LucyFest 2015

The Post-Journal, Jamestown, NY – Living Out Loud – Carlin Talks Upcoming Lucy Fest Show, by Gavin Paterniti - “Comedy with a bit of revelatory twist and hint of solemnity, will be offered by Kelly Carlin, who brings her renowned, one-woman show to Lucille Ball Festival of Comedy, Reg Lenna Center for the Arts, 3:30 p.m., August 1. Carlin says she, from a young age, found Lucille to be among her biggest inspirations, loving that Lucy was always fearless in making herself the butt of jokes, and fearless in revealing her own humanity, finding that 'such a great gift she gave to us, helping us realize we're all screw-ups in some form or another; but, still loved by many,'” published for this date in 2015.

Sounds great! I look forward to hearing what she and Melissa have to say this year.

Meet up at Taco Hut, Joyce?

ABSOLUTELY, LOVE; ALSO LOOKING FORWARD TO FINALLY STAYING UP LATE FOR YOUR WORLD-FAMOUS AFTER-HOURS PARTY; OF COURSE, THAT MEANS I HAVE TO FIND SOMEONE WITH A COUCH OR CHAIR FOR ME TO SNOOZE IN BEFORE HEADING HOME!!!!!!! :D

• Like 1

Just settling into the hotel now. It's always so much fun to know that invariably Justin and his lovely mom are always the first people we run into. haha Sounds like you got a great haul. I picked up a three Lucy magazines from the 50s -- including that newspaper supplement with Lucy (with aid from Lucie) modelling Easter Hats, a matchbook from Desi's golf course, and an invoice 1961 that tickled my funny bone: Andrew Hickox haggling over whether Desi's jewellery should be left on Lucy's insurance policy. LOL

After visiting the Ric Store, I took a stroll downtown to stretch my legs after a long car trip and took in the gift shops at the museum and the Desilu Playhouse. They were both bustling with new faces (customers) I haven't seen before, which is encouraging. Both shops were also full of up-to-date merchandise, which is an improvement over the last couple of years. A fun feature this year is all the planters along the main drag feature signs with interesting quotes from Lucy and Desi.

As per tradition, the former Holiday Inn seems to be under new ownership. Or, more accurately, it is closed with no sign on it whatsoever. What a waste! Some fans seem to have commandeered the newly renovated Best Western for a "shindig" complete with red carpet tonight at 7.30 or so. I might amble down to take in the action, even though I wasn't specifically invited to do so. :D I have a stake in the lobby, so I feel that's my entree. ;)

• Like 1

They have panels outlining the whole vision of the Comedy Center a bit to the east of the train station. It's an ambitious plan! It's a shame the image of Lucy from the illuminated corner appears to be gone from the latest design.

I didn't get to see that... will have to take a look. I once saw an animated .gif of that design and from the looks of it, those are meant to be screens out on the facade of the building, so they will probably constantly change. However, it would be nice for them to have kept her in the design... I know they have a poster of that original design in the windows of that Jamestown Renaissance building.

Brock why don't you go down to that lobby and see if you can wangle your way in.  Maybe there will be a big crowd to get an autograph.  Sadly it might just be Jimmy getting in to town and I'm sure you have tons of those.

Thanks for that piece of memorabilia. 

You would think with all this influx of tourism the new center will bring they could at least get that hulk of a hotel up and running.  I wonder how many rooms it has.

When will your pilgrimage to the famed Taco Hut be?

The official Day 1 is very groovy so far! I skipped the Tropicana Lunch today and checked out the silent auction at the train station and Christina Carroll's INCREDIBLE tribute to her dad and their art. And some of it was for sale too! Now off to see if the Fenton Museum is open and Lou Ann Graham and Ric Wyman's book signings... stay tuned!

The Members Only Party was pretty groovy this time around. They had a costume (Lucy's cowboy outfit from Lucy & The Used Car Dealer and the Milton Bradley commercials), Pivot Pool to work the Milton Bradley Theme, and a selection of Lucy's ritzy Bic lighters, purses, briefcases and handbags, many of which were monogrammed. One of the items included was a red travel diary that belonged to "Lucy Arnaz" -- who I assume was actually Lucie because, in case of emergency, one was supposed to contact "Mr. and Mrs. Gary Morton" -- and this was stapled to the back of one of the cards inside:

2ppd3zr.jpg

Clockwise from Sherman, we have Ralph Hart, Lucie, ?? and Keith Thobodeaux. Who is the mystery gal?

Today has been busy so far. Brock and I have been traveling around Jamestown this morning, given that there weren't too many events earlier today. We started off by checking out the activities at the train station. The train station lobby is once again filled with great Lucy-related items, including several outfits and various articles and photos related to Lucy and Desi (mostly related to their trip to Jamestown in 56), which line the walls. They also have a photo booth and a merchandise stand set up again.We then checked out the auction, and I am pleased to see that there are some great goodies up for auction this year. There are lots of collectables, and some great stuff from Bob Carroll Jr.'s estate (including his "Love, Lucy" ice bucket, and two of the glasses that went with it). Lou Ann also put up one of Viv's black shawls, which is very nice (the starting bid is $650).

After that, Brock, his mom, and I headed over to the Dykeman Young Gallery to see the Bob Carroll, Jr. Art Gallery. There are lots of great paintings displayed, many of which are for sale (Brock and I both bought a few pieces). Some items of interest at the gallery: A photo of Bob taken by Richard Crenna, and two paintings painted by Desi (one was of Bob). At the gallery we also got the chance to talk with Christina Carroll for a while, who is very kind and great to talk with.

Next on the agenda was heading over to Fenton History Museum... which was very interesting. We'd both been there before, but it has been years, and it was nice to visit again. The Lucy room there has some great photos, particulary from the '56 Forever Darling visit, including some great color photos. Although we weren't supposed to take photos, I took a few... which I will post later.

We then headed over to the book signing for Lou Ann (and apparently also Ric... but he left since nobody ended up buying his books). Lou Ann is doing quite well. Just a few minutes ago, Brock and I had a conversation with her and she seems very good, and very sharp. She was selling two books, "Viv's Scrapbook" (which she compiled a while ago), and "Memories of My Big Sister, Viv". I have yet to look through the new one, but it looks interesting.

After the Lou Ann book signing, I went to eat at the old Robertos, now Fresca... which is has some pretty decent food. Then I headed over to the Member's Only event, where I met up with Brock again. He just posted a recap of that, and I can't say much more about it.

Next up: Lou Ann Tropicana Dinner, Stand up Showcase. I will post more tonight, along with photos.

~Justin

• Like 1

Thank you both for your wonderful recaps. Looking forward to the pics. Post some of that stuff at the Dykeman and train station.

I remember the FD stuff from over at the Fenton. The color pics floored by 17 year old brain.

Ha! on Ric's book. I'm assuming he just had the one.