New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Took me a second (but only a SECOND) to get the tie-in to Ziegfeld Follies (made in 1944 but not released until 1946). I don't know what the delay was all about, do you?

Ziegfeld Follies had a disastrous test screening in late 1944 and the picture ran well over the average length of a film at that time (some have said it was just under three others, others have said it was well over four). A lot was cut from the film, including Fanny Brice's "Baby Snooks and the Burglar" and a Jimmy Durante number. Some additional scenes were filmed (the Keenan Wynn sketch being one) and others were refilmed (the finale). Although Lucy was originally supposed to appear in several sequences of the film, none of them were actually filmed outside the opening number. Nothing with Lucy was cut from the film. The film actually received a limited release in select cities in 1945, but was not well received. As a result, MGM was not in a great hurry to give the film a major release. It was finally released nationwide in 1946 and made money.

So true. WHY is it that writers seem to revel in stories that make Lucy seem like an unpleasant person to work with? AND why do they automatically take the side of the person telling the story? Though I think you answered, it sells books.

Take Burton for instance....Lucy knew how much progress must be made on a given day to have the show ready by Thursday night. There just wasn't always time for Burton's method of waiting for the muse to call. Though Jerry Paris had enough experience to know, it's possible he was too star-struck and intimidated by Burton to give him the necessary push..Just a theory. And as far as unprofessional stories about them go, the Liz and Dick have Lucy beat by a mile.

EXACTLY, both of them were so used to having smoke blown up their respective asses that they always made ASSES of themselves on sets. Liz HAVING to get a present on every single day of shooting, they thought they were Gods but their glory days long gone by the time they did Lucy. They were NOT used to doing comedy, and here, they were working with the QUEEN of comedy, she was not gonna let MUMBLES lose those laughs with poor delivery if she could help it, after all, it was HER show and HER reputation at stake here.

But she doesn't look a day over 100.

Lucy Ricardo would be 92 now. Catherine Curtis: 91

Lucy Carter? A mere 85, at least what her "Lucy's Birthday" episode slip-up implied.

Carmichael, Whitaker, Collins and Barker: age undetermined.

The youngest of them all: one of her "3 for 2" characters would be 83.

Whenever I see pics of her contemporaries nowadays, I always think, well, guess she didn`t look that bad after all, compared to THEM anyway. And she never needed to be wheeled out of a car the way most of them do, at her age I mean. She kept herself in shape.

Ziegfeld Follies had a disastrous test screening in late 1944 and the picture ran well over the average length of a film at that time (some have said it was just under three others, others have said it was well over four). A lot was cut from the film, including Fanny Brice's "Baby Snooks and the Burglar" and a Jimmy Durante number. Some additional scenes were filmed (the Keenan Wynn sketch being one) and others were refilmed (the finale). Although Lucy was originally supposed to appear in several sequences of the film, none of them were actually filmed outside the opening number. Nothing with Lucy was cut from the film. The film actually received a limited release in select cities in 1945, but was not well received. As a result, MGM was not in a great hurry to give the film a major release. It was finally released nationwide in 1946 and made money.

Do you think the end of the war was a factor, like people needing a FEEL GOOD TYPE movie to lift their spirits.

The difference is those 2 were movie stars with all their privileged star things, while Lucy was an actress, a damn good one who knew what hard work was. She could have resorted to star behavior too and got it at that point but she had class. Those 2 didn't. Sucks that no one realized how classless Burton was in basically calling Lucy a bitch in his book.

The difference is those 2 were movie stars with all their privileged star things, while Lucy was an actress, a damn good one who knew what hard work was. She could have resorted to star behavior too and got it at that point but she had class. Those 2 didn't. Sucks that no one realized how classless Burton was in basically calling Lucy a bitch in his book.

So glad that pompous ass bastard NEVER got the Oscar, guess the voters knew how he really was. I got that book by the way, very recently, the pomposity drips off of every page.

He was perhaps basing it on his wife, twice, being the classic Hollywood bitch.

Why don't you just order it from Amazon.ca when it becomes available or from those little kiosk doohickeys at Indigo?

I thought it was too difficult to get here, but when you guys say it's available I will order from Chapter's but watch them tell me they can't get it or something. Can't order from Amazon Ca if one has to give the credit card number online, I dun't do that thin!

Archaeologists in 4013 will uncover the remains of a warehouse filled with these books.

Or maybe they'll wait until 2051 and just add a couple quotation marks to make it " 'Lucy" at 100".

I'd better order mine in the reader's digest large print edition now.

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's "news" sort of and entertainment-related but not really a "Lucy"-themed book although I'm anxious to see if she's/YM&O is referenced in it and if so how much, but here's word of an upcoming book signing here in LA with Tom North, author of new book entitled True North.

When: Wednesday, August 31st @ 4 PM

Where: Book Soup -- on "the Strip" at 8818 W. Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood

What: Tom North, one of the North children whose family inspired the movie Yours, Mine and Ours, will be signing his new book. :lucycoy:

51drhhxF6JL._SY300_.jpg