New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's "news" sort of and entertainment-related but not really a "Lucy"-themed book although I'm anxious to see if she's/YM&O is referenced in it and if so how much, but here's word of an upcoming book signing here in LA with Tom North, author of new book entitled True North.

When: Wednesday, August 31st @ 4 PM

Where: Book Soup -- on "the Strip" at 8818 W. Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood

What: Tom North, one of the North children whose family inspired the movie Yours, Mine and Ours, will be signing his new book. :lucycoy:

51drhhxF6JL._SY300_.jpg

Dontcha thin a pic of the stars of the movie next to one of the real family might have helped sell the book?

Wasn't sure where to post this as it's "news" sort of and entertainment-related but not really a "Lucy"-themed book although I'm anxious to see if she's/YM&O is referenced in it and if so how much, but here's word of an upcoming book signing here in LA with Tom North, author of new book entitled True North.

When: Wednesday, August 31st @ 4 PM

Where: Book Soup -- on "the Strip" at 8818 W. Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood

What: Tom North, one of the North children whose family inspired the movie Yours, Mine and Ours, will be signing his new book. :lucycoy:

51drhhxF6JL._SY300_.jpg

Lovely-looking man; wonder what he will have to say....

Lovely-looking man; wonder what he will have to say....

I'm not so sure you all will be pleased with this book because it's Tom's own story about how horrible his life was growing up in this huge family especially with a step-father who was nothing like the portrayal in the beloved 1968 film. (allegedly many family members a quite upset about this book).

Here's an eye-opening excerpt:

Not long after, Helen North met and married Frank Beardsley, a man with 10 children, and she moved her family to his house in Carmel, California. The North children were adopted and their names were changed to Beardsley. But, it wasn’t one big happy family as the movies depicted. The North children went from a life filled with love and happiness, to living a nightmare. The stepfather’s violence, abuse, and even sexual abuse created a life of intimidation, confusion, turmoil, fear and depression for the North children.

“While she was researching her role as Helen North Beardsley, Lucille Ball actually came to observe us for a few days, in order to get a flavor for the characters. At the end of Lucy’s first day in Frank’s presence, she approached my mother and in a serious, almost threatening tone admonished her, “You keep that man away from me.” She left and stayed at the Lodge in Pebble Beach for the duration of her visit.”

All hope seemed lost as Tom realized that he was caught in a prison and there was no way out. When he finally left home, he traveled on a journey of self-discovery, survival and healing. Years later, Tom miraculously led his family to counseling sessions where shocking truths were revealed. He then came full circle as he reclaimed his father’s name and was finally, True North.

I'm not so sure you all will be pleased with this book because it's Tom's own story about how horrible his life was growing up in this huge family especially with a step-father who was nothing like the portrayal in the beloved 1968 film. (allegedly many family members a quite upset about this book).

Here's an eye-opening excerpt:

Not long after, Helen North met and married Frank Beardsley, a man with 10 children, and she moved her family to his house in Carmel, California. The North children were adopted and their names were changed to Beardsley. But, it wasn’t one big happy family as the movies depicted. The North children went from a life filled with love and happiness, to living a nightmare. The stepfather’s violence, abuse, and even sexual abuse created a life of intimidation, confusion, turmoil, fear and depression for the North children.

“While she was researching her role as Helen North Beardsley, Lucille Ball actually came to observe us for a few days, in order to get a flavor for the characters. At the end of Lucy’s first day in Frank’s presence, she approached my mother and in a serious, almost threatening tone admonished her, “You keep that man away from me.” She left and stayed at the Lodge in Pebble Beach for the duration of her visit.”

All hope seemed lost as Tom realized that he was caught in a prison and there was no way out. When he finally left home, he traveled on a journey of self-discovery, survival and healing. Years later, Tom miraculously led his family to counseling sessions where shocking truths were revealed. He then came full circle as he reclaimed his father’s name and was finally, True North.

Wow, what a story, thanks for filling us in until we get the book, shocking, and as you said, so unlike what those fake Hollywood movies portray, same as they always do.

Got this BIO on Bette Davis today, for once it's not ancient, it's from 2007 called Dark Victory, The Life of Bette Davis. Looked up the Lucy mentions, there were THREE. Her auditioning, along with Bette and a thousand others for Gone with the Wind. Lucy trying to get Bette on one of the Lucy Desi comedy hours but Bette's accident shelving that plan and a cute little story of Lucy and Bette on a plane along with all these stars from both Warners and Columbia when Lucy was just a minor star. Bette surveys all these stars on the plane and says to Lucy, IMAGINE IF THIS PLANE WENT DOWN, WONDER WHO WOULD GET TOP BILLING. Lucy answers, DON'T WORRY BET, YOU'D GET IT FOR SURE!

Awesome response! :D Haha.

That's my mom's favorite part of the whole film. Every time I get to it, I always think about my mom.

I sat in a theater and watched that movie 18 times when it came out, including one Saturday when I went in at ten am and exited near Midnight and the only lull in that great movie was the courtroom scene, I absolutely hated it, but when I saw it recently, I saw it was rather short anyhoo. You should have heard that crowd of 1300 or so screaming in laughter at the eyelash scene, the drunk scene and the making of breakfast and the almost buying that statue, LOL!

I love Tallulah!

She had a way with words, let's say, LOL! You've undoubtedly heard my all time favorite story of hers, well, the one I remember most easily, I've told it here many times, in case you didn't . . . Tallulah went to the bathroom but upon entering the stall noticed there was no toilet paper. So she inquired to the lady in the next stall if she could spare some, when the lady replied it was the same situation in hers, no toilet paper. Tallulah asked in her best baritone voice, DO YOU HAVE TWO FIVES FOR A TEN DARLING?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, asshole burton is really on my shit list now. Had read his boring book and his comments on Lucy but today, I had a copy of the burton diaries in my hands and read the Lucy part and it seems expanded, just horrid things to say about her. Seems like the burton diarrhea would be a better title cause he's full of shit.

It better be worth it I keep waiting for the Life book. Hope it is full or never before seen stories and photos and not just another run of the mill tribute.

You've already seen some, Shel's been showing us all these shots that say LIFE in the bottom corner so we might not even need the book soon.

Read Dick Van Dyke's last book, from 2010 today, only one Lucy mention. He says that when he first met Mary Tyler Moore, he thought she had a little bit of Kate Hepburn in her but he thought she had limited comedic skills and certainly was no Lucille Ball. But years later, she won him over. Dick's a terrific writer, gets to the point, no useless details. He goes over his entire career, films, tv shows, his family, his drinking problem and a great chapter on his idol Stan Laurel, absolutely loved the easy read and interesting book.