New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Quote from noted celebrity (male!):
"Zsa Zsa was my chief sexual predator.  I ran from her like I did from Hedy Lamarr, joan crawford and LUCILLE BALL"

Can you guess who this is?   Hint: he had TWO very high profile marriages and another semi-high profile one that produced an offspring who had/has an acting career.

I will add that this book was written by one of those authors that quotes private conversations between long-gone people and pads with scandalous "facts" that he could not possibly know.

Much like that Boze Hadleigh who wrote several books "outing" closeted celebrities.  For some reason, these people opened up to HIM and told secrets they had been guarding for their entire careers.  By the time the book was published, most were deceased.  The men, including Cary Grant made passes at Boze--in Grant's case a completed pass. I've seen more recent on-camera interviews with Boze and unless he aged VERY badly, one would think these people would find him resistible.

Quote from noted celebrity (male!):

"Zsa Zsa was my chief sexual predator.  I ran from her like I did from Hedy Lamarr, joan crawford and LUCILLE BALL"

Can you guess who this is?   Hint: he had TWO very high profile marriages and another semi-high profile one that produced an offspring who had/has an acting career.

I will add that this book was written by one of those authors that quotes private conversations between long-gone people and pads with scandalous "facts" that he could not possibly know.

Much like that Boze Hadleigh who wrote several books "outing" closeted celebrities.  For some reason, these people opened up to HIM and told secrets they had been guarding for their entire careers.  By the time the book was published, most were deceased.  The men, including Cary Grant made passes at Boze--in Grant's case a completed pass. I've seen more recent on-camera interviews with Boze and unless he aged VERY badly, one would think these people would find him resistible.

Well, I for one am dying to know who this person is.  As for this BOZE person, let him talk, it's the only way we fans ever find out the truth about what's going on in La La Land.  I was shocked to learn that Cary had a sexual relationship with his stepson, Barbara Hutton's son Lance Reventlow.  Not only did Lance reveal this to loads of people and Cary never hid the fact that he adored that kid, and was devastated when he passed away, in a plane crash I think.  I love that quote of Lucy's that Cary was not gay!  Well, maybe not with her he wasn't. 

Well, I for one am dying to know who this person is.  As for this BOZE person, let him talk, it's the only way we fans ever find out the truth about what's going on in La La Land.  I was shocked to learn that Cary had a sexual relationship with his stepson, Barbara Hutton's son Lance Reventlow.  Not only did Lance reveal this to loads of people and Cary never hid the fact that he adored that kid, and was devastated when he passed away, in a plane crash I think.  I love that quote of Lucy's that Cary was not gay!  Well, maybe not with her he wasn't. 

Let's keep this Boze worship to the Hollywood Babylon thread. :P

It was Eddie Fisher who if I'm not mistaken did not become a celebrity until the 50s.

Maybe Lucy was just trying to get him on her show ("Mr. Fisher, I HAVE to talk to you....")  and Eddie took it the wrong way.

OR this guy just made up the quote.

The show could have been an altered  "Lucy,the Peacemaker" script done with the Burtons and Debbie and Eddie in which Lucy gets confused and reunites the wrong parties so Richard winds up with Debbie.

The author of "Those Glamorous Gabors" is someone named Darwin Porter and the book is 700 pages long!

I should have known better when I bought the book, because I have another by him about Merv Griffin that too is padded with a lot of conversations in quotes that a) are between two deceased parties and B) would not have been written down anywhere else because they're not all quotable.  It's not like Eva, Zsa Zsa or Merv tweeted.

When I read a biography, I want the facts and don't want the author to be a  colorful truth-pusher, which seems to be this guy's specialty.

The author of "Those Glamorous Gabors" is someone named Darwin Porter and the book is 700 pages long!

I should have known better when I bought the book, because I have another by him about Merv Griffin that too is padded with a lot of conversations in quotes that a) are between two deceased parties and B) would not have been written down anywhere else because they're not all quotable.  It's not like Eva, Zsa Zsa or Merv tweeted.

When I read a biography, I want the facts and don't want the author to be a  colorful truth-pusher, which seems to be this guy's specialty.

Does it have all those great gabore stories like Zsa Zsa winning Miss Hungary at the age of six?  I would buy the Griffin book as it's undoubtedly JUICIER.

Got the book, Peter Lawford, The Man Who Kept the Secrets.  Checked the back right away to see if there were any Lucy references, BUT NONE WERE SHOWN.  Then, I open up the book and see a pic of Lucy dating Peter one night in November '44, probably when she was divorcing Desi.  Anyhoo, as I read the book, I kept seeing Lucy references all the way through.  Her TV Show is mentioned everywhere, one of his closest friends was Bill Asher, and most of his life is set in Hollywood.  What a  great book, his marrying a Kennedy, friends and then enemies with Sinatra, working at MGM, then freelancing like Lucy.  Doing a tv show, whoring around with hookers all the time, gay dalliances, confrontations with his bitch of a mom, a Lady in London but a bitch at home, dating some Lucy friends like June Allyson, Judy, Lana, even Monroe, one of the best celebrity bios I've ever read.

You can google WEDDINGS AND MOVIE STARS images and get to see lots of the wedding pics, although there is a ridiculous number of Indian weddings for some reason in there, not the book, just in google images.  My favorite though has to be the one of Liza marrying that jerk and little Mikey Jackson and Liz Taylor attending and looking like the four Scarecrows from hell.

Found this giant coffee table book on Hollywood homes called HAVENS 2.  No Lucy in it but her signature was.  Seems Kirk and Anne Douglas have this passage way leading to their front door that has all these cement blocks that have been signed by all these stars.  The first one shown on the left in close up was signed by Tony Martin and Cyd Charisse.  So, Lucy signed it too, in the middle of those other two names.  Have no idea what year she did this, but no Arnaz and gary was no STAR so who knows? 

• When I was a kid of 25, I had this book that I loved, but as I had several apartments when I was that age, I never wanted to move all my books and magazines so I got rid of them.  Now, 40 years later, today, as a matter of fact, I found the one book I missed the most.  LIFE GOES TO THE MOVIES.  Of course It features many Lucy pics.  It's a beautiful coffee table type book, mostly in color and photographs that LIFE was famous for, employing the world's best photographers.  Some of the photos of The Queen of Comedy are . . . Lucy hanging on to something over mountains with that HUGE EYE look of hers celebrating her return to television in '62.  Never expected to find her in the CENSORED section, but there she is in two shots from Her Husband's Affairs, in a double bed for the US version and in twin beds for the British version.  One page features just her mouth and eyes, calling the colorful Lucy "Technicolor Tessie" and why she was named that way.  There's also that marvelous photo of all the stars at MGM in '43 with Lucy in the front and Desi in the back, next to everyone from Gable to Hepburn and many of her famous friends in between.  LOVE THIS BOOK, SO HAPPY TO HAVE IT AGAIN

Man, this is so S T R A N G E .  I mentioned elsewhere that I was looking for Desi's A BOOK, but refused to pay the amounts you guys were quoting, said I would pay less than ten dollars second hand, MAXIMUM!  First place I went to this morning, where I have NEVER been before, had it in their biographies.  Man, I hope Goodwill in the US has the same set up they have here, $3.50 for old hard cover editions and 1 or 2.50 for paperbacks.  So, I am now reading Desi's A Book, for the first time in decades and it is terrific, and only paid 2.50 for a paperback of it.  Funny, as I was reading, I could remember every word, well, the ones referring to Lucy anyway.  Absolutely terrific book.  Sorry we did not get ANOTHER BOOK.

Man, this is so S T R A N G E . I mentioned elsewhere that I was looking for Desi's A BOOK, but refused to pay the amounts you guys were quoting, said I would pay less than ten dollars second hand, MAXIMUM! First place I went to this morning, where I have NEVER been before, had it in their biographies. Man, I hope Goodwill in the US has the same set up they have here, $3.50 for old hard cover editions and 1 or 2.50 for paperbacks. So, I am now reading Desi's A Book, for the first time in decades and it is terrific, and only paid 2.50 for a paperback of it. Funny, as I was reading, I could remember every word, well, the ones referring to Lucy anyway. Absolutely terrific book. Sorry we did not get ANOTHER BOOK.

You lucky ducks! Awesome deal. :)

You lucky ducks! Awesome deal. :)

Can I just post ONE little section, it's my favorite out of the entire book . . . DOING THAT LAST LUCY/DESI COMEDY HOUR WAS NOT EASY.  WE KNEW IT WAS THE LAST TIME WE'D BE LUCY AND RICKY.  AS FATE WOULD HAVE IT, THE VERY LAST SCENE IN THAT STORY CALLED FOR A LONG CLINCH AND A KISS AND MAKE UP ENDING.  AS WE GOT TO IT, WE LOOKED AT ECH OTHER, EMBRACED AND KISSED.  THIS WAS NOT JUST AN ORDINARY KISS FOR A SCENE IN A SHOW.  IT WAS A KISS THAT WOULD WRAP UP TWENTY YEARS OF LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP, TRIUMPHS AND FAILURES, ECSTACY AND SEX, JEALOUSY AND REGRETS, HEARTBREAKS AND LAUGHTER . . .AND TEARS.  THE ONLY THING WE WERE NOT ABLE TO HIDE WAS THE TEARS.  AFTER THE KISS WE JUST STOOD THERE LOOKING AT EACH OTHER AND LICKING THE SALT.  THEN LUCY SAID, "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SAY 'CUT'."  I KNOW, 'CUT', GODDAMN IT!  I LOVE LUCY WAS NEVER JUST A TITLE.

Best part ever. Was there any part you had forgot about once you've reread it. I read it again about 6 months ago and forgot about a lot.

Not me, as I was reading, it was coming faster in my mind than it did through my peepers.  For a book I hadn't read in twenty years or so, it was amazing to know as soon as he started a topic, I knew exactly what he was going to say, that book was just excellent.  I wonder if it did well because people never expected him to be such a great writer telling those stories, although he had told some on talk shows.  Or if it was just finally hearing HIS side of the Lucy/Desi story for a change and his being like Lucy and being totally direct and honest about the whole THIN.  I read that he had a really tough time writing it, not remembering certain things and needing a lot of help, from everybody including Lucy.  Love the fact that he sent her the galleys and she was only concerned about anything that would hurt their kids.   These two were so incredibly honest and up front about their lives.  If only he had gotten around to writing that ANOTHER BOOK and she had done her autobiography BEFORE she passed on.  She came close, but damn that aorta!

Not me, as I was reading, it was coming faster in my mind than it did through my peepers. For a book I hadn't read in twenty years or so, it was amazing to know as soon as he started a topic, I knew exactly what he was going to say, that book was just excellent. I wonder if it did well because people never expected him to be such a great writer telling those stories, although he had told some on talk shows. Or if it was just finally hearing HIS side of the Lucy/Desi story for a change and his being like Lucy and being totally direct and honest about the whole THIN. I read that he had a really tough time writing it, not remembering certain things and needing a lot of help, from everybody including Lucy. Love the fact that he sent her the galleys and she was only concerned about anything that would hurt their kids. These two were so incredibly honest and up front about their lives. If only he had gotten around to writing that ANOTHER BOOK and she had done her autobiography BEFORE she passed on. She came close, but damn that aorta!

I wonder if he had anything written for Another Book.. It probably would've been found.

I wonder if he had anything written for Another Book.. It probably would've been found.

I'll have to dig it out, but Star Notes, the magazine for the We Love Lucy fan club, had some excerpts from the incomplete next draft.

What I wouldn't give for Star Notes to be revived. (C'mon, Tom!)