New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Well, i agree with you, you're right, it's just that there was so much stuff in your post that i liked, that i just went nuts when i was faced with replying to it, sorry about that, you're right about Higham i'm sure. It's just that i faced so much flak here for my comments on the guy who had pimped everybody in Hollywood and knew the gay ones from the straight ones and dared talk about it now that they're all gone, which is really the best way to do it.

Oh I must have missed that thread but I know about the book you are talking about though I've never read it, I don't have a problem with dish or dirt if they can prove it trouble is so many writers know after somebody famous is dead they can write absolutely anything and get away with it. Higham was one of the pioneers of that "genre".

Oh I must have missed that thread but I know about the book you are talking about though I've never read it, I don't have a problem with dish or dirt if they can prove it trouble is so many writers know after somebody famous is dead they can write absolutely anything and get away with it. Higham was one of the pioneers of that "genre".

It was the guy who wrote FULL SERVICE, about him working at a gas station and Walter Pigeon was the first one to come up and proposition him and then he went from there to everybody famous in Hollywood, they knew this place was the meeting place to see this guy and request anything they wanted.

When I spoke to Brochu earlier this year, he indicated that he had patched things up with Lucie, but also mentioned she was unhappy with Tannen's play. Take that for what it's worth. LOL

Thanks, Brock - straight from the horse's mouth talk; that's ALWAYS BEST; better than 'memories'; 'speculation'; gossip; p.r.; and all 'other' categories....

[..."And whenever i talk about gays, i think back to those constant rumors about Desi jr, just like Travolta and many other gay men, myself included, we're attracted to older women and lust after our best friends, and Desi jr did both."]

I hope you are not saying Desi, IV, has gay tendencies; lumping all men who are attracted to older women; love their mothers; and 'love' their best friends, are gay...

what a crock of crap....I know plenty of younger men who are all the above, and NOT GAY... let's not forget that....

I've never heard that Desi Jr. had any gay affairs either. I couldn't believe he would. He seems too straight to even want to go in the other direction.

I never said he WAS gay, or bi or whatever, ALL I SAID WAS THAT THERE WERE STORIES ABOUT HIM BEING GAY BACK THEN, HIM AND DINO JR. It wasn't that many but there were some.

Getting back to the somewhat notorious Charles Higham, he was actually a very good biographer when he wanted to write a serious book it's just he also loved to do those dubious rumor-heavy books as well which of course always sold better and brought more attention. I just found my copy of his Lucy biography and reading bits and pieces from it it's pretty good and quite fair-minded and clearly written from an admiring viewpoint toward Lucy. I suspect that changed for him after Lucy let her disapproval of the book be known and led to his subsequent ridiculous stories. I can see the things Lucy might have not been too happy with, he calls her on her lack of discretion when talking to the press about her family particularly her kids, that brutal honesty of hers. But I wouldn't be surprised if the book's cover didn't exactly please the Mortons either - the back cover is a vintage loving Lucy & Desi portrait which was kind of a no-no to play up the Lucy & Desi thing in the Gary era.

Getting back to the somewhat notorious Charles Higham, he was actually a very good biographer when he wanted to write a serious book it's just he also loved to do those dubious rumor-heavy books as well which of course always sold better and brought more attention. I just found my copy of his Lucy biography and reading bits and pieces from it it's pretty good and quite fair-minded and clearly written from an admiring viewpoint toward Lucy. I suspect that changed for him after Lucy let her disapproval of the book be known and led to his subsequent ridiculous stories. I can see the things Lucy might have not been too happy with, he calls her on her lack of discretion when talking to the press about her family particularly her kids, that brutal honesty of hers. But I wouldn't be surprised if the book's cover didn't exactly please the Mortons either - the back cover is a vintage loving Lucy & Desi portrait which was kind of a no-no to play up the Lucy & Desi thing in the Gary era.

OMG, i totally agreed with him there of course, every time she went on talk shows and told us about her kids, well, their grades should not be a subject of conversation when you've had a lengthy career as varied and interesting as hers was.

OMG, i totally agreed with him there of course, every time she went on talk shows and told us about her kids, well, their grades should not be a subject of conversation when you've had a lengthy career as varied and interesting as hers was.

I don't think she was ever lacking discretion when it came to talking about her kids. I think she held back when asked about certain things, particularly Desi Jr.'s romantic escapades. She certainly never called him a "faggot" though either. Higham sounds like an asshole.

I don't think she was ever lacking discretion when it came to talking about her kids. I think she held back when asked about certain things, particularly Desi Jr.'s romantic escapades. /quote] Remember on The Tonight Show, where Joan Rivers asked her if anything about her kids ever annoyed her . . . and she answered, the fact that they had to grow up at all, in the sixties yet . . .i was talking about stupid things like their grades in school, i'm sure THEY did not want their lack of good grades being broadcast to America.

I don't think she was ever lacking discretion when it came to talking about her kids. I think she held back when asked about certain things, particularly Desi Jr.'s romantic escapades. /quote] Remember on The Tonight Show, where Joan Rivers asked her if anything about her kids ever annoyed her . . . and she answered, the fact that they had to grow up at all, in the sixties yet . . .i was talking about stupid things like their grades in school, i'm sure THEY did not want their lack of good grades being broadcast to America.

Ahhh, I see. Yes, she probably embarassed them like that when they were in their formative years.

Just thought Id pop in and tell you guys that Henry Bushkin, who was Johnny Carson's lawyer and closest friend for nearly twenty years, is coming out with a book in a couple of weeks. Of course most of the book should be about Johnny but Lucy is in it as well as most of the other big stars of the 60's and 70's. This book should be really facinating. Bushkin was really "connected" and knew what was going on with the major players in hollywood and broadcasting.

Just thought Id pop in and tell you guys that Henry Bushkin, who was Johnny Carson's lawyer and closest friend for nearly twenty years, is coming out with a book in a couple of weeks. Of course most of the book should be about Johnny but Lucy is in it as well as most of the other big stars of the 60's and 70's. This book should be really facinating. Bushkin was really "connected" and knew what was going on with the major players in hollywood and broadcasting.

Looking forward to another great book.
  • Like 1

Yeah I have high hopes for this one. Bushkin has said that he is going to "explain the Joan Rivers fallout" and tell us what really goes on during those hollywood parties. lol. He knew Johnny Carson better than anyone and can hopefully explain who the man really was.

Didn't Freddie de Cordova already write one also?

Didn't Freddie de Cordova already write one also?

Sure. He wrote a book. But he wrote it in the late 1980's and of course would never get into Carson the man. That was he paycheck! Lol. By the way Fred had a falling out with Johnny in 1991. When Johnny came back on the air after his son Rick was killed he talked about his son and showed some of his pictures. While Johnny was in the middle of this touching tribute to Rick Fred gave Johnny the wrap it up signal, saying they were running out of time. After the show Johnny exploded at Fred and stripped him of his power. I think Johnny was taking some of his grief out on Fred.

Sure. He wrote a book. But he wrote it in the late 1980's and of course would never get into Carson the man. That was he paycheck! Lol. By the way Fred had a falling out with Johnny in 1991. When Johnny came back on the air after his son Rick was killed he talked about his son and showed some of his pictures. While Johnny was in the middle of this touching tribute to Rick Fred gave Johnny the wrap it up signal, saying they were running out of time. After the show Johnny exploded at Fred and stripped him of his power. I think Johnny was taking some of his grief out on Fred.

I saw that show, so out of character for cold unfeeling Johnny. Freddie was only doing his job, making sure they were on time, but i agree with you, tough for Johnny, so he took it out on Fred.

Found a hardcover copy of one of the Henry Fonda bios and it mentions Lucy of course, the story about their dating with Stewart and Ginger and Henrylu studios and the other one being about their work together on Yours mine and ours. Seems Lucy went to him to warn him about their cuts on the picture`s script but he was busy doing his crewel work and could not have cared less . . . until he was rehearsing and found out some cuts ruined set ups so then he cared and Lucy had to pacify him and make things right.