Discovering Lucy for the First Time

So, some of you discovered Lucy in the meth labs and with heroin addicts huh?  LUCY would be so proud, LOL!  Things get really fuzzy as you age so i THINK or keep saying that i watched Lucy downstairs at my grandparents and recollect that like Brock, seems she was just always there, my earliest memories are from The Lucy Desi comedy hour which played every summer and Lucy teaching that boxer to fight to a dance routine which was a Desilu Playhouse.  But it seems my grandma adored Lucy and always watched her so we did too.  Early fifties, but tv only started in '52 here so i guess we watched the shows in reruns mostly.

• 4 weeks later...

I was 10 years old and I Love Lucy was the first show I discovered. I was immediately in love, not just with the Ricardos, but with the Arnazes as well. I remember how excited I was when I found out that they were married in real life... and the devastation when I discovered they had divorced. I actually boycotted the show for about 2 months to "punish" them. Hey, what do you expect, I was 10? lol. 

I remember seeing it and being fascinated with it.  I don't know, maybe it was the dresses or the make up because I never saw women look like that in my household growing up!  I remember watching it on tv in the summer when school was out.  I liked the opening with the script writing over the heart and the music.  I guess I was like 8 or so.  I remember my mother saying to me "That is her real husband, she isn't married to him anymore, she married Gary Morton.  Her second show was pretty good with Viv and Mr. Mooney, but her show with her kids was TERRRRIBLE."  I kind of got hooked because when THAT show came on, it really transported me away and really kept my interest. I knew it was not reality but now I realize I wanted it to be reality for me (lol).  I am sure that was the addictive property for me with this show .. wanting MY reality to be as carefree and fun as the I Love Lucy reality seemed to me.  I remember being excited when we finally got a vcr so I could record the show and have the DOSE of escapism as often as I wanted.  Sometimes I would play tapes all day and night... I don't remember many mid to late 80's sitcoms since I was immersed in THIS show. 

Then they released those collector's vcr tapes with the colorized intro, 3 episodes a piece, with the bubbling hearts, cute scenes from the series, title of the show and original airdate of the episodes.  My first tape came with Bart Andrew's I Love Lucy Book where I found an address for Mr. Watson's We Love Lucy and the obsession GREW! 

I was 10 years old and I Love Lucy was the first show I discovered. I was immediately in love, not just with the Ricardos, but with the Arnazes as well. I remember how excited I was when I found out that they were married in real life... and the devastation when I discovered they had divorced. I actually boycotted the show for about 2 months to "punish" them. Hey, what do you expect, I was 10? lol. 

I have a friend who's getting into Lucy. I'm getting pretty good at 'converting' them at this point. She thinks it's totally weird that they were married and that it's even weirder that they divorced. 

• 2 months later...