New Lucy Books

Mister Hepburn

Today, I got 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider from 2003.  Only one of Lucy's movies made the cut, AND I'm quite embarrassed to say that it was the one Brock loves and I find so so, DANCE, GIRL, DANCE.  I wonder if Brock got the book as they say the exact same thing he says, THAT LUCY WALKED AWAY WITH THE PICTURE, STOLE ALL HER SCENES AND IS THE BEST THING ABOUT THE MOVIE.  Can't argue with that last part, but I just never enjoyed her RKO movies except for The Big Street, that did not even make the cut.  I'm gonna go sit in the corner now with a big DUNCE cap on.

Today, I got 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay Schneider from 2003.  Only one of Lucy's movies made the cut, AND I'm quite embarrassed to say that it was the one Brock loves and I find so so, DANCE, GIRL, DANCE.  I wonder if Brock got the book as they say the exact same thing he says, THAT LUCY WALKED AWAY WITH THE PICTURE, STOLE ALL HER SCENES AND IS THE BEST THING ABOUT THE MOVIE.  Can't argue with that last part, but I just never enjoyed her RKO movies except for The Big Street, that did not even make the cut.  I'm gonna go sit in the corner now with a big DUNCE cap on.

dinah-sanders.gif

Another book I found on the weekend was this book tribute to the late Sammy Davis jr, by his daughter.  I did not buy that one as it was quite spensive as it's new, it had two Lucy mentions.  One was a two page black and white photo of Lucy with Sammy on her set for Here's Lucy and the other was a page that mentioned Sammy's being given the Kennedy Center Honor by Lucy who introduced his segment.  Sammy's daughter reveals that Lucy was a frequent guest at the house for his famous gourmet meals that Lucy even mentioned in her speech.

• 3 weeks later...

From a new book about musicals.....I'll put this in quiz form before revealing the answer.

""X" (the director) toyed with the idea of stunt casting using Rosalind Russell, Bette Davis or Lucille Ball but finally decided on "Y" for the role, who did it on Broadway."

What FAMOUS director was offered $1 million to direct "Mame" but turned it down? (NOT Cukor!)

Hint: This was in 1969 and the director had yet to make the uber-successful film he is most associated with.

From a new book about musicals.....I'll put this in quiz form before revealing the answer.

""X" (the director) toyed with the idea of stunt casting using Rosalind Russell, Bette Davis or Lucille Ball but finally decided on "Y" for the role, who did it on Broadway."

What FAMOUS director was offered $1 million to direct "Mame" but turned it down? (NOT Cukor!)

Hint: This was in 1969 and the director had yet to make the uber-successful film he is most associated with.

X : William Wyler

Y: Kay Medford

for the role of Fanny's mother in Funny Girl.

According to "Road Show: The Fall of Film Musicals in the 60s",

"Kenneth Hyman (whoever he is) was so pleased with his work on (the, as of this offer,not yet released) "Finian's Rainbow" he offer FRANCIS FORD COPPOLLA $1 million to direct the screen version of Broadway's Mame."

Just ponder THAT for a minute!

Brando as Beaurigard?

• Like 1

I saw yesterday Reader's Digest tribute  magazine to Bob Hope.  A full  picture of Lucy celebrating her birthday on the set of Facts of Life and Bob's #8 best TV appearance was I Love Lucy with a color pic of Bob and LUcy.  I think #5 was his Salute to Vaudeville which didn't mention LUcy in it but we know she did great in it.

By the way where is the Lucy tribute magazine.  

Got this absolutely terrific bio of Sammy Davis, three Lucy mentions.  It's called Deconstructing Sammy by Matt Birkbeck, from 2008.  One of the all time best celebrity bios I've ever gotten my hands on, now this is the way a Lucy bio should be done, full of info, every detail, you really find out about Sammy, from the beginning to his fifty million dollar career, the many leeches around him who were stealing his possessions as he lay dying and had ripped him off his whole life.  The sad end of Altovise, living like a pauper, the IRS hounding her and the millions he owed as his inner circle had grabbed everything they could while he spent money like it was water.  Terrible father but incredibly gifted entertainer.  Too bad Lucy was not there to help him at the end as he died the year after her.  Will list the three Lucy mentions tomorrow.

I know I'm behind the times here, but at least it's the new edition!...

Finally reading Desilu. I've only made it as far as chapter one, but I'm already in love. It's quite hard to put down, what with all this old information mingling with stuff I've never read before. I appreciate the authors' non-fairy tale take on everything, while never crossing over into witch hint territory. It's rather refreshing.

Just realized you meant the movie, not the show lol!

And what a cross-over that would be! Considering FOL aired opposite Life with Lucy.

How about this 20-20 hindsight idea? Instead of a new format, Lucy could have taken over the Charlotte Rae role on Facts of Life instead of Cloris Leachman and they could have renamed it "Facts of Life with Lucy".

I'm not sure, but I think Cloris took the role the same year it was opposite LWL. And didn't FOL continue at least one more season?