rodeos. I'm surprised they'd even know who Lucy is. lol

Well that's just it. I was born in North Dakota so I shouldn't say anything against it, but the people who live there are all about farming, ranching, and rodeos. I'm surprised they'd even know who Lucy is. lol

But that's where she got her most ardent fans, they had nothing else going on there but Lucy on TV.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone gave me the Nick Yapp book for Christmas. If there has been some discussion about this book I've missed it. The pictures are phenomenal---from the Getty collection. Most of them I'm seeing for the first time. So that part of it is great and well worth getting.

But...

I don't know why Yapp and publisher didn't run his captions and facts by one of us, because the book is marred by inaccurate text and timelines. For instance, he references a shot from "The Practice" as "Here's Lucy"; riding an elephant for what I assume is a SHARE program in the 70s as a still from her "Greatest Show.." appearance in 1964; a photo with an exact calendar date in 1968 of Lucille in London mentions this photo was taken after the Lucy Show episode "Lucy Flies to London" and states "CBS wanted her to do a follow up special in London." and this odd tag: "It has not aged well."---to which I wanted to add, "Nick, shut your Yapp"...The actual text is minimal and there's an overall negative tone, especially about her later career. He makes statements of conjecture that appear as facts. There's a sentence about the heyday of I Love Lucy that states something like "Lucy rarely gave credit to her support crew and writers. She left that to Desi"

Someone gave me the Nick Yapp book for Christmas. If there has been some discussion about this book I've missed it. The pictures are phenomenal---from the Getty collection. Most of them I'm seeing for the first time. So that part of it is great and well worth getting.

But...

I don't know why Yapp and publisher didn't run his captions and facts by one of us, because the book is marred by inaccurate text and timelines. For instance, he references a shot from "The Practice" as "Here's Lucy"; riding an elephant for what I assume is a SHARE program in the 70s as a still from her "Greatest Show.." appearance in 1964; a photo with an exact calendar date in 1968 of Lucille in London mentions this photo was taken after the Lucy Show episode "Lucy Flies to London" and states "CBS wanted her to do a follow up special in London." and this odd tag: "It has not aged well."---to which I wanted to add, "Nick, shut your Yapp"...The actual text is minimal and there's an overall negative tone, especially about her later career. He makes statements of conjecture that appear as facts. There's a sentence about the heyday of I Love Lucy that states something like "Lucy rarely gave credit to her support crew and writers. She left that to Desi"

I had that book ordered and never got it and now i'm glad i did not, thanks for the review, he can stick it up his dumbass.

• Like 1

Don't deprive yourself of the incredible photos! lol

I have that book as well. I love the pics, but like Neil said that dude needs to shut his Yapp. I hated to read the inaccuracies on dates and the like. It made Lucy sound like a huge bitch to everyone, even her kids when they were on "Here's Lucy." Where the hell did he get his 'facts'? :lucydisgust:

• Like 1

I got the Nick Yapp book for Christmas. Even without the myriad of weird and inexcusable inaccuracies, the overall tone of the text is very bizarre! The pictures, however, are INCREDIBLE - most if them I'd never seen before. The next time I actually read the text in this book, it'll have to be after several cocktails, but the pictures alone definitely make this book worth having!

• Like 1

I got the Nick Yapp book for Christmas. Even without the myriad of weird and inexcusable inaccuracies, the overall tone of the text is very bizarre! The pictures, however, are INCREDIBLE - most if them I'd never seen before. The next time I actually read the text in this book, it'll have to be after several cocktails, but the pictures alone definitely make this book worth having!

I'll betcha Lucie did the foreword and most of his inaccurate quotes come from little herbie kenwith and moron thompson.