New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Oh really? That's disapointing, i hate it when i can spot fifty errors that are so glaring in a Lucy book, supposedy written by someone who's SUPPOSED to know their subject.

Yeah, some of the things he puts in there you wouldn't think an admirer of Lucy would say, or that they would know better. Really disappointing text-wise.

GdXs.jpg

I really enjoyed the Gregory book. It's a formal biography, but it is a nice refreshing change of pace that has a lot of background details on Here's Lucy, Mame and other details from that time period that I haven't read elsewhere. A lot of time is given over for people like Lucie and Gale to talk about her as well, so it provides a number of unique perspectives.

GdXs.jpg

I really enjoyed the Gregory book. It's a formal biography, but it is a nice refreshing change of pace that has a lot of background details on Here's Lucy, Mame and other details from that time period that I haven't read elsewhere. A lot of time is given over for people like Lucie and Gale to talk about her as well, so it provides a number of unique perspectives.

Ok, well, not going there, i do remember seeing that book on e bay or somewhere though. Will definitely look for it soon.

The Charles Higham book was released in 1986. The paperback book that was the result of an on-set Mame interview was James Gregory's "The Lucille Ball Story," a book far superior to Higham's.

Harry: What do you think of Brady book? What about Kanfer? I also don't 'hear' you commenting on Brochu, Stern and Tannen? I truly would LOVE to hear your comments; if it has to be: IM me....thanks, and loving you, JK

Harry: What do you think of Brady book? What about Kanfer? I also don't 'hear' you commenting on Brochu, Stern and Tannen? I truly would LOVE to hear your comments; if it has to be: IM me....thanks, and loving you, JK

The Brady book is very well researched and pretty well balanced. I wish she didn't include the more than questionable topless picture.

Kanfer's Ball of Fire I'm not too big a fan of. It's clear that he's not a Lucy fan. He's a professional biography writer. I don't remember reading anything in this book that I didn't hear before. There are a lot of obvious mistakes in the book that someone really familiar with Lucy would catch. Although, having written a book, no matter how many times you re-read it before it's published, there will be mistakes that slip through. It's aggravating.

Jim Brochu's book is the one Lucy book I do not own. I've read it, though. There was so much "controversy" surrounding the book that I never bought it.

I really enjoyed Michael Stern's. I love tales of people who meet their idols and it turns out great. I felt like I was there when I read it.

I liked Lee Tannen's I Loved Lucy. I thought it was very lovingly done and presented a Lucy we rarely hear about.

• Like 1

The Brady book is very well researched and pretty well balanced. I wish she didn't include the more than questionable topless picture.

Kanfer's Ball of Fire I'm not too big a fan of. It's clear that he's not a Lucy fan. He's a professional biography writer. I don't remember reading anything in this book that I didn't hear before. There are a lot of obvious mistakes in the book that someone really familiar with Lucy would catch. Although, having written a book, no matter how many times you re-read it before it's published, there will be mistakes that slip through. It's aggravating.

Jim Brochu's book is the one Lucy book I do not own. I've read it, though. There was so much "controversy" surrounding the book that I never bought it.

I really enjoyed Michael Stern's. I love tales of people who meet their idols and it turns out great. I felt like I was there when I read it.

I liked Lee Tannen's I Loved Lucy. I thought it was very lovingly done and presented a Lucy we rarely hear about.

I have Brochu's book but I've only read it once, maybe twice, tops. Lee Tannen's book, however, is one of my favorites and that I've read at least 10 (probably more) times. I also agree with your comments about Ball of Fire. I didn't even buy it when it came out because of all the lackluster reviews by genuine Lucy fans. Someone gave it to me as a gift about 5 years ago, though, so I read it then. Snoozefest overall and definitely nothing to write home about!

I have Brochu's book but I've only read it once, maybe twice, tops. Lee Tannen's book, however, is one of my favorites and that I've read at least 10 (probably more) times. I also agree with your comments about Ball of Fire. I didn't even buy it when it came out because of all the lackluster reviews by genuine Lucy fans. Someone gave it to me as a gift about 5 years ago, though, so I read it then. Snoozefest overall and definitely nothing to write home about!

Isn't that funny, i feel the exact same way about the Brochu and Tannen books, i gave away the Brochu book to Joyce and i reread the Tannen book all the time. Especially the part of their estrangement and make up.

Thanks, Harry: Truly appreciate your candor... what was the controversy surrounding Brochu's; I was not into the Lucille 'game' at that time; and I have read it, thanks to Claude. JK

I like the Brady book except the topless pic because it was interesting and had new stories. I found it great. I did not like Jim Brochu's story it didn't seem all that but Tannen's was good. I enjoy Desilu for its in-depth look at post-Lucy and Bart Andrews was my first and still one of my favorites. I love Loving Lucy. That has so many rare pics and information. I will have to check out Geogray's and Stern's. I didn't like Marilyn's; it wasn't as deep and personal as it could have been. I think I read Higman and didn't keep it. Ball of Fire was so horrible I didn't finish it. I love Laugh With Lucy by Joel Cohan from 1974 for a period piece with great unique stories.

Thanks, Harry: Truly appreciate your candor... what was the controversy surrounding Brochu's; I was not into the Lucille 'game' at that time; and I have read it, thanks to Claude. JK

He played backgammon with her while he was writing his book based on the stories she was confiding in him and Lucie did not like his coming out and having a bit part in that movie she disliked so much, Lucy and Desi, before the laughter. I don't see what the big controversy was, just another leech feeding on Lucy while she was alive.

He played backgammon with her while he was writing his book based on the stories she was confiding in him and Lucie did not like his coming out and having a bit part in that movie she disliked so much, Lucy and Desi, before the laughter. I don't see what the big controversy was, just another leech feeding on Lucy while she was alive.

Brochu and Tannen's books seems almost identical to me, but it's been a while since I read Brochu's.

Brochu took a lot of flack because it came out so soon after her death, but was that really such a crime?

Both were a bit self-aggrandizing, I thought. Both made her double over with laughter with so-so quips.

Tannen's explanation of his outburst that caused their rift seemed like he was trying to justify himself. The story, as I recall, didn't really make a lot of sense.

Brochu and Tannen's books seems almost identical to me, but it's been a while since I read Brochu's.

Brochu took a lot of flack because it came out so soon after her death, but was that really such a crime?

Both were a bit self-aggrandizing, I thought. Both made her double over with laughter with so-so quips.

Tannen's explanation of his outburst that caused their rift seemed like he was trying to justify himself. The story, as I recall, didn't really make a lot of sense.

How did it not make sense, he's gay, he likes everything in it's place, Paula rearranged everything while staying at his home and then she sent a roomful of furniture to be stored there with no end in sight and he got fed up with it, especially after his boyfriend hurt his back moving that damned crap. And i think because he had helped Lucy through a health episode the night before, he felt he could blow up at Paula in Lucy's company and not suffer any consequences. I'm really anxious to hear Paula's version of this same story. I think Lee's book covers over ten years while Jim's only covers one year, that's the main difference. No, coming out with a Lucy book a year later is NOT a crime, but getting Lucy's stories which were HERS to tell was bad form. I seem to recall that Lucy had been given an advance to writer her own book and would have done so only to be scooped by Jim's recollections of her own stories, not very fair to me. As for the quips, i agree, but remember they were making the Queen of Comedy crack up which just had to inflate their respective egos.

This book is not new and I don't know if it's been discussed here.

Writer Charles Higham's memoirs "In and Out of Hollywood" including as unflattering passage about Lucy during a "Mame" interview.

It's hard to believe this guy would just make stuff up, but it's equally hard to believe that Lucy would refer to Desi Jr as a "faggot" and tell a writer who was there to interview her for an article that would be printed, that Desi and Dino Martin were sleeping together!

I never read his interview but Lucy wrote him a note saying "How could someone so young be so cruel?"

When did the press turn against Lucy like this? Just a few years earlier she had them eating out of her hand. I think it's a combination of the press corps not being so Hollywood friendly and writing 'edgier' than the old guard. They used to praise Lucy's frank demeanor but this group portrays her as crabby or "choleric" as one put it.

I think the turning point was the Desi-Patty Duke affair. Most articles written about that portray Lucy badly because she wasn't welcoming to Patty. But my God!! Who could blame her? Not only was Patty in her wigged-out drug-hazed period, she was 24 and Lucy's son was only 17, which qualifies as statuatory rape now and I'm assuming it did then, no matter how mature and sophisticated Desi may have seemed.

Charles Higham was the guy who claimed Errol Flynn was a Nazi spy, that the root of the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford feud was that Crawford was sexually aggressive toward Bette, and his topper that Cary Grant all but propositioned him once (if you've ever seen a picture of Higham it's hard to believe that anyone propositioned him, much less a still handsome star who could have had his choice.) So yes I definitely believe he made that up!! Beyond the fact that no one else has ever claimed that rumor, (1) Lucy would never be so stupid as to bring it up with a "journalist" and (2) even Anita Bryant wouldn't be so stupid as to use the word "faggot" when talking to an obviously gay writer.

Having said that, Higham's Lucy book was not bad, just not that great. He was good on a few things like noting a lot of the resentment Lucy had from famous coworkers (this was before the Burton story broke) was because most of them were lazy and refused to take tv work seriously. He seemed rather sympathetic to her in the book however he could have changed his stance once it was published and it was clear she wasn't flattered with it.

I agree with you re the Patty Duke thing, those writers really owed Lucy an apology when it was later clear that almost nothing they were reporting was fact.

I agree with your comments completely. I don't see what the big deal was about the Brochu book and find it curious that Lucie would write an endorsement for the back of the Tannen book given her apparent displeasure with Brochu's. Lucie seems to have changed her tune about Tannen too though, didn't she criticize Tannen recently for writing a play about his friendship with Lucy?

I guess I'm in the minority here but I much preferred Brochu's book. It's also better written IMO but that's probably because Brochu is a writer/playwright but he also seemed to know a lot more about Lucy's career than Tannen who seemed to be all just I Love Lucy and Mame. Brochu got Lucy to tell him a lot of stories about famous people that Tannen might not have been interested in. And it wasn't all about him like the Tannen book. The story about the dying young fan visiting Lucy is very poignant and Lucy's story about her 1930's dates with Cesar Romero and her confusion about them not going anywhere is also a lovely little bittersweet tale, discreet (Romero was still living) but unmistakable. And don't forget the gem of a Yvonne De Carlo story! I got tired of all the "ideas" Tannen had for Lucy too as if she needed him for a manager, Brochu seemed much more content to enjoy her company and let Lucy lead.

• Like 1

This book is not new and I don't know if it's been discussed here.

Writer Charles Higham's memoirs "In and Out of Hollywood" including as unflattering passage about Lucy during a "Mame" interview.

It's hard to believe this guy would just make stuff up, but it's equally hard to believe that Lucy would refer to Desi Jr as a "faggot" and tell a writer who was there to interview her for an article that would be printed, that Desi and Dino Martin were sleeping together!

I never read his interview but Lucy wrote him a note saying "How could someone so young be so cruel?"

When did the press turn against Lucy like this? Just a few years earlier she had them eating out of her hand. I think it's a combination of the press corps not being so Hollywood friendly and writing 'edgier' than the old guard. They used to praise Lucy's frank demeanor but this group portrays her as crabby or "choleric" as one put it.

I think the turning point was the Desi-Patty Duke affair. Most articles written about that portray Lucy badly because she wasn't welcoming to Patty. But my God!! Who could blame her? Not only was Patty in her wigged-out drug-hazed period, she was 24 and Lucy's son was only 17, which qualifies as statuatory rape now and I'm assuming it did then, no matter how mature and sophisticated Desi may have seemed.

How the hell did i miss this post, just read it when Lucyilove quoted it . . . Yes, Lucy got savaged by writers in the Duke affair with Desi jr, i remember that, she was keeping them apart, Patty wasn't good enough for her son, even Desi jr was quoted as saying his mom was attacked as the wicked witch of the west for her treatment of Patty yet he says his mom did everything right and was very welcoming to her. And whenever i talk about gays, i think back to those constant rumors about Desi jr, just like Travolta and many other gay men, myself included, we're attracted to older women and lust after our best friends, and Desi jr did both.

Charles Higham was the guy who claimed Errol Flynn was a Nazi spy, that the root of the Bette Davis/Joan Crawford feud was that Crawford was sexually aggressive toward Bette, and his topper that Cary Grant all but propositioned him once (if you've ever seen a picture of Higham it's hard to believe that anyone propositioned him, much less a still handsome star who could have had his choice.) So yes I definitely believe he made that up!! Beyond the fact that no one else has ever claimed that rumor, (1) Lucy would never be so stupid as to bring it up with a "journalist" and (2) even Anita Bryant wouldn't be so stupid as to use the word "faggot" when talking to an obviously gay writer.

Having said that, Higham's Lucy book was not bad, just not that great. He was good on a few things like noting a lot of the resentment Lucy had from famous coworkers (this was before the Burton story broke) was because most of them were lazy and refused to take tv work seriously. He seemed rather sympathetic to her in the book however he could have changed his stance once it was published and it was clear she wasn't flattered with it.

I agree with you re the Patty Duke thing, those writers really owed Lucy an apology when it was later clear that almost nothing they were reporting was fact.

So, how do you know Errol WASN'T a spy, other stars have gone that route during the war. And everybody in Hollywood KNEW that Crawford had pursued Davis, constant gifts and invitations which Davis found annoying and she knew Joan's rep in that area. As for Grant, whether his daughter likes it or not, he WAS bisexual, as many people have sex stories about him as Travolta has today.

I agree with your comments completely. I don't see what the big deal was about the Brochu book and find it curious that Lucie would write an endorsement for the back of the Tannen book given her apparent displeasure with Brochu's. Lucie seems to have changed her tune about Tannen too though, didn't she criticize Tannen recently for writing a play about his friendship with Lucy?

I guess I'm in the minority here but I much preferred Brochu's book. It's also better written IMO but that's probably because Brochu is a writer/playwright but he also seemed to know a lot more about Lucy's career than Tannen who seemed to be all just I Love Lucy and Mame. Brochu got Lucy to tell him a lot of stories about famous people that Tannen might not have been interested in. And it wasn't all about him like the Tannen book. The story about the dying young fan visiting Lucy is very poignant and Lucy's story about her 1930's dates with Cesar Romero and her confusion about them not going anywhere is also a lovely little bittersweet tale, discreet (Romero was still living) but unmistakable. And don't forget the gem of a Yvonne De Carlo story! I got tired of all the "ideas" Tannen had for Lucy too as if she needed him for a manager, Brochu seemed much more content to enjoy her company and let Lucy lead.

Man, we sure disagree here . . . Lucie was probably fed up with all these other people making money off her mom, when she feels that money rightfully belongs to her and her brother. Lucy confided the story of Romero and others to Brochu because she had no idea he would write a book about her soon. I agree with you though that the Tannen book focused too much on a few things whereas Brochu took notes on everything she said about various stars, but that should have been kept for her own autobiography, of course, then, we never would have heard those stories as she never did it before she died. I agree also that the cancer boy story was the highlight of the Brochu book and a perfect example of something she did all the time. Didn't he also tell us about her having all these requests from fans everywhere she went, stuff put under the door of her hotel rooms and so on or was that someone else? I disagree though about the help Tannen provided for her, he got her the Harvard Hasty Pudding award and didn't he push through the Blackglama shoot? But then it happened during their estrangement?

When I spoke to Brochu earlier this year, he indicated that he had patched things up with Lucie, but also mentioned she was unhappy with Tannen's play. Take that for what it's worth. LOL

So, how do you know Errol WASN'T a spy, other stars have gone that route during the war. And everybody in Hollywood KNEW that Crawford had pursued Davis, constant gifts and invitations which Davis found annoying and she knew Joan's rep in that area. As for Grant, whether his daughter likes it or not, he WAS bisexual, as many people have sex stories about him as Travolta has today.

Just sayin' Higham is a notoriously unreliable writer, he has always been controversial so almost anything he writes should be questioned, he rarely sourced anything in his books so it's more than plausible he was "creative" at times. Yes, I know Cary Grant was bisexual - though not only his daughter denied it but :lucyshy: as well (in the Brochu book), I think in both cases it was a matter of neither having personal knowledge of that side of his life, therefore it didn't exist to them. Everybody may know about Crawford going after Bette like a Travolta after a personal trainer but that knowledge stems from Higham's book, nobody has ever written about it in their autobios or anything that I'm aware of (though it could be true and fairly sure Joan was bi though I doubt she could ever love another woman besides herself). Re the spy claim, Brochu asked Lucy if the rumors about Joan actually being the "Joan lookalike" at the lookalike Hollywood whorehouse and Lucy said no way, after all the studios worked the stars like crazy back then so she wouldn't have had the time if she had the inclination - same thing with the various stars as spies stories, how could they do it if they were working from 6 am to night and stuck in Hollywood? There so much rumor and conjecture in Hollywood biographies it's tough to tell what's flesh and what's fantasy.
  • Like 1

Just sayin' Higham is a notoriously unreliable writer, he has always been controversial so almost anything he writes should be questioned, he rarely sourced anything in his books so it's more than plausible he was "creative" at times. Yes, I know Cary Grant was bisexual - though not only his daughter denied it but :lucyshy: as well (in the Brochu book), I think in both cases it was a matter of neither having personal knowledge of that side of his life, therefore it didn't exist to them. Everybody may know about Crawford going after Bette like a Travolta after a personal trainer but that knowledge stems from Higham's book, nobody has ever written about it in their autobios or anything that I'm aware of (though it could be true and fairly sure Joan was bi though I doubt she could ever love another woman besides herself). Re the spy claim, Brochu asked Lucy if the rumors about Joan actually being the "Joan lookalike" at the lookalike Hollywood whorehouse and Lucy said no way, after all the studios worked the stars like crazy back then so she wouldn't have had the time if she had the inclination - same thing with the various stars as spies stories, how could they do it if they were working from 6 am to night and stuck in Hollywood? There so much rumor and conjecture in Hollywood biographies it's tough to tell what's flesh and what's fantasy.

Well, i agree with you, you're right, it's just that there was so much stuff in your post that i liked, that i just went nuts when i was faced with replying to it, sorry about that, you're right about Higham i'm sure. It's just that i faced so much flak here for my comments on the guy who had pimped everybody in Hollywood and knew the gay ones from the straight ones and dared talk about it now that they're all gone, which is really the best way to do it.

When I spoke to Brochu earlier this year, he indicated that he had patched things up with Lucie, but also mentioned she was unhappy with Tannen's play. Take that for what it's worth. LOL

There's a thread about the play from two years ago http://www.lucylounge.com/index.php?/topic/92-i-loved-lucy-on-stage/ and someone posted Lucie's one sentence slam on the play, don't know if that was her only public comment on it. Here's a review of the play in The OC Register http://www.ocregiste...annen-play.html . (there's also one from the LA Times on the play's thread).

There's a thread about the play from two years ago and someone posted Lucie's one sentence slam on the play, don't know if that was her only public comment on it. Here's a review of the play in The OC Register http://www.ocregister.com/articles/lucy-270476-tannen-play.html . (there's also one from the LA Times on the play's thread).

What'd Lucie say about it?