New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

True, and make allowances for the angry old men who did not like being told what to do by a mere WOMAN, and the jealous guest stars and the people who wanted to share her wealth and popularity but did not have her talent and what most of the insiders are saying is to get into print and remembering things from so many decades ago too. Everybody remmebers things differently. AND old lies and fabrications keep being repeated as fact.

I know, I know! I've seen some disgusting information on Lucy that you know that just isn't true or just said out of spite or rude-ness. It's disgusting honestly.

I know, I know! I've seen some disgusting information on Lucy that you know that just isn't true or just said out of spite or rude-ness. It's disgusting honestly.

I heard she once had an affair with Gale Gordon. Peter Marshall was her boy toy before gary. She so did not want to work with Bette Davis that she was the one who tripped her in her home to stop her from doing the show. :lucythrill::lucydisgust: :lucydisgust: :lucydisgust:

I heard she once had an affair with Gale Gordon. Peter Marshall was her boy toy befire gary. She so did not want to work with Bette Davis that she was the one who tripped her in her home to stop her from doing the show. :lucythrill::lucydisgust: :lucydisgust: :lucydisgust:

Oh wow. Lucy and Uncle Harry getting it on? No way, Jose.

I read somewhere once that one of Lucy's conditions of the sale was that the Desilu name remain, but it didn't take long for the Desilu product to be re-christened Paramount--a Gulf and Western Company including The Lucy Show.

I do not know if Desilu still had studios other than the one that shared the block with Paramount. At one time they had the Culver City lot and one on Cahuenga. $17Mil in 1967 equals $116Mil in today's dollars. Was this a good deal for Lucy and Desilu stockholders? If that included three facilities, I don't think so. I wonder how much of the sale was riding on the success of "The Lucy Show". At the time, it would seem to be the most valuable Desilu asset. ("Mannix" did not debut until the fall of 67 which was after the sale. It ran longer than any other Desilu series) You'd think Lucy would have retained the rights to TLS as part of the deal. I wonder if the morning rerun sale to CBS, which began in the fall of 1968 was a done deal before the sale. I don't think anybody could have predicted the success of the other series; and that two of them would be such post-network successes. "Mission Impossible" was an Emmy winner but did not crack the top 30 until its 3rd season: 68-69 and would be a bonanza much later as a movie franchise. And then there was the "Untouchables" movie which I think did quite well, but it was "Star Trek" that was the real surprise. At the time it was still limping along in the ratings, but for a three season show it probably did better in syndication than any other--certainly better than the NBC run...and then there was the movie franchise for that in the future.

In retrospect, Lucy probably should have waited. After years of "Lucy" being the sole Desilu-owned series on the networks, all of a sudden it had three others, all hour shows. Desilu had not had a non-Lucy hit since "Untouchables".

Other than those cheesy Milton Bradley commercials, I'm not aware of any product put out by LBP other than Here's Lucy. The only MB commercial I remember seeing was Pivot Pool in which Lucy entered a "pool hall", which was the HL office set that they did little to disguise. I don't think PP caught on. It looked like something that was so cheaply made that the parts would break. "If it hasn't got a pivot, it isn't PIVOT POOL...by Milton-Bradley" said Lucy at the close of the commercial...which is sort of an odd declaration, I think.

Sanders/Gilbert tome, Desilu, at page 295, 6: 'close of 1966, rumors of buy-out; January 1967, confirmation of serious negotiations; first week, February 1967, news that negotiations between Rudin, Holly & Paramount parent company, G & W's, Bluhdorn, successfully proceeding;

February 15, 1967, brought the announcement of the sale of Desilu Studios to G & W Industries, Inc., the new owners of Paramount Pictures since October 1966 - $17 million, stock exchange deal....'

p. 297: 'a display of corporate unity effected on 7/26/67, when Lucille and Bluhdorn cut the ribbon between Desilu-Gower & Paramount Studios lots...'

...that sufficient, Claude? If not, I shall search further.

Wow, you sure pinpointed it all right, what time of day was it? Was Lucy smoking? No, seriously, when did Lucy and Charles Bluhdorn cut that ribbon and tear down the fence that seperated Desilu from Paramount? Lucy had her Yours mine and ours "LOOK" on as i recall from the pictures. Lucy said of the new owner, he talks fast, lives fast, just hope he lives, he didn't, died in a plane crash i think, or maybe it was a heart attack, when?

Look up above - the date of 7/26 WAS THE DATE OF THE RIBBON-CUTTING, according to that page in Desilu book....

Regarding the Lucille Ball Productions', I lucked out, sort of:

Here are the appropriate programs under that Production company:

Post 2/15/67:

Life with Lucy: (1986) ... 14 episodes Production Company

Sentimental Journey (1984) (TV) ... Production Company

All the Right Moves (1983) ... Production Company

Bungle Abbey (1981) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Moves to NBC (1980) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Calls the President (1977) (TV) ... Production Company

What Now, Catherine Curtis? (1976) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucille Ball Special Starring Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason (1975) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Gets Lucky (1975) (TV) ... Production Company

Happy Anniversary and Goodbye (1974) (TV) ... Production Company

"Here's Lucy 1968-1974 all episodes

The above is an IMDb informational.... Anyone with differing items, please have at it; I care.... Love, JK

Look up above - the date of 7/26 WAS THE DATE OF THE RIBBON-CUTTING, according to that page in Desilu book....

Regarding the Lucille Ball Productions', I lucked out, sort of:

Here are the appropriate programs under that Production company:

Post 2/15/67:

Life with Lucy: (1986) ... 14 episodes Production Company

Sentimental Journey (1984) (TV) ... Production Company

All the Right Moves (1983) ... Production Company

Bungle Abbey (1981) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Moves to NBC (1980) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Calls the President (1977) (TV) ... Production Company

What Now, Catherine Curtis? (1976) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucille Ball Special Starring Lucille Ball and Jackie Gleason (1975) (TV) ... Production Company

Lucy Gets Lucky (1975) (TV) ... Production Company

Happy Anniversary and Goodbye (1974) (TV) ... Production Company

"Here's Lucy 1968-1974 all episodes

The above is an IMDb informational.... Anyone with differing items, please have at it; I care.... Love, JK

14 eps for LWL, i thought it was only 13.

I read somewhere once that one of Lucy's conditions of the sale was that the Desilu name remain, but it didn't take long for the Desilu product to be re-christened Paramount--a Gulf and Western Company including The Lucy Show.

I do not know if Desilu still had studios other than the one that shared the block with Paramount. At one time they had the Culver City lot and one on Cahuenga. $17Mil in 1967 equals $116Mil in today's dollars. Was this a good deal for Lucy and Desilu stockholders? If that included three facilities, I don't think so. I wonder how much of the sale was riding on the success of "The Lucy Show". At the time, it would seem to be the most valuable Desilu asset. ("Mannix" did not debut until the fall of 67 which was after the sale. It ran longer than any other Desilu series) You'd think Lucy would have retained the rights to TLS as part of the deal. I wonder if the morning rerun sale to CBS, which began in the fall of 1968 was a done deal before the sale. I don't think anybody could have predicted the success of the other series; and that two of them would be such post-network successes. "Mission Impossible" was an Emmy winner but did not crack the top 30 until its 3rd season: 68-69 and would be a bonanza much later as a movie franchise. And then there was the "Untouchables" movie which I think did quite well, but it was "Star Trek" that was the real surprise. At the time it was still limping along in the ratings, but for a three season show it probably did better in syndication than any other--certainly better than the NBC run...and then there was the movie franchise for that in the future.

In retrospect, Lucy probably should have waited. After years of "Lucy" being the sole Desilu-owned series on the networks, all of a sudden it had three others, all hour shows. Desilu had not had a non-Lucy hit since "Untouchables".

Other than those cheesy Milton Bradley commercials, I'm not aware of any product put out by LBP other than Here's Lucy. The only MB commercial I remember seeing was Pivot Pool in which Lucy entered a "pool hall", which was the HL office set that they did little to disguise. I don't think PP caught on. It looked like something that was so cheaply made that the parts would break. "If it hasn't got a pivot, it isn't PIVOT POOL...by Milton-Bradley" said Lucy at the close of the commercial...which is sort of an odd declaration, I think.

I might be wrong but i dun't thin she wanted the Desilu name to survive as much as she wanted some of the old staff to keep their jobs with the new Paramount, which did not happen as much as she would have wanted and those people kept calling her telling her they were now out of a job. AND yes, she should have waited to sell, as the profits from Yours mine and ours that went to Paramount also took off a few million from their purchase price. Another note is that if Lucy had held on to that stock, it split quite a few times, she would have had closer to fifty million at the end. Another thin, Pivot Pool did turn out great for her,she made about a million dollars in one year according to Howard Rafayel's book.

It's all about EXPECTATIONS with me, if i hear a book, movie or tv show is the geatest thing ever, i will invariably be disapointed asi then expect too much. If i expect nothing, then i like it more. So, i just reread I Had A Ball by Lucy's second biggest fan, Michael Stern. Boy, was i ever wrong, it's a very good book, lots of name dropping and we get to be at every Lucy tribute and occasion towards the end of her life. I initialy expected too much, wanted gossip and insider dish and we get none of that here, lots of great photos though and we get an inside peek at what it was klike for Lucy at the end of her life, not even that, we start when she's doing Here's Lucy and is still the Queen of Comedy, First Lady of Television and so on, sorry i was so hard on this book, on second reading, it was really quite entertaining.

So, i'm reading this Liza Minnelli bio, i go to the dating Desi jr part and Lucy did something that surprised me. Remember me saying that coming back from commercial one time on the Mike Douglas show, she told Mike that it was different out in L A , you were nobody until you did movies, television was second string to people there. So, apparently, Liza wanted Desi jr to appear on a tv special she was doing and it was Lucy who vetoed it, saying he was in movies now and he shouldn't do tv as it might jeopardize his status in films. It was when he left Here's Lucy and started doing movies.

So, i'm reading this Liza Minnelli bio, i go to the dating Desi jr part and Lucy did something that surprised me. Remember me saying that coming back from commercial one time on the Mike Douglas show, she told Mike that it was different out in L A , you were nobody until you did movies, television was second string to people there. So, apparently, Liza wanted Desi jr to appear on a tv special she was doing and it was Lucy who vetoed it, saying he was in movies now and he shouldn't do tv as it might jeopardize his status in films. It was when he left Here's Lucy and started doing movies.

I highly doubt Lucy could have vetoed anything a man in his mid-20s felt like doing.

I highly doubt Lucy could have vetoed anything a man in his mid-20s felt like doing.

Well, Lucy knew the business and Liza said she vetoed it. Remember that this is the woman who had no idea, according to Lee Tannen, what the heck they were doing in her guesthouse all day, every day, alone in there, and never coming out, LOL! :lucythrill:

Desi was doing just as much work in television during his "movie period." I highly doubt this. It's like when people claim Lucy prevented Lucie from playing Rizzo in Grease. Lucy wasn't interfering in her kids' careers. What is the name of this Liza book?

Desi was doing just as much work in television during his "movie period." I highly doubt this. It's like when people claim Lucy prevented Lucie from playing Rizzo in Grease. Lucy wasn't interfering in her kids' careers. What is the name of this Liza book?

Hey, i'm just happy to hear you guys think Liza is totally wrong here. I actually agree with you both. Liza with a Z by Michael Freedland. It's not like Liza could be wrong about anything, look at the great spouses she's chosen over the years.