New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

:lucyshock: Makes you wonder.

Actually, N O . I'm not sure but i think Joyce has told me some things already and i have never repeated any of them to anyone as she told it as facts, not gossip, so they weren't all that salacious at all, and i wasn't all that interested in what she may or may not have done eight decades ago. I think i've always been more interested in the why and how it affected her than the details, sordid though they may be. And of course, none of it changes the opinion i have of her and how much i resepect that she was jut a kid, learning and making mistakes like we all do.

Actually, N O . I'm not sure but i think Joyce has told me some things already and i have never repeated any of them to anyone as she told it as facts, not gossip, so they weren't all that salacious at all, and i wasn't all that interested in what she may or may not have done eight decades ago. I think i've always been more interested in the why and how it affected her than the details, sordid though they may be. And of coure, none of it changes the opinion i have of her and how much i resepect that she was jut a kid, learning and making mistakes like we all do.

I think we can surmise from Joyce's statements that Lucy probably did have something like an abortion. Or murdered somebody. :marionstrong:

Actually, N O . I'm not sure but i think Joyce has told me some things already and i have never repeated any of them to anyone as she told it as facts, not gossip, so they weren't all that salacious at all, and i wasn't all that interested in what she may or may not have done eight decades ago. I think i've always been more interested in the why and how it affected her than the details, sordid though they may be. And of coure, none of it changes the opinion i have of her and how much i resepect that she was jut a kid, learning and making mistakes like we all do.

Well thats why I would like to know. Id like to know how it may have affected her. In her book she really does seem lonely and longing for attention throughout her childhood. Its easy to see why she became an actress. Then she could be the "center of attention".

Thank you very much! That's very flattering. I'm glad it's in such good company. ;)

No problem at all! Thanks for being a part of such an amazing book and bringing it to us fans! The FAQ are so accurate and interesting. Only boo boo I saw was referring to what would've been Lucy and Desi's wedding anniversary in 1986. You said 36 when it would have been 46. But that is one number out of more than 400 pages of accuracy!

No problem at all! Thanks for being a part of such an amazing book and bringing it to us fans! The FAQ are so accurate and interesting. Only boo boo I saw was referring to what would've been Lucy and Desi's wedding anniversary in 1986. You said 36 when it would have been 46. But that is one number out of more than 400 pages of accuracy!

Thank you for letting me know!

Thank you for letting me know!

I first read that as THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME NOW, LOL! I never noticed that, but it doesn't matter, the book offers what we want most in a Lucy book, NEW information, thorough details, a wealth of never before stated facts about what happened when and why, just what the average Lucy fan craves.

• 2 weeks later...

This book is not new and I don't know if it's been discussed here.

Writer Charles Higham's memoirs "In and Out of Hollywood" including as unflattering passage about Lucy during a "Mame" interview.

It's hard to believe this guy would just make stuff up, but it's equally hard to believe that Lucy would refer to Desi Jr as a "faggot" and tell a writer who was there to interview her for an article that would be printed, that Desi and Dino Martin were sleeping together!

I never read his interview but Lucy wrote him a note saying "How could someone so young be so cruel?"

When did the press turn against Lucy like this? Just a few years earlier she had them eating out of her hand. I think it's a combination of the press corps not being so Hollywood friendly and writing 'edgier' than the old guard. They used to praise Lucy's frank demeanor but this group portrays her as crabby or "choleric" as one put it.

I think the turning point was the Desi-Patty Duke affair. Most articles written about that portray Lucy badly because she wasn't welcoming to Patty. But my God!! Who could blame her? Not only was Patty in her wigged-out drug-hazed period, she was 24 and Lucy's son was only 17, which qualifies as statuatory rape now and I'm assuming it did then, no matter how mature and sophisticated Desi may have seemed.

Another point -- if the arthritis story was a fib for whatever reason, it was a fib that did a lot of good. Look at the money and awareness she brought to the disease later in life, particularly her ongoing fundraising for the Orthopaedic Ward of the L.A. Children's Hospital.

Granted this is a very worthy cause, but if the (alleged) pregnancy story had come up just think of all the money that may have been raised for Beauregard Burnside Home for Fallen Angels.