New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Well at least you were alive then! Us poor saps who never got to enjoy Lucy's life while she was still around...okay, I was almost 10 when she died, but still would've liked to have experienced her glory years.

Ok, there ya got me. Saw her for the first time at four, at my grandparents. Was worshipping her at 10, greiving her passing at 39.

One of Betty White's many books, this one about her life in television is loaded with Lucy mentions, De De even, Desilu, and there's one picture of Lucy with Carol Channing at that other Betty White book promotion. Where Lucy and Carol were her sponsors or so it said. One of the many pictures showed Betty with Carol and Reta Shaw and someone else, figures, forgot who it was already. Anyway, i`m sure all of Betty`s books will be made into tv specials or even movies for which she will win many other awards. She`s had to move her awards from the top of the mantel on the fireplace to her entire living room area, going into the hallway all the way down to the pool for the ones that float. I was surprised to read that she`s been married three times, and we know she hopes one day to make Robert Redford her fourth.

There were two there on the shelf and this one i believe was her previous one, BETTY WHITE, MY LIFE IN TELEVISION. I think they're going to give her the Pulizer for this one.

For the movie version, Betty will play herself with Lindsay Lohan pegged to play Bea Arthur. She's having her feet stretched for the role.

• 1 month later...

Reread Cindy de la Hoz' great Lucy at the Movies book and forgot how great the text is as well as the fantastic pictures, cover included. Read it cover to cover and was amazed at how she included some great reviews, even of MAME, as well as the whole Lucy movie story from beginning to end. More complete a Lucy movie history one will never find.

A must own, very good.

And it's such a HUGE book too. This woman really knows how to do a book that will last forever and will be beloved by all Lucy fans. Glossy, detailed, incredible pictures, fine text, i could go on forever how much i LOVE this book. It's HER style though as the Lana Turner one is very similar.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for telling us about this book, Brock. After reading the article I clicked on the amazon book link & searched the Table of Contents, hoping the authors would be listed. They weren't, but I clicked on the word "index" at the end of the contents, hoping it was a link & it was. Lots of pages are listed after Bob & Madelyn's names B) . I forgot to look for the other Bob, though.

• 3 weeks later...

A Kindle interview with Bob Schiller popped up on Amazon.com on Monday:

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Other-Funny-Stuff-ebook/dp/B00CLDTX98/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367465887&sr=1-2&keywords=Lucille+Ball

Has anyone taken a gander at this? I'd be curious to know the quality before shelling out a whopping $2.99. The fact they picked a wrong Bob for the cover art gives me some hesitation. :lucyhaha:

A Kindle interview with Bob Schiller popped up on Amazon.com on Monday:

http://www.amazon.co...ds=Lucille Ball

Has anyone taken a gander at this? I'd be curious to know the quality before shelling out a whopping $2.99. The fact they picked a wrong Bob for the cover art gives me some hesitation. :lucyhaha:

This is an excerpt from the book "the Laugh Crafters" so it's not a recent interview.

I don't know what shape 95 years old Schiller is in. Schiller, Bob O'Brien and Bob Carroll were all born the same year 1918.

I've been buying old bios like crazy lately and just love looking for obvious Lucy mentions. Was shocked to see Lucy missing from the Debbie Reynolds one, love Debbie, always have, but for her not to mention Lucy at all was surprising. Carol Burnett's and Betty White's usually do, thank God.

Dunno if any of you have seen Cher and her mom plugging that Lifetime special tribute to Georgia Holt, but in it she claims she worked for Lucy for ten years, I only knew of that ONE I Love Lucy ep, what else is there?

Apparently she is the model the fashion show hostess referred to as "Georgia" in Lucy & Pat Collins.

For the movie version, Betty will play herself with Lindsay Lohan pegged to play Bea Arthur. She's having her feet stretched for the role.

Yes Betty will play herself but actually, Lindsay is playing Rue McCllellan. Bea Arthur will be played by Harvey Fierstein. Rumor has it Meryl Streep is working on her accent to play Estelle Getty.

While Betty's first choice to play Allen Ludden was Robert Redford it's been mentioned Zac Efron and Taylor Lautner are now in the running. Taylor wants the part so bad he was spotted at Walmart trying to find the right pair of eyeglasses.

• Like 1

I was looking through a old Milwaukee Theatre's book and they had a picture of the opening of The Long, Long Trailer with the New Moon trailer in front for free tours at one of Milwaukee theatres. Why oh why wasn't I around then?!?!

I on the other hand feel sorry for the older Lucy fans who never lived to see the dvd era and own the treasure trove of tv shows, interviews, movies, etc released in the format plus the incredible access to hundreds of oldtime radio broadcasts, thousands of free pix online, collectibles released, etc. Did anyone in their wildest dreams, even the most devout Lucy fan, ever imagine all of this stuff would be available one day - we thought it was something when the ILL episodes were available three episodes to a videotape in the 1990's!! I for one am glad I'm "here" rather than "there" to have all these priceless goodies though it was a joy to grow up with a living Lucy as much a part of our lives as Campbell's soup in the 60s 70s and 80s.