Mister Hepburn

New Lucy Books

Seems to me this book was mentioned in a thread but I can't find it.  Tom Shales book "Legends: Remembering American's Greatest Stars".  It's an affectionate look at stars of the past with a chapter about Lucy AND a separate one about Desi.  Lucy's in entitled "Wildcat" although there's no mention of the show per se.   I know the name Tom Shales.  I think he was one of the TV columnists that was particularly cruel in his review of "Life with Lucy".   He devotes most of his chapter to I Love Lucy.  And he's so very right about one thing.  It wasn't the SLAPSTICK that made the series popular, it was the HEART.   (If you think about it, what percentage of episodes were built around a big slapstick, physical comedy scene?) .  This was written in 1989 so he can be excused for repeating the Viv 20 pounds overweight contract story but why do people like this one so much??.  He lumps all her post ILL TV work into one statement:  "the chemistry just wasn't there".  

HOWEVER, that part that galled me.....he interviewed Lucy during LWL time and has this to say  (CAPS ARE MINE) : "She had eyebrow pencil where there were no eyebrows and pink lipstick where there were NO LIPS.  She looked even OLDER THAN HER 75 YEARS".   First off, why write this at all?  what's the point?  Secondly how much older than 75 years can any old person look?, I gotta ask.  There's just something about Lucy aging that seems to make writers MAD. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luvsbway said:

Self-published no doubt. What the hell? It's like the comments section of a Lucy Facebook group in book form.

His other books (and I use the term loosely) are just beyond ridiculous -- and you just know there are some individuals out there (and I'm sure we can both list a handful by name) who will take this bullshit as gospel because they want to believe. 

So what's the low-down on this dynamic duo? I've looked them up and it appears they're former travel writers who've subsequently latched onto the whole "Hollywood Babylon" craze. Do they just make stuff up or do they simply publish all the nastiest rumours that have circulated over the years?

2 hours ago, Mot Morenzi said:

Do they just make stuff up or do they simply publish all the nastiest rumours that have circulated over the years?

Yes, and yes. 

I’m sure every page will feature a word for word account of a private conversation that no one could have possibly heard that features improbable biographical information that wouldn’t come up in a conversation and a salacious sexual detail. 

25 minutes ago, HarryCarter said:

I’m sure every page will feature a word for word account of a private conversation that no one could have possibly heard that features improbable biographical information that wouldn’t come up in a conversation and a salacious sexual detail. 

That sounds about right.

Don’t forget that every male star “interviewed” will have invariably propositioned the writer.

• Haha 1

This is what I predict the book will be like:

“Upon their first meeting, Carole Lombard said to Lucy, “Lucille, I was born Jane Alice Peters in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I was nominated for an Oscar for My Man Godfrey back in ‘36. Now, I’m married to Clark Gable, “the King of Hollywood.” Do you want to know what he’s like in bed?” (Continued for several pages)

• Haha 3

BEWARE of anything written by Darwin Porter.  He makes Boze Hadleigh look like Edward R Morrow----which is like saving Doris Ziffel makes Mother Burnside look like Mamie Van Doren. 

• Haha 1

That summary of the "book" had me laughing. It's the first time I've ever heard George Sanders described as "Zsa Zsa Gabor's suicidal husband".

• Haha 1

What an awful book.  The description of it is horrible.  He gets ILL ended in 1956 and from there lies pile up faster than manure